Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Michigan City Basketball
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
Pages: 1, 2
Johnny Rush
You know how when some TV series have successful first seasons, they try to figure out how to boost ratings that much more...and they start importing the stars? Well, guess who we talked into doing a handful of games for us this year? This will be released to the media tommorrow morning.

to Broadcast Entire Michigan City Wolves Basketball Schedule

The season begins with a live broadcast from the Wolf Den as the Wolves host Michigan City Marquette on November 26th

radio has added citybythelake.org founder Michael Gresham to the broadcast team that was nominated for the Indiana Broadcaster Association’s Spectrum Award for excellence in Sports Broadcasting.

Michigan City, IN- November 19, 2008- Adam Parkhouse will, once again, join Matt Werkema or Michael Gresham in broadcasting the entire basketball schedule of the Michigan City Wolves live on AM The season begins with a broadcast starting at 7pm from the Wolf Den as the Wolves host Michigan City Marquette, andwill cover all of the games and provide interviews and highlights throughout the week.

The basketball broadcast will be produced and broadcast locally without the use of a third party. General Manager and morning personality Ric Federighi pointed out that "The listener feedback to the Michigan City football schedule was phenomenal, so we decided to do the same thing for basketball." He added "Focusing on one team, throughout the season, really lets the audience get to know the players and it really shines a light on the local student athletes, it’s your local team on your local station, ."

The sports broadcast team of Adam Parkhouse and Matt Werkema received a nomination from the Indiana Broadcasters Association for their football broadcasting last year. radio was honored to receive two Spectrum Awards from the Indiana Broadcasters Association, one for Community Involvement and one for “Mornings with Ric Federighi”. adio also offers live streaming of the games a so that friends and family of our local student athletes that have left the area can follow along all season long.
###
Southsider2k12
I am so excited to be on board, even if it is just for five games or so. Some of the greatest times in my life were as a broadcaster of Manchester boys High School, and Manchester College womens college, basketball. I am honored to be jumping behind the mic to call the shots for my hometown basketball team for the first time in my life. The only way it could mean more is if it were the Elston Red Devils taking the floor, but being a color guy for the Michigan City Wolves is a huge privilege! I can't wait for opening night against Marquette.
MC Born & Raised
Ditto for me. Should be a lot of fun. I really enjoy broadcasting and majored in it for a while in college. So this helps me scratch an itch that was an irritant for a while. Football was a good time and we got a lot of positive feedback so hopefully basketball is as positive an experience.
eric.hanke

I look forward to the coverage.

How does one purchase season tickets?
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 18 2008, 04:00 PM) *

I look forward to the coverage.

How does one purchase season tickets?

The high school athletic department (873-2043) has them on sale during school hours.
eric.hanke
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Nov 18 2008, 08:50 PM) *

The high school athletic department (873-2043) has them on sale during school hours.

Thanks! Will call tomorrow...
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 18 2008, 03:00 PM) *

I am so excited to be on board, even if it is just for five games or so. Some of the greatest times in my life were as a broadcaster of Manchester boys High School, and Manchester College womens college, basketball. I am honored to be jumping behind the mic to call the shots for my hometown basketball team for the first time in my life. The only way it could mean more is if it were the Elston Red Devils taking the floor, but being a color guy for the Michigan City Wolves is a huge privilege! I can't wait for opening night against Marquette.

S'Sider, you'll be a fantastic addition to the team. Congrats! Can't wait to hear you on the air.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 18 2008, 08:51 PM) *

Thanks! Will call tomorrow...

Let me know what the cost is if you would be so kind!
eric.hanke
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 19 2008, 08:25 AM) *

Let me know what the cost is if you would be so kind!

Student Season Pass for all sports $25.00

Adult Season Pass for all winter sports $25.00

My youngest son (5 years old) is free smile.gif

There is a scrimmage tomorrow night (11/20/08) at 6:30PM. They may have a person selling season passes. I am waiting for confirmation from Debbie at the MCHS Athletic Office.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 19 2008, 01:29 PM) *

Student Season Pass for all sports $25.00

Adult Season Pass for all winter sports $25.00

My youngest son (5 years old) is free smile.gif

There is a scrimmage tomorrow night (11/20/08) at 6:30PM. They may have a person selling season passes. I am waiting for confirmation from Debbie at the MCHS Athletic Office.

