http://heraldargus.com/articles/2010/01/19...68734697484.txt

Candidates can file this week

By Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:59 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — With several incumbents mulling a return to office, and some candidate hopefuls preparing to challenge them, candidate filing for state and La Porte County elected offices will open Wednesday.

County seats up for election are:

La Porte County sheriff — Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer, a Democrat, said he plans to run for a second term as sheriff. Sheriff’s Department Capt. Dick Buell, also a Democrat, has said he will run against him in the primary.

Candidates must have resided in the county for at least one year before the election.

La Porte County prosecutor — County Prosecutor Robert Beckman, a Democrat, said knows “exactly what he’s going to do” about running for a fifth term in office, but he didn’t want to confirm his candidacy just yet. “I’m a career trial attorney. I enjoy performing this service for the county. I enjoy trying cases in the courtroom to this very day,” he said.

Candidates must be admitted to the practice of law in the state of Indiana before the election.

Robert Szilagyi, who has been county attorney, announced earlier he would seek the Democratic nomination for prosecutor.

La Porte County assessor — Assessor Carol McDaniel, a Democrat, said she has not yet decided whether to run for a third term in office. However, Chief Deputy Assessor Judy Anderson said she will be running for the office as a Democrat, and several staffers have said McDaniel has decided to support Anderson.

Candidates must have resided in the county for at least one year before the election; own real property located in the county upon taking office; and must have attained the certification of a Level II assessor-appraiser under I.C. 6-1.1-35.5.

District 1 County Commissioner — Incumbent Mike Bohacek, a Democrat, said he will likely run for a second term. Jim La Rocco, who ran for mayor of Michigan City three years ago, has announced he will seek the Democratic nomination, too. Michigan City Common Councilman Willie Milsap, also a Democrat, is reportedly planning to run against him. This commissioner represents Michigan City and Michigan Township, but is elected countywide.

Candidates must have resided in the county for at least one year before the election, and have resided in the district in which they are seeking election for at least six months before the election.

County Council:

District 1 — Incumbent Terry Garner, a Republican, could not be reached to see if he plans to run for a third term. This council member represents Cass, Clinton, Dewey, Hanna, New Durham-Westville, Noble, and Prairie Townships, as well as parts of Center, Coolspring and Scipio townships.

District 2 — Incumbent Earl Cunningham, a Democrat, said he has not decided whether to run for a second term. This council member represents Coolspring and Springfield townships, as well as parts of Center and Michigan Township.

District 3 — Incumbent Mark Yagelski, a Democrat, said he will definitely run for a third term. This council member represents parts of Coolspring, Michigan and New Durham (Otis-Pinhook) townships.

District 4 — Incumbent Rich Mrozinski Jr., a Democrat, said he plans to run for a second term, but that’s it. “I feel like I’ve already made a difference, but with one more term I can do a lot of good,” he said. “I won’t run again after that ... it’s good to have new sets of eyes to look at things.” This council member represents Galena, Hudson, Johnson, Kankakee, Lincoln, Union, Washington and Wills townships, and parts of Center and Scipio townships.

Candidates must have resided in the county for at least one year before the election, and have resided in the district in which they are seeking election for at least six months before the election.

Three state representative seats are up for election:

District 9 — Incumbent is State Rep. Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City. He was elected to the House in 1998. This district includes Michigan City and Westville, as well as a portion of La Porte surrounding townships.

District 17 — Incumbent is State Rep. Nancy Dembowski, D-Knox. She was elected to the House in 2006, and served as a state senator in 2002-04. This district includes portions of La Porte, Starke and Marshall counties.

District 20 — Incumbent is State Rep. Tom Dermody, R-La Porte. He was elected to the House in 2006. This district includes portions of La Porte, Starke, Porter, Jasper and Pulaski counties.

Candidates must be a U.S. citizen at the time of the election; have resided in the state for at least two years, and in the house district for at least one year before the election; and be at least 21 years old upon taking office.

The offices of U.S. Senator Evan Bayh, D-Indiana, and District 2 U.S. Representative Joe Donnelly, D-Granger, are also up for election.

Candidates for office will have until noon Friday, Feb. 19, to file. Democratic and Republican primary elections will be held Tuesday, May 4, during which the parties will determine their candidates for the November ballot.