Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LP mayor canditate running on anti-illegal platform
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../27/news/n4.txt

LaPorte mayoral candidate runs on illegal-immigration platform

By Stan Maddux, For The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE - A man who led a recent push to deport illegal aliens in LaPorte has announced he's running for mayor.

If elected, Michael Strauss said one of his priorities would be coming up with a local solution “to our illegal immigration problem.”

Another major goal is “creating not only service related retail jobs but factory jobs as well,” he said.

Strauss, a 2000 LaPorte High School graduate, also cited a need to improve the quality of the work force by providing more educational opportunities to unskilled laborers.

A former member of the Libertarian party, Strauss said he's running as an independent. “I believe a candidate is elected by the people and for the people and not to represent their own views and the even stronger views of party bosses.”

In December, the LaPorte City Council voted down a measure to empower local police to find illegal immigrants and detain them for possible deportation by the federal government. The measure also called for a hotline that residents could use to report suspected illegal alien activity to be investigated by the police.

Strauss was at the forefront of the failed effort and helped stage a demonstration outside LaPorte's downtown courthouse in the fall trying to drum up support.

After the measure's defeat, Strauss pledged to continue working with city Councilman Tim Stabosz to revise the proposal and bring it back for reconsideration.

The deadline for Democratic and Republican candidates to file for the May primary was noon Friday. Independents, though, have until July 16 to register for the November general election, said LaPorte County Chief Deputy Clerk Betty Conroy.

But, first, independents like Strauss must collect signatures from 2 percent of the LaPorte voters who cast ballots for Indiana Secretary of State in the November general election, she said. Those signatures must be verified by the LaPorte County Voter Registration Office by July 2.

Current mayor Leigh Morris, a Republican, is unopposed in the May primary. The Democratic candidates are former mayor Kathy Chroback, Robert Ott and Ronald Zimmer.

Roger Kaputnik
Do we really want a snitch line?
Southsider2k12
It does kind of have a "red scare" feeling to it, but at the sametime, how do you as a municipality absorb the extra costs of illegals, when the federal government isn't helping at all?
Ang
I'm not sure the Federal Govt is accepting total responsibility for this. I think they are leaving it up to individual states to keep illegals under control. When they were building our new Super Wal-Mart here in Casper, the state people came to inspect the construction site and learned that over 50% of the workers were illegals. They shut down the construction, called INS and had all of them deported. They drove them out of town in two busloads. It was three weeks before construction was back on track and the Wal-mart opened a month later than it had originally planned. Also, the state people visited regularly after that to make sure there were no more illegals working there.
The sad part to all of that is that most of those people they took out in buses were probably back in the country within the month.
Southsider2k12
The federal government has the responsibility for enforcing our national borders, which really hasn't been done. They also write the policies which restrict the handling of illegal aliens, and their treatment, which handcuffs municipalities and states into a corner of what they can actually do about things.
Ang
I'm not too sure Wyoming cares about such things. Honestly. We have less people state wide than Rhode Island. Our state is the only one, that I know of anyway, to null a gay marriage. So, if you're gay and you're legally married in New Hampshire and you move to Wyoming you're no longer married. You can't even have a civil union. (I think that whole Brokeback Mountain thing has a lot to do with it--Made all the state legislators Homophobes). Anyway, Wyoming kind of just does things on their own.

I do agree that the Feds should be stepping up to the plate and trying to rectify this situation, but when banks start issuing credit cards to illegals, and hospitals offer free medical care so they can have babies born here, and employers keep giving them jobs, what can the feds do? Every solution that the Prez has brought to the table has been widely criticized, so I would say their hands are basically tied by the bleeding heart liberals and activist groups.

Just like LaPorte. I applaud the guy who wants to get rid of illegals. All they do is cost tax payers money and they're paying no taxes of their own. They take jobs that citizens are entitled to have, they receive benefits that citizens are entitled to have. I think if they want to live in this country they should get a Visa, a social security number, a valid drivers license, learn english and pay taxes, just like the rest of the Americans. I honestly hope this guy gets elected.

On my Wal-Mart story, when the illegals were bussed out of town, that created almost 100 jobs that American citizens were able to take, thereby reducing the unemployment percentage and the decreasing the amount of families on public assistance.