Interesting. I may have to try to get out there after the kids go to bed and do a little scouting.
eric.hanke
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 19 2008, 02:33 PM) *

Interesting. I may have to try to get out there after the kids go to bed and do a little scouting.

Maybe I will see you there.
Southsider2k12
Well I did go up and observe most of the scrimmage last night at the Wolf Den.

The first thing that really stands out is they are a small team. They are going to run a small line up of essentially 3 guards and 2 forwards out there. City lacks the classic big man, or even a big bruiser posing as a big man.

The guard play on the other hand is going to carry this team. Junior Adam Harmon looks to be the main PG, and is a calming influence on the team with the ball in his hands. He also has a quick first step to the basket and a nice jumper from 3 point range in. Junior guards Arias Clark and Bryan Allen got most of the rest of the playing time. With a true Freshman in Carlos McCormick and Sophomore Shereff Knight getting a lot of playing time in the scrimmage as well. I don't know how much McCormick and Knight will play this year, but both are explosive guys who look to need to bulk up a bit. They both make the future look bright in the backcourt.

The front line is going to be much more challenged in the DAC. Their center is mainstay senior Nathan Scully. He has a pretty nice post game and works the boards hard. Fellow senior Brandon Pawloski while the brawniest guy on the team, is more a perimeter player, looking to get his shots at the three point stripe off of the screen in the middle and pop to the arc. Senior Darrell Hopkins is the tallest player on the team at 6'6" but is still more a rangy forward, with nice hops around the basket. The front line is rounded out by Serior DaQuavay Sherrod, who looks to be manning the 3 spot when he is on the floor, junior Will Razor, and senior Darrell Hopkins and James Sanders, a sophomore.

With a real quick, and highly unscientific look at this squad last night in a scrimmage against Andrian that included some custom rules allowing the coaches the flexibility to run what was essentially a open practice, it looks to me like this City team is going to have to win with their guard play, and their quickness. At pretty much every position on the floor, the Wolves are going to have a speed and athleticism advantage, while having a size and strength disadvantage. They are going to have to win with pressure defense, hands in the passing lanes, three point shooting, and smart decision-making. Based off of the little bit I saw, I could see this squad being a 13-7 or 12-8 team, and making some long nights for rivals in the DAC.
Roger Kaputnik
How is LP loooking? That is usually the Big Game of the season, and I hope this year repeats what happened last year.
Southsider2k12
Not a clue. The only thing I saw was the scrimmage.
Roger Kaputnik
Howsabout it , MCborn?
Southsider2k12
REMINDER! The opening game of the season is Wednesday nite! Yours truely and Adam Parkhouse will be on the call from the Wolves Den with a 7:30 pm tip off against Marquette. BE THERE!
Roger Kaputnik
I would be SHOCKED if there is any available seat in the gym Wednesday night.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 24 2008, 01:26 PM) *

Unless they do not open the top section of the arena anymore, there will be thousands of seats available.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 24 2008, 01:26 PM) *

Unfortunately, there will be PLENTY of available seats. As was already said,they barely open up the top anymore. The only time you'll see that gym filled is during regional.

As for LP, we'll see. They have some good athletes and have a chance to be pretty good. I've always thought they're among the best-coached teams in this or any other area, so that's always good for a few extra wins.
Ang
This was my favorite time of year when I worked at MCHS!! SSder, you are going to have a blast! I'm so excited for you.

And if you run into Marsha who works with tickets (petite blonde with VERY blue eyes!) tell her Hello for me and to write.
Roger Kaputnik
This should be good! Go, Mike & WIMS! By the way, did you notice that they introduce you as Mike G. from CBTL on the radio?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 25 2008, 08:30 AM) *

This should be good! Go, Mike & WIMS! By the way, did you notice that they introduce you as Mike G. from CBTL on the radio?

Unfortunately the streamer for WIMS is blocked at work, so I haven't gotten to hear!
Roger Kaputnik
What did Freddy Ricky say to get blocked???
JHeath
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 25 2008, 08:30 AM) *

I noticed it. biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 25 2008, 09:22 AM) *

What did Freddy Ricky say to get blocked???

Almost all streaming media is blocked. We need the bandwidth.
Southsider2k12
Back to the original topic...

Tonight is the season opener! 7:30 tip off, myself and Adam Parkhouse on the call. 1420 AM or WIMSradio.com if you can't tune it in!
Homey
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 26 2008, 02:29 PM) *

Back to the original topic...

