Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Donnelly wins second term
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41176.75

Donnelly headed to second term

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY ­- U.S. Congressman Joe Donnelly, D-Granger, cruised to an early victory Tuesday over Republican opponent Luke Puckett, receiving more than twice as many votes with some 70 percent of the total vote.

In La Porte County, Donnelly received 32,980 votes (71.95 percent), while Puckett had 11,248 votes (24.54 percent). Libertarian candidate Mark Vogel ran a distant third with 1,607 votes (3.51 percent).

Donnelly, 53, Granger, has served in the House for one term and said the chance to represent La Porte County and the rest of the Second District for another two years is something he takes seriously. He said his goals for the next term are to continue working to create jobs in the district, end unfair trade deals and work to protect savings and retirement.

He intends to serve in Congress with a bipartisan spirit.

"I try to do the right job for our community," he said.

Donnelly traveled throughout the district Tuesday, with stops in South Bend, La Porte and Michigan City.

"I'm very grateful to the citizens of La Porte County and the Second District to be able to do this again," he said.

Puckett, 39, Goshen, captured fewer than 27 percent of the vote and Vogel, 28, South Bend, drew under 4 percent. As a first-time candidate for political office, Vogel said he was happy with the number of votes he got, particularly since he spent about $200 on his campaign for a Web site.

"I am definitely going to run again two years from now," Vogel said.

He plans to stay politically active and pursue issues of concern to him until the next election.

Craig Davison contributed to this report.

Roger Kaputnik
I am ok with this, but I was very unhappy with his support for the bailout. On the other hand, NRA rating is A. We may need that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.