Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to Citybythelake.org
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Southsider2k12
Hi all, my name is Michael Gresham, and this is my site to give people a chance to connect in, and about, Michigan City Indiana. My vision is to give people a place to talk about their City through a well-moderated, open access forum. Initially I have areas set up for local news, sports, business, and an off topic area. This will give people a chance to talk about what is going on in their town, and exchange information with other people.

If people have ideas, questions, comments or anything else feel free to post them here, to send me an emai,l or a private message.
Roger Kaputnik
As you may know, I am trying to get people to send the link to everyone on their e-ddress list.

Do you think it would be better to have the posts in the threads in newest-to-oldest order? I do, because when you click on a topic, you don't want to see the original posts all the time, you want the new stuff. That is how most MBs are, I think.

Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 22 2006, 12:36 PM) *

As you may know, I am trying to get people to send the link to everyone on their e-ddress list.

Do you think it would be better to have the posts in the threads in newest-to-oldest order? I do, because when you click on a topic, you don't want to see the original posts all the time, you want the new stuff. That is how most MBs are, I think.

Oldest to newest makes it easiest to read if they haven't seen that particular thread before... That's the way I have always seen it done.
Roger Kaputnik
This is the first one I have seen like this.
Roger Kaputnik
bimp!
Roger Kaputnik
Still think it is better new-to-old.
Ang
Roger, keyboard tip: If you want to jump to the end of the page to see the last post without having to scroll through all the old stuff, hit Ctrl + End and you will jump to the bottom. To get back to the top, hit Ctrl + Home and poof! You're back to the top.

I have always seen these things oldest on top, but many have a short cut button at the top that will take you to the bottom. As a matter of fact, Feedback is the only place I've seen newest at the top.
Southsider2k12
Yeah some of the old bulletin boards had the new to old format, but I help run about a half dozen other message board, the largest with over 3500 members and 1.3 million posts, and I have yet to hear anyone else say it was backwards from what they were used to.
Roger Kaputnik
Ohmigod! It's happened again--I'm right, and 3,502 people are wrong!

I used to go on the Left behind boards years ago before they changed it, runner's world, and a few others, and they all went new to old. If your experience is different, was it because you run all yours the same way? What is your experience with boards other people run?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 28 2006, 02:32 PM) *

Ohmigod! It's happened again--I'm right, and 3,502 people are wrong!
I used to go on the Left behind boards years ago before they changed it, runner's world, and a few others, and they all went new to old. If your experience is different, was it because you run all yours the same way? What is your experience with boards other people run?

I have hung out on ABC/LOST!, ESPN.com, Snopes, PaulMcCartney.com, NTN.com, and a few others off of the top of my head, at different times, and they are all formated the same way.
Ang
So is TAPS and many of the Yahoo groups I belong to
Roger Kaputnik
Well, ok, but it still is harder and less elegant (in the math proof sense) to do it your way. Too bad there is not an option to do either.
Southsider2k12
It would be nice if Invision gave us the option to do it either way, but they don't unfortunately.
Roger Kaputnik
It does help to know how to move around faster using keyboards tips--thanks!

Regarding the letter to outline what MC needs in a mayor, I would be glad to proof it. I would suggest perhaps emailing it rather than doing it in the mb.
Southsider2k12
I wanted to say "Welcome" to all of joinees that have come in here lately. It is great to see so many new faces! Hopefully you all enjoy it here, and if you have any problems or questions, feel free to contact me either with a post here, a private message here, or through an email.
Max Main
cool site[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=7]
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Max Main @ Mar 7 2007, 12:16 PM) *

cool site

Welcome to the site smile.gif
Southsider2k12
Sorry guys, I am running a little behind on the news! I had a long weekend, and did a whole lot of relaxing. I will try to get caught up tonight or tomorrow.
Southsider2k12
Sorry its been a little quiet around here... I got picked for jury duty, so I haven't been able to get the board updated like I usually would. I should be done tomorrow.
Roger Kaputnik
Big case?
Southsider2k12
Nah it was a pretty small civil case. It could have been solved years ago IMO. Personally I enjoyed the experience as it was the first time I had ever been called to jury duty, let alone served on a jury. I might be kind of a dork, but I love to see how our government and civil operations function. It was incredibly interesting to be on the inside of a jury trial and see the particulars of it.
Roger Kaputnik
I was on a jury some time ago when we lived in Bloomington. It was some case where a school administration apparatchik was suing for wrongful dismissal. It ended up as a directed verdict. I agree that it was very interesting being in on the machinations of the system.

I have had members of the family be witnesses in cases, and that was interesting, too.

In general, though, I am a lot more comfortable staying away from the courthouse!

Southsider2k12
FYI I will be out of town from Wed evening the 20th until next Wed the 27th. Keep the peace for me while I am gone!

Mike
Ang
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jun 18 2007, 01:41 PM) *

FYI I will be out of town from Wed evening the 20th until next Wed the 27th. Keep the peace for me while I am gone!

Mike

Have a good time and safe journey. I will be IN town from the 30th until July 10th.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 18 2007, 04:29 PM) *

Have a good time and safe journey. I will be IN town from the 30th until July 10th.