Tonight is the season opener! 7:30 tip off, myself and Adam Parkhouse on the call. 1420 AM or WIMSradio.com if you can't tune it in!

I was in high school...Elston as a matter of fact when we had basketball fever. I wish we could turn back the hands of time to restore some of the excitement we had during that time. What a great time to be in high school and what a team we had in the late 60's. Brings back wonderful memories smile.gif
eric.hanke
Not able to attend the game. Mike and Adam are doing an excellent job on AM 1420 WIMS.

If you can't attend the game and want to listen to local coverage online. Head on over to The Talk of the South Shore AM 1420 WIMS RADIO

AM 1420 WIMS Radio
JHeath
Great job tonight, Mike & Adam. You two make a great team.
eric.hanke

What was the final score? Once the game ended WIMS coverage ended, almost immediately...
Johnny Rush
AMAZING job by Mike tonight...I cannot thank you enough. It's the hardest thing to just walk in off the street after a decade of not doing games, introduce yourself to your on air partner and just deliver like that. I was expecting stutters, stammers, people talking over each other...really dug the broadcast.

The final score was Wolves 74 Blazers 38.

We had plenty of calls and emails from the southsider fan club, so we are jumpin' up the replay and will put it on for a 9am Thanksgiving broadcast, as well as the usual 10am Sunday broadcast.

Is there a market for a post-game show? We have experimented with it in the past...if enough people want to call in and talk Wolves...we can keep the show going on game nights. We can't stay too late with the broadcast team, since Adam has to talk to the coaches and players and write his stories for the News Dispatch. Send me an email rush@wimsradio.com if you are willing to be a semi-regular caller to a local post game show...
eric.hanke
QUOTE(Johnny Rush @ Nov 26 2008, 10:23 PM) *

AMAZING job by Mike tonight...I cannot thank you enough. It's the hardest thing to just walk in off the street after a decade of not doing games, introduce yourself to your on air partner and just deliver like that. I was expecting stutters, stammers, people talking over each other...really dug the broadcast.

The final score was Wolves 74 Blazers 38.

We had plenty of calls and emails from the southsider fan club, so we are jumpin' up the replay and will put it on for a 9am Thanksgiving broadcast, as well as the usual 10am Sunday broadcast.

Is there a market for a post-game show? We have experimented with it in the past...if enough people want to call in and talk Wolves...we can keep the show going on game nights. We can't stay too late with the broadcast team, since Adam has to talk to the coaches and players and write his stories for the News Dispatch. Send me an email rush@wimsradio.com if you are willing to be a semi-regular caller to a local post game show...

I can't agree more. Mike "owned" the broadcast last night. Mike is a natural sports announcer and on air radio personality. There were very few blunders; my only criticism would be the hand off to the station for commercials and station identification.

The post game show could include a "player of the game” where a local establishment can donate cash, services, or a gift certificate as the sponsor. The sponsor would also donate money to a scholarship fund that would be given to a senior player or the booster club for their scholarship fund at the conclusion of the year/season.

Not sure if it is technically possible, but why not try to get a coach or player on the air following the game?
Southsider2k12
Well I am glad everyone really enjoyed it. I think I had as much fun as anyone else did. The game went really well and I can't wait to hear a replay to get a first hand listen to how it all sounded. The broadcast itself was surprisingly smooth as it had been a few years since I was lucky enough to sit behind the mic and call a game. It was a special night for me, one I will never forget. I can't wait to do it again!

Thanks again everyone!

As for a post game show, let us know what everyone thinks. If you all want to hear a little bit more post game analysis, I know I can stick around for a while to recap.
Ang
I was a guest on air once. It was a lot of fun. Adam and I talked about different "fun" nights I put together for BB games. It was my effort to get more people to come to the games. I think it was working, too. I noticed that our ticket sales were slowly climbing despite the team not winning games.
But, alas, the people on Carrol Ave had other plans for us.....
Roger Kaputnik
SSider, I heard the rebroadcast on Thursday, and you did a SPECTACULAR job! Hearing you describe the action, I was THERE! And you know that is your job doing play-by-play. Ric got a text from me urging him and you to find a way for you to do more games. Very impressive! You and Adam worked well together, I got the game, and I got some bball talk. What was missing? Bupkis!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 27 2008, 08:46 AM) *

Well I am glad everyone really enjoyed it. I think I had as much fun as anyone else did. The game went really well and I can't wait to hear a replay to get a first hand listen to how it all sounded. The broadcast itself was surprisingly smooth as it had been a few years since I was lucky enough to sit behind the mic and call a game. It was a special night for me, one I will never forget. I can't wait to do it again!

