http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../13/news/n2.txt

By Georgette Senter, The News-Dispatch

‘Joe Hawkins was always active in trying to improve the quality of life in our community'

One can be born to leadership or have it thrust upon them.

Joe Hawkins was a mixture of both.

He was a leader not only in the African-American community but all of the city and worked to get everyone to embrace the ideals of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Hawkins, 69, died Tuesday morning after a lengthy illness, just hours before long-time friend and political comrade Roger McKee died after a two-vehicle accident.

At a time when there existed two different worlds - black and white - Hawkins found himself in the role of spokesman for one of those worlds. A long-time crusader for human and civil rights, Hawkins was a voice for justice.

In the 1970s, Hawkins was hired by Judge Robert Gilmore as a probation officer in City Court, where he worked for about 2 1/2 years. Their relationship, however, lasted well beyond that.

“Joe has been a good friend of mine over the years, and I am so sad that Joe passed away,” said Gilmore, now LaPorte Circuit Court judge. “He was a real community leader, an activist and a real good friend.”

“Roger McKee was neat guy, too,” Gilmore said. “It's a sad day for LaPorte County.”

Hawkins was Michigan City's first Human Rights director and also worked as a cost accountant at Weil-McLain.

Never one to mince words, Hawkins resigned from the Human Rights commission when he discovered white members had been holding separate meetings that excluded African American members. In 1978 he said, “The commission is there to help all people in Michigan City. If you have internal squabbles, how can you help all the people? I'd die and go to hell if asked to go to a private meeting of one segment of the commission.”

Fifth Ward Councilman Willie Milsap was near tears when he said, “Joe was my friend, my mentor, someone I trusted to always be honest with me.”

Milsap said he knew Hawkins was ill but never thought he was going to die. “This community has lost a strong voice for justice,” Milsap said, adding that he also was shocked at the death of Roger McKee. “Wow, two great individuals who care deeply for this community.”

“I will miss our discussions,” Milsap said of Hawkins. “Although one did not always agree with Joe, he had a way of making you think about all sides of an issue and somehow see the many ways it could be handled.”

He and Hazel Thomas, a long time community activist, agreed that open and heated discussions were not unusual around Hawkins. “But no matter how heated, we would always end on a friendly accord,” Thomas said. “Joe never really sought the role of leader but for many of us it was he to whom we looked.”

LaPorte County Democratic Chairman Dr. Vidya Kora said, “Joe Hawkins was always active in trying to improve the quality of life in our community. His poor health did not deter him from actively participating in the recent elections. He always believed that participation in the political process was the best way to give voice to the disenfranchised and also the best way of building communities.”

Former Mayor Sheila Brillson said, “Joe and Roger ... were both so committed to the city and had so many passions about the city. They were two important members of my extended families. I'm heartbroken. It's a passing of an era. Both of them loved Michigan City. They loved the neighborhoods. You couldn't count on your hands or toes how many people those two helped. I have to say, I'm heartbroken.”

Mayor Chuck Oberlie said Hawkins “was such a good friend to me, far beyond the political process. I got to meet a lot of people early on in all the neighborhoods, thanks to Joe.”

When Oberlie came to the city in the 1960s, he said the community was really feeling racial tension. “(Hawkins) had a lot on his plate. He was under a lot of pressure from the community as a whole. His skill at communicating with people helped bring all that back into focus.”

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../13/news/n3.txt

McKee crashed into another car after running red light, witnesses say

By Georgette Senter, The News-Dispatch

A two-vehicle crash at U.S. 20 and U.S. 421 shortly after 8 p.m. Monday took the life of longtime Michigan City political operative Roger McKee, 79, 202 Lawndale Place.

McKee, who was responding to police and emergency medical technicians immediately after the accident, died early Tuesday morning at a South Bend hospital.

According to witnesses, McKee, who was driving a 2005 Ford 500, a full-size sedan, was westbound on U.S. 20 when he failed to stop for a red light and crashed broadside into the passenger side of a 1994 Cadillac, headed north on U.S. 421.

The U.S. 20/U.S. 421 intersection is the busiest in Michigan City and was recently widened after extra turning lanes were added by the Indiana Department of Transportation.

The Cadillac was driven by Rebecca Winchester, 23, 309 1/2 Earl Road, and carried her father, Robert Gutschow, 71, in the front passenger seat.

LaPorte County EMS and Michigan City Fire Department were also at the scene, where at first, McKee appeared to be dazed and refused medical help.

According to police who attempted to ask questions of McKee, he seemed confused to what had happened or where he was. Officers convinced McKee to be taken to St. Anthony Memorial, where doctors said he slipped into unconsciousness.

McKee was air lifted to Memorial Health Centers in South Bend because of bleeding in the brain. At about 3:30 a.m., McKee was pronounced dead. A cause of death has not been determined.

The Cadillac driven by Winchester was hit directly in the passenger side and came to rest in front of Walgreens. McKee's car came to rest on the concrete median on U.S. 421 in front of Burger King restaurant.

All of those involved in the accident were wearing seat belts and the air bags in both vehicles had deployed, said police.

Winchester was treated for minor injuries and released from St. Anthony Memorial.

On Tuesday, Gutschow, whose family said he has a history of heart problems, remained in the intensive care unit at St. Anthony.

Michigan City police said they are still investigating the accident and are awaiting information from doctors on what may have caused McKee to fail to stop for the red light.