I remember doing something like this with Bob Behler in 8th grade. I don't think he ever came back after that laugh.gif

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../09/news/n2.txt

Students have breakfast with local officials

By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch

The mayor and the president of the Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce attend many breakfast meetings. But on Thursday, they feasted on breakfast pizza and conferred with several dozen young constituents, one of whom suggested that the mayor lower gasoline prices.

“I wish I could,” said Mayor Chuck Oberlie to the young Edgewood Elementary School student.

What the mayor could do - and did - was to proclaim this week National School Breakfast Week in Michigan City.

Tim Bietry, president of the Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce and a former teacher and principal, seemed perfectly at home with the young people who could be the community's future leaders in business and industry.

“You can't learn if you don't eat properly,” Bietry told students.

Edgewood Principal Gloria Dombkowski had a similar message. The school breakfast was established formally in 1975, she told students.

The breakfast eggs first got rolling with the Child Nutrition Act of 1966, which created a two-year breakfast pilot program and increased funding to needy children.

Needy children are the focus of the program, said Kathy Kane, director of the food service program for the Michigan City Area Schools. “When schools were closed for snow days, some families called the Red Cross to ask how they would feed their children. Some families said they simply did not buy food for children during the week. That's why I'm so happy that we can have the feeding program during the summer.”

Oberlie pointed to what he called “a paunch over my belly.

“I didn't eat properly when I was young,” Oberlie noted and urged youngsters to eat the nutritious meals prepared by the MCAS.

Fourth-grader Shawndrica McNeese was enjoying an alternate choice, Cheerios and juice. She chose chocolate milk to pour over her cereal.

Third-grader Brian Saavedra enjoyed the breakfast pizza, which he washed down with strawberry-flavored milk.

Justin Watts, another third grader, was succinct about his breakfast pizza. “I like it,” he said.

Mario Rosa, director of English as a Second Language and a parent liaison with the MCAS, has learned a lot about diabetes since he was diagnosed with the disease.

“A good balanced breakfast is essential if kids are going to avoid diabetes,” he said.

Contact reporter Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.