http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41176.75

Sullivan will become next county coroner

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - With a 69 to 31 percent advantage in Tuesday's election, John P. Sullivan was declared the new La Porte County Coroner late Tuesday night.

Sullivan received 30,319 votes, or 68.93 percent, while Republican Dan Stephens received 13,665 votes or 31.07 percent.

"The people of La Porte and Michigan City have been so kind to me over the last many years," said Sullivan, a certified medical-legal death investigator and chief deputy coroner for the last 10 years. He attributed his victory to "30 years of doing a good job."

Stephens gave Sullivan credit for running a good campaign.

"I wish him well. I congratulate him on his success and we'll see how the next four years go," Stephens said.

Stephens mostly attributed Sullivan's victory to straight-line party voting.

"I anticipated a much closer race," Stephens added.

Sullivan has stated he will make several specific improvements to the coroner's office. He will continue in-service training for deputy coroners and coroners, fully computerize the office and request a new coroner's vehicle.

Sullivan added he was proud of his campaign staff and organizers.

"This is what happens when you run a nice, clean race with no negative campaigning," Sullivan said.

Sullivan will replace current La Porte County Coroner Dr. Vidya Kora, who is nearing the end of his second four-year term.