Thanks again everyone!

As for a post game show, let us know what everyone thinks. If you all want to hear a little bit more post game analysis, I know I can stick around for a while to recap.

After catching the Thanksgiving day replay, I have to say I am thrilled with the way the broadcast went. Adam Parkhouse does a spectacular job and is really easy to work with. He picked up on every cue and pause and had a great thought ready to fit into whatever time frame got thrown at him. He made my life really easy, and helped the broadcast sound very good. After not donned a headset since the 1996 Huntington Regionals, I don't have a complaint in the world. There are a couple of little things I want to work on, but the show gets a biased A+ from me. cool.gif

And to all who go to the games, stop by the Northeast corner of the Wolf Pack Gym and say hi before the games, early on in halftime, or after the games!
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=19266

ONE-SIDED RIVALRY
Wolves maintain their dominance of the Blazers

Adam Parkhouse
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City resumed its boys basketball "rivalry" with Marquette on Wednesday and the Wolves' superior speed and athleticism made this one-sided series remain just that.

The Wolves pressured the Blazers into 32 turnovers and just 25 percent shooting on the way to a 74-38 victory, the biggest winning margin in the history of the series.

"One goal was to hold them under 40, and we did that," City coach Bob Buscher said. "But we had too many turnovers and we didn't do time-score well at all. That's something the kids have got to understand.

"But a win is a win."

This was the sixth meeting between the schools since the consolidation to form MCHS, and the Wolves have won each of those meetings, the last coming to open the 2002-03 season.

This was an important game for the Wolves, though, who needed to prove they could overcome the losses of a talented senior class to graduation.

The most key cog in City's "rebuilding" project may be 6-foot-6 senior Darrell Hopkins, who had an incredible debut. He scored 15 points to go along with 20 rebounds, controlling the glass on both sides of the floor.

"Darrell was big on the boards," Buscher said.

In the opening minutes Marquette actually had a lead, but the Wolves' defense would force 10 turnovers by quarter's end and two baskets each from Hopkins, DaQuvay Sherrod and Brandon Pawloski gave the Wolves a 17-5 lead after one quarter.

City couldn't shake off Marquette in the second quarter, extending the margin by just two heading into halftime at 32-18. In the first half, City's half-court execution struggled and the Wolves piled up 14 turnovers while shooting 7-of-17 from the free-throw line, much worse if Pawloski's 3-for-3 is taken away.

But City began to put the game away to begin the third quarter, going on a quick 8-0 run that included 3-pointers from Sherrod and Pawloski. Pawloski went on to score a game-high 20 points, while Sherrod was just behind that with 19 points and seven rebounds.

"I'm thinking, gee, they're only down by 14 points and can get back in this game," Buscher said of how felt going into the half. "(Pawloski) had a good all-around game. He's probably our most consistent outside shooting threat."

City led by 19 going into the fourth and outscored Marquette 24-7 in the fourth as the Blazers shot just 2-of-17 from the field.

"There were a lot of good positives," Marquette coach Jason Hawkins said. "We know what we're capable of, (City) was just the better team today. They played pretty well."

Hawkins may be of that opinion, but Buscher knows his team has plenty to improve on to be competitive in the Duneland Conference. The Wolves open up play in the DAC in their next game, Dec. 5, at home against Portage.

"I felt like we had some really good practices and the attitude has really improved," Buscher said. "What upsets me is that we had to come out in our first game and show as many things as we did."

Hawkins, even in the blowout loss, saw some positives for his team moving forward.

"We saw some people that can play together," Hawkins said. "That's a start, especially when you lose so many people."

Notes: City won the junior varsity game 79-20, ending the game on an 18-0 run. Four Wolves scored in double figures: Sam Bellamy (18), Steven Ray (14), James Sanders (13) and Grady Byrnes (11). ... Sophomore Shereff Knight, expected to shoulder a big load this season, couldn't stay on the floor with foul trouble. He didn't score and missed both of his field goal attempts. ... Marquette's J.J. Lutz led the Blazers in scoring, earning all 11 of his points in the first half. He also tied Pat Dabkowski with a team-high seven rebounds.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 28 2008, 01:09 PM) *

After catching the Thanksgiving day replay, I have to say I am thrilled with the way the broadcast went. Adam Parkhouse does a spectacular job and is really easy to work with. He picked up on every cue and pause and had a great thought ready to fit into whatever time frame got thrown at him. He made my life really easy, and helped the broadcast sound very good. After not donned a headset since the 1996 Huntington Regionals, I don't have a complaint in the world. There are a couple of little things I want to work on, but the show gets a biased A+ from me. cool.gif

And to all who go to the games, stop by the Northeast corner of the Wolf Pack Gym and say hi before the games, early on in halftime, or after the games!

