http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../14/news/n2.txt

Milsap pursues updates on run-down sites
By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

While city officials are investigating ways to rehabilitate run-down buildings like the former South Shore station on 11th Street and the hulking Warren Building on Franklin Square, one city councilman aims to get a handle on the status of several other dilapidated sites in Michigan City.

“My objective with this is to just get an idea of where these buildings are going,” said Councilman Willie Milsap, D-5th Ward. “People ride by and see these buildings and think they're run down and empty, and I want them to know if that's true or if it's not.”

Last month, Milsap asked City Planner John Pugh to look into the old Wells Chair building on U.S. 20 just east of Franklin Street and report back to the council.

Milsap had fielded complaints from residents about the building, which many thought was abandoned and, as a result, said he would begin a monthly process where he'll ask Pugh to look into the status of similar buildings.

Pugh told Milsap last week the building was owned by local contractor Michael Krachinski, who uses it as storage for materials for his business. He said no utilities are active in the building.

Milsap said he accepted Pugh's explanation, but added a building without any working utilities is of concern.

“It's of concern because utilities make or break the future of a building,” he said. “I was hoping John would give me more on what the future of that building is.”

Pugh said Monday that Krachinski told him the building is for sale. He also said the building is a “perfect example” of misconceptions about many buildings in Michigan City people see as run down.

“It may not look great on the outside, but it's being used, and taxes are being paid on it and he's keeping it up,” he said. “It may not be the best looking building in town, but what can you do?”

Pugh agreed buildings like the South Shore station, the Warren Building and the old Canterbury Theatre at 9th and Franklin streets are in disrepair and should be fixed.

Milsap said he plans to next ask Pugh to look into a building on the city's West Side near Indiana State Prison. He didn't know the name of it, but said he'd bring it up at the council's March 20 meeting.

Krachinski couldn't be reached for comment.

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.