Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larocco seeks commissioner seat
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...49216317297.txt

LaRocco seeks commissioner seat

From Staff Reports
Published: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:17 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — In filing his candidacy for La Porte County commissioner, Jim LaRocco said voters tell him they are tired of candidates not living up to their promises.

“During the last year, I have spent countless hours traveling throughout the county, talking to people,” LaRocco said in a news release Wednesday. “One fact was made abundantly clear to me. The voters feel that no one listens to them or cares about their problems. They say that all candidates are the same — they make promises and never deliver. They say that they are tired of candidates who support the wealthy and politically connected.”

LaRocco went on.

“I belong to no special-interest group, have no political axes to grind or favors to hand out, just the desire to make La Porte County the best that it can be. I want to restore people’s faith in their commissioner. I will be an honest, open and effective leader who will not dodge tough issues. I will run an honest, issue-oriented campaign.

“When I am elected, I will represent every taxpayer and treat everyone with respect. As an elected official, you have to put yourself in the place of the taxpayer and ask yourself, what would I expect from my elected official?

“An effective commissioner keeps the lines of communication open with taxpayers when they have a problem until it is rectified. An effective commissioner will always do what he believes is right and not just what is politically expedient.”

LaRocco, who is seeking the Democratic nomination in the May 4 primary, said, “When elected, you enter into a four-year contract with the voters of La Porte County. You owe it to them to attend meetings, be accessible, spend time in the office and treat them with the respect.

“I will be honest, open and accessible. I know that you will not always agree with me, but you can rest easy knowing my decision will be based on public feedback and research. My decision won’t be made for me by someone behind the scene.”

LaRocco said if elected, he would establish a monthly night with the commissioner where taxpayers can meet with him to give their views, ask questions and seek resolutions to their problems.

He also said he would place a premium on spending as much tax revenue as possible with La Porte County businesses.

“La Porte County cannot afford four more years of business as usual,” he said. “A positive change is needed. You can make that change happen by saying no to business as usual, no to the politically connected. Together, we can make La Porte County better.”

People can contact LaRocco at 874-0080.
JIM2011
[b]
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jan 28 2010, 09:51 AM) *

ONE THING FOR SURE, HE AT LEAST IS HIS OWN MAN.
Dave
Welcome to the board, JIM2011!
JHeath
“La Porte County cannot afford four more years of business as usual,” he said.

Sounds a lot like some of what was said during the last mayoral primary in MC. I'm anxious to hear more than "no more business as usual."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.