Heard about you again on WIMS this morning, SSider. Ric said you were "stellar". Great job!
JHeath
rolleyes.gif Apparently, Nick Dettman either forgot or doesn't realize that Adam Parkhouse is a part of the WIMS broadcasting team for MC Boys Basketball...all season long, both home and away games. (Read the 3rd line of the article for an explanation.) Should we send a letter or 3 to the News-Dispatch, just as a reminder?

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=19353

12/2/2008 11:00:00 AM
HOME TESTING
City opens DAC slate at Wolves Den against Portage

Nick Dettmann
The News-Dispatch

Michigan City coach Bob Buscher and the Wolves want to start the conference season on the right paw.

Especially at home.

The Wolves will host Portage at 6 p.m. in the Duneland Conference opener for both teams. The game will be broadcast by 95.9 WEFM.

"To do well in this conference," Buscher said, "you've got to win your home games."

So far, the Wolves did well in at least protecting the home floor against nonconference foes last week against Marquette.

In the first meeting between the two intracity rivals since 2002, the Wolves dominated en route to a 74-38 victory.

Senior Darrell Hopkins had a big night for the Wolves, scoring 15 points and grabbing 20 rebounds.

It was the first time since that Marquette game of 2002 in which City won its season opener.

But that game is history. In front of them are the Portage Indians.

Portage, under the direction of second-year coach Rick Snodgrass, went 7-14 a year ago, and enter this week with a 1-1 record. The Indians beat Highland to begin the season, then lost to Gary West on Saturday.

Buscher was in attendance for Saturday's game.

"I think they're more athletic this year," Buscher said. "... They're going to be an improved team."

He added the Indians' size may give the Wolves troubles. The Indians have nearly a half-dozen players at least 6-foot-2.

Rebounding is a concern for the Wolves. But their overall quickness might offset that.

"We must block out on the boards," Buscher said. "We have to stay active on the glass."

One thing Buscher wants to emphasize with his players is being a tough defensive team. They answered the call against Marquette, forcing 32 turnovers, and Marquette shot just 25 percent from the field.

Recent series history is heavily in City's favor.

The Wolves have won 21 of the past 27 meetings, including seven straight, last losing Feb. 10, 2005 at Portage. City has won three straight at home against Portage as well.

La Porte (0-2): at Crown Point 6 p.m. Friday

After a pair of road games in South Bend to start the year, the Slicers will have one more road game before playing their first home game.

On Friday, they'll play at DAC foe Crown Point. It is the first of five straight DAC games for the Slicers.

Crown Point enters 1-0 after blowing out Hanover Central, 62-35, on Saturday night.

The Bulldogs have won 13 of the past 20 meetings, between these two teams, including three straight. The Bulldogs won both meetings last year by at least 20 points.

Chesterton (0-1): vs. Hammond Gavit, 6 p.m. Wednesday; at Merrillville, 6 p.m. Saturday

For the first time since the 1975-76 season, Chesterton will play Hammond Gavit. Chesterton won 56-55.

Hammond Gavit's season gets underway with this game, but Chesterton will look to rebound after losing to Mishawaka on Saturday, 58-52. Mitch McGary provided a bright spot for the Trojans, scoring 20 points in the losing effort.

Then on Saturday, the Trojans travel to Merrillville for the DAC opener. Last time at Merrillville, the Pirates thwarted the Trojans' quest for a perfect season. Chesterton entered that game last February, 16-0, before the Pirates won, 60-54.

It will be the first of seven straight DAC games for the Trojans.

New Prairie (1-1): at Mishawaka Marian, 5 p.m. Friday

The Cougars lost a close game last week to South Bend St. Joseph's, 53-46.

They hope to rebound this week with Mishawaka Marian, who enters 0-1. The Knights lost its season opener to 66-48 to Goshen last Tuesday.

Mishawaka has dominated recent gatherings between these two teams, winning 11 of the past 14 contests, including a narrow, 47-46, victory last season.

