Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voters turning out early in LPC
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=56067.72

Residents turning out to vote early

Craig Davison
For The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - Although there is less than a week to go before the election, many people have already voted.

More than 5,000 people have already voted early at the La Porte and Michigan City courthouses, according to staff at the La Porte early voting polling place.

County Councilman Rich Mrozinski said at Monday's council meeting that he spoke to the Clerk's office and that the average turnout in previous elections for early voting was 1,500 to 1,800 people.

At the La Porte Courthouse on Tuesday afternoon, staff at the early voting place were telling voters that they faced waits of up to an hour and 15 minutes. People filled the nearby benches and chairs, waiting for their turn to cast a vote.

Margie Shock and Fran Mrozinski (no relation to the county councilman), both of La Porte, were waiting to vote. Although neither had voted early before, they were out for lunch, decided they weren't hungry and Shock proposed they go vote.

"Nothing better to do," said Fran Mrozinski. "It's such a nasty day out there."

Although, with the 45-minute wait they were told to expect, Shock said they may be getting lunch and supper by the time they got done.

Fran Mrozinski said it might be fortunate to vote early, because if the lines are this long for early voting, Nov. 4 could mean a longer wait.

"Election Day is going to be worse," she said.

Polls are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the La Porte and Michigan City courthouses. On Tuesday, Nov. 4, election day, the polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Dave
I voted early today. It took about an hour, there were about 30 people in line when I got there and probably 40 people there when I left. No griping about the wait from anyone so far as I noticed, everyone seemed to be in good spirits.

Election day is going to be busy!
kharris
QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 30 2008, 03:55 PM) *

I voted early today. It took about an hour, there were about 30 people in line when I got there and probably 40 people there when I left. No griping about the wait from anyone so far as I noticed, everyone seemed to be in good spirits.

Election day is going to be busy!

Election day will certainly be busy (it really is nice to see a high turnout for a change), but the process will certainly be different than the early voting. With the early voting they have to take the time to look each voter up in the voter registration system before the voter can vote. On election day folks will walk in show their ID, sign the book and step to the next open machine. Another thing to realize when considering the time it taking to vote ... if it is taking voters longer to get through the ballot then it may mean that they are not taking the straight party approach ... a good thing for at least some of us on the ballot.
m4liberty
Good luck Mr. Harris! I sure won't be voting a straight ticket.
Roger Kaputnik
Ditto, Mr. H. I cannot imagine anyone NOT voting for you!
kharris
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 31 2008, 10:49 AM) *

Ditto, Mr. H. I cannot imagine anyone NOT voting for you!

Thanks for the vote of convidence ... and I hope .. the VOTE!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.