I am looking forward to everything but having the baby in the car for that many hours... If it works out, I might get to go see Gettysburg.
Ang
I've been to Gettysburg. It's really cool. Very eerie though when you think about all the people that died there during the civil war. You can almost feel the ghosts. If you have a chance, try to take a ghost tour. Whether or not you believe in them, the tours are very neat.
Roger Kaputnik
Gettysburg is AWESOME. Take a guided tour from the NPS.
Southsider2k12
Well we did get down to Gettysburg, and it was well worth the trip. We took the double decker 2 hour bus tour and it was incredible. The scope and the scale of what went on there is just awe-inspiring.
Roger Kaputnik
Gettysburg is a great place to visit. I was just there in May, and I already wanna go back.
Southsider2k12
I'd can't wait to go back when we have more time. It was really a tease at an incredible place.
CaddyRich
Hi everyone...I just found out about this message board. Very interesting - looks like a place where some serious thought (at times) can be brought up concerning Our Fair City.
JHeath
QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Dec 25 2007, 04:54 PM) *

Hi everyone...I just found out about this message board. Very interesting - looks like a place where some serious thought (at times) can be brought up concerning Our Fair City.

Welcome to the board! DOn't be shy---not many of us are around here. biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Dec 25 2007, 04:54 PM) *

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your stay! smile.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Administrator,

Is there some way to change one's avatar but leave it on the posts already done? The effect would be that only one's new posts would have the new avatar.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 9 2008, 03:10 PM) *

Administrator,

Is there some way to change one's avatar but leave it on the posts already done? The effect would be that only one's new posts would have the new avatar.

Sorry, all posts reflect the current avatar, invision has no way to change that.
Roger Kaputnik
I think if one wanted to change one's avatar, one could change one's ID.
Ang
Do you want to change your display ID from Roger Kaputnik to something else? I can do that for you if that's what you want. Just tell me the new name you want displayed and I'll git'er done!
Dave
QUOTE(Ang @ May 12 2008, 12:58 PM) *

Do you want to change your display ID from Roger Kaputnik to something else? I can do that for you if that's what you want. Just tell me the new name you want displayed and I'll git'er done!

If you change the name on Roger's account, but he's still user #3, isn't that going to change his name on all his previous posts as user #3 as well? That's the way it works on the other message board I spend time on, but it may be differnet software.
Ang
I'm pretty sure it works that way, just like the avatars. SS'der would know for sure.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ May 12 2008, 04:42 PM) *

I'm pretty sure it works that way, just like the avatars. SS'der would know for sure.

Your name would change on your post, but any of your old posts that had been previously quoted would be saved in whatever name you were using at that point in time... (I had to go back and look myself.)
Ang
Do you start over with the number of posts? Fr'instance, if Roger had 2000 posts and changed his name to Bob, would Bob then have 2000 posts, or just the number beginning after he changed his name?
lovethiscity
QUOTE(Ang @ May 12 2008, 07:02 PM) *

Do you start over with the number of posts? Fr'instance, if Roger had 2000 posts and changed his name to Bob, would Bob then have 2000 posts, or just the number beginning after he changed his name?

He can't change his name to Bob, I think Bob is Dave's real name!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ May 12 2008, 07:02 PM) *

He'd keep his post total.

Roger Kaputnik
Ï think I am good as is. I just liked the mummy avatar and did not want to lose it for all the posts that had it.
Roger Kaputnik
In the Scrap Metal thread, http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....&#entry9971, I tried to type the law I was referring to, IC 25-37.5-1.2b, with the final 'b' in parentheses. But when I saw what was posted, I was surprised to see some kind of smiley-type face--see post #8. In retrospect, I think this has happened before. What is going on?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 16 2008, 10:01 AM) *

In the Scrap Metal thread, http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....&#entry9971, I tried to type the law I was referring to, IC 25-37.5-1.2b, with the final 'b' in parentheses. But when I saw what was posted, I was surprised to see some kind of smiley-type face--see post #8. In retrospect, I think this has happened before. What is going on?

There are keyboard shortcuts for smilies. You hit on one there. For example if you type : and ) together you get smile.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Can they be turned off on my keyboard?

And I am searching for a thread that was about Funny Lines from the Campaign, but I cannot find it. Is there another way to look? Maybe by going through all the threads I started? I can't remember if I did or not, by the way.
Dave
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 16 2008, 03:01 PM) *

Can they be turned off on my keyboard?

And I am searching for a thread that was about Funny Lines from the Campaign, but I cannot find it. Is there another way to look? Maybe by going through all the threads I started? I can't remember if I did or not, by the way.

In the window that opens when you do a reply, below the area where you type, there's a section titled "Post Options." If you uncheck the box that says "Enable emoticons," you won't have inadvertant smilies.

:)

See?

Now if I could figure out how to do a letter c in parenthesis without having it turn into the copyright symbol, I'll be happy.

©

I think that thread you're looking for is Choice Droppings on the Campaign Trail.
Roger Kaputnik
Merci beaucoup!
Ang
First, I would like to announce we have over 10,000 posts!!! HUGE landmark.

Second, we are one member shy of having 100 members!! Another huge landmark

Third, and most important, WELCOME to our newest members!! Some of you haven't posted yet, but we know you are there. We are happy for your interest in CBTL and look forward to your input. So, don't be shy!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.