Marquette (0-1): vs. Whiting, 6 p.m. Saturday

The Blazers are hoping they can rebound from a 26-point loss to Michigan City last week with two games this week.

They will play Whiting at 6 p.m. Saturday after playing at Westville on Thursday.

The Blazers were thoroughly dominated in that game against their rivals. Hopefully seeing Whiting will put that loss behind them.

Whiting enters 1-1 after beating Washington Township to begin the year, and lost to Hammond Clark on Friday. The victory over Washington Township was the Oilers' first in 24 games, dating back to Feb. 17, 2007. The Oilers are 3-40 since the beginning of the 2006-07 season.

Marquette has dominated this series of late, winning 13 of the past 16 games, including a 15-point victory last season.

South Central: at Morgan Twp., 5:30 tonight

The Satellites wil finally get their season underway tonight when they travel to Morgan Township.

The Cherokees enter 0-1 after losing to Knox, 57-43, on Saturday. But already this game has some major implications, it's a Porter County Conference game. In fact, the Satellites, who went 13-10 last year, will play three of their first four games against PCC teams.

Morgan Township holds a tight edge in recent series history, going 9-8 in the past 17 meetings, including winning last season's matchup, 41-32.

Westville (1-1): vs. Marquette, 5:30 p.m. Thursday; at North White, 5 p.m. Saturday

The Blackhawks will play two games in three nights, beginning Thursday when they host Marquette.

Westville picked up its first victory of the season Friday night against LaVille.

Recently, Marquette has had the upper hand against Westville, winning 15 of the past 22 meetings, including a 21-point victory Nov. 29, 2007.

Then on Saturday, Westville travels to play the Vikings, who are 0-1 after a 56-35 loss to Attica last Tuesday.

North White went 4-18 last season will have a game against Winamac on Friday before playing the Blackhawks.

Westville fell victim to North White last season, losing 55-49, accounting for the Vikings' second victory of the season. That also ended Westville's four-game win streak against the Vikings.

La Crosse (2-0): at Culver, 5:30 p.m. Friday

The Tigers are off to a good start, just like their 7-2 start of a year ago. But can they maintain it?

They will take on Culver on Friday, where the Tigers hold a distinctive advantage, winning 11 of the past 15 games.

The Tigers have also won each of their past five November games. Unfortunately, this is December where they are 5-7 over the past two seasons.

La Lumiere (0-3): at Covenant Christian, 7 tonight; vs. Trinity, 6 p.m. Friday

The Lakers will try to get into the win column with a pair of games against Covenant Christian and Trinity this week. Friday's game against Trinity will be the home opener for the Lakers.

River Valley: at Michigan Lutheran, 5 p.m. Thursday

The Mustangs will have a scrimmage against Michigan Lutheran. Their season begins Monday at Decatur.
Southsider2k12
It would be a great start to get out of the gate 2-0 and win their first game in the DAC.
Southsider2k12
Two notes of FWIW, WIMS is broadcasting the game with their regular team of Adam and Matt. Also the game is not tonight, which isn't really made clear in the article, it is Friday nite.
Southsider2k12
Tonight is the next game... 7:30 tip off versus Portage, first DAC game of the year. Matt and Adam on the call!
Roger Kaputnik
Like I said on the radio, they did a good job on the football games, they should be with the bball. What other games are you doing, SSider?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 5 2008, 07:59 AM) *

Like I said on the radio, they did a good job on the football games, they should be with the bball. What other games are you doing, SSider?

I am set to do a total of 5 games this year. Next up for me are Dec 13 vs NP, Dec 16 vs MER, and Dec 23 vs LP.

FYI, the Dec 13 games are a Girls and Boys varsity back to back night. So if you have been wanted to see the girls team in action, as well as the boys, that is the night!.
Southsider2k12
Wolves beat Portage 64-61 in a thriller.
eric.hanke
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 5 2008, 10:06 PM) *

Wolves beat Portage 64-61 in a thriller.

For being up by 10+ at the end of the first quarter and looking strong, it sure was a close game.

We purchased season tickets this year and plan on attending as many of the home games possible.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Dec 5 2008, 10:09 PM) *

For being up by 10+ at the end of the first quarter and looking strong, it sure was a close game.

We purchased season tickets this year and plan on attending as many of the home games possible.