Southsider2k12
When it comest to illegals, it affects a lot of areas more than many people realize. Illegals stay in the country by keeping a low profile for the most part, and really not being heard. When you think about the stereotype of illegals being pretty much in the border states and big cities, that is completely untrue. They are pretty much anywhere that they can get work. As a matter of a fact, I would almost bet there are lots of illegals who work in areas like yours in the livestock industry.
Ang
I'm sure there are. Ranchers hire them to tend to livestock because they don't have to offer benefits and can pay lower wages. But, it's probably not as many as you would think. Wyoming is an EXTREMELY patriotic state. Plus, a rancher would give a job to an Indian from the reservation before he would hire an illegal.

Below is the Wyoming Logo. You see it EVERYWHERE, including statues of the horse and rider. People have it on their vehicles, in their windows, hanging on their walls. Businesses have it in a visible location. The horse and rider is even on our license plates.

Click to view attachment

Southsider2k12
Boy you hit on something there without even knowing it, that really gets to me. There is no pride or "patriotism" for being from Michigan City or Indiana anymore. I'll bet most kids have no idea what our state flag looks like, or even much care. I noticed Texas was the same way. They put the state flag of Texas on everything, even something like a beer can! Indiana, not so much.
Roger Kaputnik
1. Corporate America, and increasingly, Main Street America, does not want to lose this source of cheap labor.

2. Feds have responsibility of funding this effort to control immigration.

3. Most illegal aliens work yet cannot legally get any social services.

4. The current laws are not being enforced, especially against the hiring of illegal aliens and the procurement of social services.

5. Most studies show that economically, in the macroeconomic sense, the illegals are a wash.

6. The people hurt the most by illegal immigration are skilled workers, who used to be able to earn enough to support a family.

7. Hebrews 13:2, among others.

Oh, yeah, I think I am gonna get a Indiana flag and fly it.
Ang
I got this from a friend of mine in email. It is from some type of newsletter she gets regularly. I'm not sure what what the source is, but the contents are very interesting and sort of goes along with my earlier point....

Le estan diciendo que: "You're under arrest"?

As you may know, I write relatively often about illegal immigration. Increasingly, in fact, given the, uh, "increasing" nature of the problem.

But today, I get the distinct and rare joy to report that at least of few of these freeloaders got their comeuppance. Kind of. In order to understand, though, you may need a little background. Read on...

Nowadays, it's a common practice in any U.S. city you care to name for illegal immigrants to gather every morning at convenience stores like 7-Eleven and others. Their goal: To solicit cash day-work from the throngs of van-driving contractors who file into such places for a cuppa Joe or a doughnut on their way to their jobsites...

However, a group of two dozen illegals in Baltimore got more than they bargained for when they propositioned the unmarked vehicles of a group of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents! The ensuing bust netted the agency:

* 6 men with U.S. criminal records - even though they aren't even citizens

* 8 who were in violation of "final removal orders" from immigration judges

* 1 that had been caught crossing the border FOUR TIMES.

How many of these men will be given paying work details in prison (at around a buck a day) remains to be seen. It should be all of them, but I'm betting it ends up being ZERO.

Why?

Because already, at least one immigrant advocacy group has started raising a stink about how the agents involved in the bust somehow unfairly targeted Hispanics - even though the bust-ees solicited the officers! All of the arrested men were Mexican, Honduran and Salvadoran (with one Peruvian in the mix).

The group, calling itself CASA, has declared the raid "illegal" in a press conference held at the 7-Eleven store where the bust took place. The fact that no actual ATTORNEYS appear to have made this claim on the group's behalf seemed unimportant to the newspapers reporting the story. Keep reading...

Of course, the newly-elected Mayor of Baltimore (Democrat Sheila Dixon) - instead of openly applauding the bust as a long-overdue first baby-step in controlling Baltimore's rampant illegal immigration problem - is using the incident to highlight what she calls the need for a "designated day-laborer center" in the city, according to a Washington Times article on the arrests...

Why doesn't she just come out and say what she means: That illegal immigrants should have a way to access all the benefits of being American - work, wages, entitlements, and equal protection of the law - without having to make any of the sacrifices?

Like paying taxes, learning the English language, and abiding by the law.

Fittingly, the spontaneous bust came on the same day that ICE announced more than 750 arrests of illegals over a one-week span in Los Angeles. The Times article also cites the fact that the ICE removed more than 190,000 illegal aliens in 2006 - with 45% (90,000) of these having U.S. CRIMINAL RECORDS...

Now that's what I call a good start.

