I am waiting for the action on McDaniels...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...c9936413405.txt

Beckman to seek fourth term

By Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:18 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — La Porte County Prosecutor Robert Beckman announced Tuesday he will seek a fourth term in office.

Beckman, 58, a Democrat, has served as county prosecutor since 1999.

“My credentials as your prosecutor are proven, public and well-known and have been consistently judged in the courts, in office administration and in the media for over a decade,” he said in a press release. “I possess, and have proven, the required progressive insight, leadership, temperament and innovative foresight to continue to ensure the safety and welfare of all La Porte County citizens.”

Beckman’s achievements have been a collective effort, he said, supported by 14 deputy prosecutors assigned to the county’s five courts and three magistrate courts, as well as 25 support-staff personnel.

“This staff and I have handled tens of thousands of criminal cases, adult protective services cases, victim advocacy cases, bad check cases, millions of dollars collected in child support cases and tens of thousands of infraction tickets,” he said. “I and the staff of the Office of Prosecuting Attorney further commit to continue to seek the truth and to do justice for all in the performance of our duties, and to never bend or surrender our extraordinary responsibilities to the politically expedient.”

Beckman graduated from Elston High School in 1969 and Indiana University in 1973. He obtained his law degree from Pepperdine University School of Law in 1978. His legal experience includes 10 years as a La Porte County public defender, 12 years as a La Porte County deputy prosecutor and 19 years as a private practice attorney with an emphasis on litigation and trial work.

His wife was Jo Beckman, who was a La Porte County deputy prosecutor. She passed away in 2008. He has two children, Bethany and Kevin Beckman. Bethany Beckman works for her father as a La Porte County deputy prosecutor.

Local attorney Robert Szilagyi has announced he will run against Beckman to get the Democratic nomination for La Porte County prosecutor.