Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monitor question
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City at rest
Southsider2k12
Does anyone know if there is a way to hook cable TV into your computer monitor? It does not have a co-ax cable slot, is there an adapter that exists? I'd love to use my new monitor as a second TV.
Michelle
QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jun 25 2009, 01:03 PM) *

Does anyone know if there is a way to hook cable TV into your computer monitor? It does not have a co-ax cable slot, is there an adapter that exists? I'd love to use my new monitor as a second TV.

The computer-y folks will have better answers, but there are lots of different internal and external tuners that might work. CNET article and another article. I don't know if there's an easier method than that.
Ang
The newer flat panels come with two cords and two connections in the back. The blue one is for computers and the white one is to connect to a receiver. If you have cable with a DVR (or a satellite receiver) you should be able to use the white ended cable to connect to the receiver and watch t.v. on your monitor. You will need a separate audio source though.
Also, you can use the white ended cable to connect the monitor to the newer flat panel t.v.s
Ang
OK, my bad. I just checked my dad's DVR and there is no connection for it, but I know I'm right about the blue and white cables
digger262
QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jun 25 2009, 02:03 PM) *

Depends on your monitor. Most of the larger ones(22+") have inputs for TV. You might have to get a coverter(there are many) for your coax if it doesn't exist. Also, most monitors do not have speakers so you would have to hook those up as well.

You can also get a tv tuner for your PC which will do all this for you. They are going to run $50-100 but will allow you to DVR as well as some other bells and whistles.
southyards
There's more than one way to connect TV's to computer monitors - it depends on what equipment you have; to view some of the different possibilities, just go to Google & type "how to connect my cable television to my computer monitor". Lots of good info . . . . . . . .
lovethiscity
QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jun 25 2009, 01:03 PM) *

New lap tops have HDMI inputs which makes it easy. I have a cable for you though HDMI to VGA

sound will not work with this cable, I can hook you up sound with a seperate cable though.
Southsider2k12
Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to just get an old small TV instead as it will be cheaper.
lovethiscity
QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jul 3 2009, 03:52 PM) *

Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to just get an old small TV instead as it will be cheaper.

I am sorry it is HDMI-DVI it is your if you want it
Ang
QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Jul 3 2009, 08:16 PM) *

I am sorry it is HDMI-DVI it is your if you want it

Have a few too many beers buddy? That makes no sense!

(just be glad I called you out instead of Tim! laugh.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.