Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Indy group hired to represent MCAS
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../28/news/n6.txt

MCAS hires Indianapolis law firm

By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch

An Indianapolis law firm will represent the board of the Michigan City Area Schools, but the vote to hire Locke Reynolds was not unanimous.

At the board's Jan. 3 organizational meeting, member Beryle Burgwald expressed the hope that the board could hire a firm from within the MCAS district.

“I cannot believe that all the knowledge on school law lies outside the school district,” Burgwald said then. He and member Nathaniel Gipson voted against hiring Locke Reynolds, while board president Jeff Jones and members Rick Carlson, Jim Kintzele, Kathy Lee and Clyde Zeek voted in favor of hiring the firm, which also has offices in Hammond.

The board specified its preference for attorney Marsha Volk Bugalla, who represented the board some time ago when she practiced in LaPorte. According to the Locke Reynolds Web site, Bugalla serves as senior counsel, practicing in the firm's Government and Regulatory Services group.

The law firm of Friel and Friel, the father-and-son partnership of Jack (the father) and Dan Friel of Gary, which had been representing the board in labor matters for seven years, severed its relationship with MCAS on July 1, 2006. Jack Friel said then the superintendent's reluctance to settle labor disputes early in the process did not represent the firm's view of labor relations. He suggested then the board needed a strong litigant to argue the cases in court.

Indeed, several board members Tuesday were concerned about the fate of labor cases about to go to arbitration and about the purchase of property for building a new Pine School. The attorneys assigned to those cases will see them through to completion, Jones said.

“I thought we wanted to cut expenses,” Burgwald said. “If an attorney would have to travel from Indianapolis, that could add to the cost.”

Jones said he thought most communication could be handled via telephone. What's more, the attorney would not be expected to attend board meetings.

“I don't think travel will be a big issue,” Jones said.

Roger Kaputnik
What is the budget for legal affairs for mcas?
Ang
MCAS should really hire a local law firm, in my opinion. It is the MICHIGAN CITY Area Schools and they should have a law firm in MICHIGAN CITY. You know, support local businesses, etc. However, looking at their past and their current reputation, they probably can't find a local attorney who would want to represent them.
RedDevilMC
They are probably taking the same approach as MC Common Council. Historically there have been issues with cross-pollination amongst attorneys and the actual board or council. Most attorneys in the area sit on several boards and commissions in the area. They figure an "outsider" (feels like an episode of LOST) can add a fresh perspective or in case of the MCAS, have the same philosophy (whatever that might be) on how to deal with the teachers union and labor agreements.
Southsider2k12
Plus I doubt any local attorney wants to do the adminstrations dirty work of going to court against local teachers. Its got to be hard to keep a good reputation if you are battling it out with educators.
Ang
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 1 2007, 12:06 PM) *

Plus I doubt any local attorney wants to do the adminstrations dirty work of going to court against local teachers. Its got to be hard to keep a good reputation if you are battling it out with educators.

Especially if your kid is sitting in one of those teachers' classrooms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.