Foul trouble really made them change their game, and they could never get back to the style of play that got them the early lead. They adapted well in the 4th quarter.
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47575.86

MAKING PROGRESS

Adam Parkhouse
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City boys basketball coach Bob Buscher is pretty confident his team would have lost this game last season.

After building a big early lead in the Duneland Conference opener, the Wolves found themselves in a severe foul trouble and eventually surrendered the advantage.

But, showing remarkable poise under pressure and determination, the Wolves played a terrific fourth quarter and held on for a 64-61 win over Portage on Friday at the Wolves Den.

"As a group we're playing hard," said Buscher, whose team improved to 2-0 to start the season for the first time since 2002-03. "If we play hard and we're unselfish then ... well, it's only the second game."

City, using its aggressive, full-court defensive pressure went on an 8-0 run to start the game and eventually led 15-4, controlling the tempo on both sides of the floor and forcing the Indians (1-2, 0-1 DAC) to play faster than they wanted to.

But the Wolves would quickly get into foul trouble. By half's end, three players had three fouls and Portage stayed in the game by making 10 of 12 first-half free throws.

"And we were playing so well, too," Buscher said, lamenting his team's fouls situation. "We have to be able to play that kind of game yet not foul."

A jumper from Aaron Ciesielski saw City's lead cut down to two with 2:09 left in the first half, but City would take a four-point lead into the halftime locker room.

The third quarter belonged to Portage. City's foul trouble forced it to play almost exclusively half-court defense, and the Indians made the Wolves pay. Ciesielski gave his team its first lead of the game on a drive into the lane with 6:23 left in the third and that lead pushed out to six with 1:19 left on Luke Wheeler's 3-pointer, making it 49-43 Portage.

With 4:52 left in the game, just moments after Portage' Steve Perry completed an old-fashioned three-point play, City senior Darrell Hopkins had one of his own to keep the deficit manageable at 54-52.

Hopkins, who had 15 points and 20 rebounds in last week's season-opening win over Marquette, had another big night, scoring a game-high 22 points to go with nine rebounds.

"Darrell is coming along. He's just a warrior," Buscher said.

Hopkins split a pair of free throws a moment later but Adam Harmon hit a clutch layup in traffic to give the Wolves the lead back for good at 55-54 with 3:11 to play.

Hopkins, on a terrific feed from Brandon Pawloski, converted another old-fashiong three-point play with 2:21 left, giving the Wolves a two-possession lead at 58-54.

City led 59-56 when Portage's Damonte Lowery scored and was fouled, giving him a chance to tie the score with a free throw. He missed and Pawloski secured the rebound before getting tied up for a jump ball, giving City possession with the arrow.

Pawloski then came down had hit an 18-foot jumper to push the lead back out to three with 38 seconds left. The City senior then split a pair of free throws with 15.4 seconds left.

Lowery came down and drained a trey for Portage, making the score 62-61. Pawloski took the inbound and was immediately fouled. This time, he made both freebies, pushing the lead back to three.

With a foul to give, Harmon alertly allowed Dominique Walton to dribble down court before fouling him with one second left. Portage turned the ball over on the inbound pass, giving City the gutsy win.

"I thought we outplayed them after the first quarter," Portage coach Rick Snodgrass said. "We just didn't make the plays when we needed to."

Buscher was pleased with his team's progression, comparing this win to several games his team dropped in similar fashion a year ago.

"We would have lost this last year," Buscher said. "But, you look at last year, I was new and we were loaded with seniors, so that isn't unusual because they were learning to trust me. The summer was a big key for us in bringing the kids together.

"We were really unselfish tonight."

Notes: City lost the junior varsity game 52-51. ... Sophomore Shereff Knight, a starting guard, again found himself in deep foul trouble, much like the Marquette game. He scored his first points of the season on a fourth-quarter layup, but played limited minutes finishing the game with four fouls. ... During the second half City senior DaQuvay Sherrod was spotted with blood on his shorts and was forced to quickly make a change - right on the sidelines, shielded as well as possible by coaches and teammates. He finished with seven points and six rebounds.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
Roger Kaputnik
SSider, are you gonna be on the air Fri or Sat?

Johnny, how are the rebroadcaasts gonna be handled since there are TWO--yes, TWO--games this weekend?

Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 11 2008, 08:31 AM) *

SSider, are you gonna be on the air Fri or Sat?

Johnny, how are the rebroadcaasts gonna be handled since there are TWO--yes, TWO--games this weekend?

I will be on the Saturday doubleheader broadcast. I can't wait!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.