http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41176.75

With less experience, Hendricks takes surveyor

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - In the race for La Porte County surveyor, Democrat Tony Hendricks held a comfortable lead over Republican John T. Saylor and was declared the victor late Tuesday.

Hendricks, a Michigan City resident, had a 62.23 to 37.77 percent advantage over Saylor. Hendricks garnered 27,083 votes, while Saylor nabbed 16,437 votes.

Hendricks had said he would give the surveyor's office a clear direction in the coming years.

"I want to have a clear, concise direction for the La Porte County Surveyor's Office and have all the employees on board to achieve the goals of the plan while saving taxpayers money and keeping the level of service to the taxpayer at the highest professional level," Hendricks said in an earlier story.

Saylor, who gathered with other Republican candidates at Silver Palace on Tuesday night, said he had expected to do better in the election. When asked if he got the word of his candidacy out well enough, Saylor said, "Apparently not."

"I'm a numbers guy," Saylor added. "I see the numbers, and apparently it didn't work out for me."

Saylor, who has been a licensed surveyor for 20 years, said he hoped experience would give him the advantage over Hendricks, whom he said wasn't nearly as qualified as he.

Hendricks has been a licensed surveyor for two years.

Saylor noted he may try to run again for the office during the next election.

Hendricks did not return calls to The News-Dispatch by deadline.