Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phase Two for water works
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../02/news/n7.txt

Phase 2 begins for Water Dept.

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

The Michigan City Water Department will soon begin the second phase of its three-part project to fix water lines feeding from Lake Michigan to the water filtration plant.

And this time, the department hopes to cause less of a problem for Washington Park than did last year's first phase.

“It won't be as intrusive as it was last year,” water department chief Randy Russell told the Michigan City Park Board Thursday. “I don't see, except for a small part of a parking lot, issues like last year.”

During the project's first phase last year, Lot 2 at Washington Park was nearly impassible for most of the summer as contractors worked on pipes leading from a water crib in Lake Michigan to the plant, behind Washington Park Zoo.

Phase 2 will connect new pipe from near the back of Lot 2 to new pipe some 50 feet short of the water's edge, Russell said. A manhole in the lot will have to be dealt with, but the disruption will be minor compared to Phase 1.

The entire project - Phase 3, to be completed next year, will replace a small building near lot 2 - is tentatively scheduled to begin May 1, and end around August 1, Russell said.

The estimated cost is $2.5 million, but Russell said the lowest bid came in lower than the estimated cost. Woodruff and Sons of Michigan City will do the work.

“I'm very happy with the cooperation I've been getting from (water department head Randy Russell),” Michigan City Park Board Attorney Pat Donoghue said Thursday.

Russell said he'd hoped the job would be finished by the beginning of July, but added contractors felt the job couldn't be done so quickly because the groundwater in the area needs to be disposed of in a proper manner, which is a long project.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

Roger Kaputnik
If it needs to be done, it needs to be done! It is good that a local company can do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.