http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27151

Buell declares bid for sheriff

From Staff Reports

MICHIGAN CITY - Veteran sheriff's deputy Dick Buell will seek the Democratic nomination for sheriff in the May 2010 primary election.

Buell held a campaign kickoff Nov. 8 where he was introduced by a former sheriff, State Sen. Jim Arnold, D-La Porte, at Rodini's Restaurant. Buell, in a campaign announcement Wednesday, said he was "overwhelmed and humbled by the energetic crowd of family, friends and supporters" at the rally.

Now in his 25th year in law enforcement, Buell said he has prepared himself by accepting numerous positions within the Sheriff's Department that make him the most qualified candidate to become sheriff.

Buell said he told his supporters at the rally, with his wife, Dava, at his side, "We must return to strong leadership, communication not only within the department but also in the community, and fiscally we must be more responsible in this difficult economic time."

Exhibiting strong fair leadership and open communication to the 163 employees of the La Porte County Sheriff's Department is essential for a successful department, Buell added.

"If our employees understand the goals and objectives that will be established, then the people of La Porte County will be the benefactors and ultimately we will have a safer community," Buell said in his release. "I have invested my life here, I work here and I join the La Porte County citizens in maintaining a safe community."

He went on, "We will promote proactive law enforcement, high visibility to deter crime and establish administrative and management expertise that is proven and fair."

Buell continued, "Fiscally, we need to be more responsible in the areas of department overtime costs and inmate health care. I will investigate those areas in an attempt to cut costs in order to run a more fiscally sound department. I also pledge to the citizens of La Porte County that as sheriff I will accept a salary that is established by Indiana state statute.

"I WILL NOT accept one red cent over that amount, therefore not accepting money for myself from the La Porte County Fair, festivals or any similar type function. Additionally, in regard to the inmate commissary fund, I will go above what is established by Indiana state statute that requires reporting income and expenses biannually and I will submit a monthly report to the required body including all expenses and income."

Buell is a 1972 graduate and Athletic Hall of Fame member of Elston High School. He received an athletic scholarship to Northeast Oklahoma A&M and the University of Evansville, where he received a bachelor of arts degree in education. He graduated from the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in 1986.

He has served law enforcement in the capacity of deputy, detective, sergeant, chief of detectives, jail commander, captain and presently serves as the afternoon shift captain.

In 1993, he received along with other SWAT members the Police Officer of the Year award for efforts in a barricade situation. He belongs to numerous civic organizations where he holds positions of leadership.

Incumbent Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer hasn't publicly announced if he is seeking re-election. He, too, is a Democrat.