Reporting on deporting,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

Roger Kaputnik
What about the guys hiring these illegal aliens? These unAmerican scofflaws need to be prosecuted--and let's see if ANY of them are, and I will bet darn few ever are. Also, calling these day laborers "freeloaders" shows either ignorance of how day labor works (could a guy with Roman numerals and MD after his name have any clue??) or willful distortion for propaganda purposes. We should not trust a writer in either case.
Ang
I think the term "freeloader" is in reference to the fact that the illegals are "freeloading" off the American system. Yes, they come here and they want to work, but they don't want to follow the proper procedure to get into this country to work.

How about if the situation were reversed and you wanted to pick tomatos in Mexico so you swam across the Rio Grande in the dark of night? Following is how it would be concerning you:

1. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no special ballots for elections, and all government business will be conducted in our language.
2. Foreigners will NOT have the right to vote, no matter how long they are here.
3. Foreigners will NEVER be able to hold political office.
4. Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, nor any other government assistance programs.
5. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
6. If foreigners do come and want to buy land that will be okay, BUT options will be restricted. You are not allowed to own waterfront property. That property is reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
7. Foreigners may not protest; no demonstrations, no waving a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. If you do, you will be sent home.
8. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be hunted down and sent straight to jail.

Harsh, you say?...

These laws happen to be the immigration laws of ... MEXICO!

Roger Kaputnik
Most of those laws are pretty common around the world. I bet the Mexican police are just about as effective and the US police are. And I wonder how many US citizens are sneaking into Mexico to pick vegetables? Ah, but you say if the situation were reversed...I would have to assume then that the gov't of Mexico would have a better cross-border worker policy than the US does.

Exodus 22:20.
Southsider2k12
Actually one of the most neglected stereotypes around is that illegal immigration is all Mexican's. There is a really solid influx of Central and South American people who use Mexico essentially as a highway to get to the US. There are people from Central and South America who are faced with these exact issues in Mexico, and when they are caught, they are treated way worse than illegals who are caught in the US. That has always bothered me when someone like Vincente Fox got on TV and rallied against the policies we decide are best for us, but then have policies that contradict directly what you expect from another nation.
Ang
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../05/news/n3.txt

Candidate says his platform is about more than illegals

By Stan Maddux, For The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE - He's been called a bigot and a racist, but Mike Strauss insists his campaign for mayor is not entirely about deporting the illegal aliens in LaPorte.

Illegal immigration, though, is a major part of his campaign platform, one that Strauss, 24, feels will produce good results at the polls.

“Voters in LaPorte do feel strongly about that issue,” Strauss said.

Because he's running as an independent, Strauss must collect 2 percent of the votes cast in the city for Indiana secretary of state in the November election to appear on the ballot. Over a two-day period, Strauss said he collected 33 of the 119 required signatures.

The signatures must be presented to the LaPorte County Voter Registration Office and verified by July 2.

“I actually plan to get a little bit more than that,” Strauss said.

In December, the LaPorte City Council voted down a proposal to empower local police to go out and detain illegal aliens for deportation by the federal government. Strauss helped craft the ordinance and is helping to make changes in the measure so it can be presented to the City Council again, possibly before the November general election.

If nothing is adopted then, Strauss said, the “illegal alien problem” will be a major priority of his if elected mayor.

“A lot of people have already labeled me a racist. I'm not too worried about that,” said Strauss, who denies feeling any hatred toward illegals.

Instead, Strauss said his view on the issue is simply about upholding the law, maintaining civil liberties and extending relief to overburdened local governments and schools.

“It puts an even stronger burden on the school system to not only teach their teachers Spanish but to teach other students Spanish and to teach the Spanish students English when those funds could be used to produce a higher quality education for those here legally,” he said.

The 2000 LaPorte High School graduate, who describes himself as a small business entrepreneur, said the biggest reason he entered the campaign is to get a handle on what he believes is overspending by the current administration.

He said costs can be cut to free additional money to fix more of the city's deplorable roads and sidewalks.

“Businesses aren't going to want to come into a community that has bad roads and bad sidewalks. They just look bad,” he said.

Other priorities of his include upgrading the skills of the local workforce and giving back control of local government to the citizens.

Max Main
Comparing US and Mexican policies and treatment of illegals is like comparing apples and guayabas because our cultures and police forces are so different.

I would agree with whoever said that you can tell the morality of a society by how it treats its weakest members. Though the illegals already here may not be considered part of our society by some, it is clear that many have been here for a long time and except for citizenship status, they are part of us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.