Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two die in South Shore accident
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../13/news/n9.txt

2 women killed when train hits car

GARY, Ind. (AP) - A South Shore commuter train hit a car at a railroad crossing, killing two women, transit police said.

Witnesses said the driver was trying to beat the train across the tracks about 7 p.m. Sunday, said Robert Byrd, police chief for the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District, which operates the railroad.

The women were pronounced dead at the scene, a crossing near County Line Road and U.S. 12 on Gary's east side.

The victims were identified as Jill Tutlewski, 26, of Portage, the driver, and her passenger, Julie Malkowski, 26, of Valparaiso, a spokesman for the Lake County Coroner's office said Monday.

Witnesses told transit police that the car drove around a lowered crossing arm in front of an oncoming freight train on a track that runs parallel to the South Shore, then tried the same thing in front of the commuter train.

The collision sent the car into a utility pole and scattered debris along a 100-yard stretch of track. There was only minor damage to the train.

The train, which had just left the South Shore station in Ogden Dunes, generally travels about 79 mph at that point, Byrd said.

“I just felt a 'thud,' then this grinding sound, then I saw one of the axles (from the car) come flying past my window,” said 19-year-old Jessica Stanley of Middlebury, who was sitting in a car waiting for the train to pass.

Max Main
Horrible. I can't even imagine the grief their families must be having. God grant them peace.
Ang
I can't imagine why in the world they would go around the gates in the first place.
BioTeach
Who knows what happened or why these individuals went around the rails? Regardless, they are both leaving loved ones behind. My heart and prayers go out to their families who lost their loved ones so quickly and unexpectedly.
Max Main
Nothing was worth that risk. I hope others will be deterred from doing so by this article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.