http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...aa853338228.txt

Kieft pursues Democratic nod for assessor

By Dave Hawk
Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:16 AM CST
COOLSPRING TOWNSHIP — Pam Kieft has announced she will seek the Democratic nomination for La Porte County assessor in the May 4 primary.

Kieft said she was the first person in La Porte County to achieve the highest level of assessor-appraiser, and has the most education and experience to hold the position.

On the opening day of candidate filing, she was attending the state-called Assessor’s Conference in Indianapolis. Over the past 15 years, Kieft said, she has attended all of these biannual conferences to further educate herself on the legislative changes to assessment practices and procedures.

“Continuing education is essential in the workplace, and I have worked very hard to stay abreast of assessment methods and trends,” Kieft said in a prepared statement.

“My goal is to bring leadership, education and professionalism to the office of La Porte County assessor, and to be available to residents when they have tax assessment issues to discuss. I believe tax assessment questions should have a timely resolution.”

Kieft served as Coolspring Township assessor for 16 years until the position was eliminated by the Indiana legislature, then was assigned to the Property Tax Board of Appeals for the remainder of her term, which expires at the end of this year. She does field work assessing for the county assessor’s office and is the PTBOA hearing officer.

During her time as Coolspring Township assessor, Kieft served on the Indiana Township Assessor Association’s legislative committee, was the North West vice president, the statewide conference organizer and most recently the education director until 2008.

Kieft is switching to the Democratic party after having been elected Coolspring Township assessor as a Republican

“I have had some philosophical differences with the Republican Party, and I said if (Gov.) Mitch Daniels gets rid of township assessors, I’m leaving the Republican Party, and I did,” she said in an interview Thursday.

“I’m more of an independent anyway, but the Republicans were not going the direction I wanted to go.

“I don’t think the assessor’s job is a political position anyway. It’s very technical. When someone walks in the door, I don’t care if they are a Democrat or Republican.

“I hope people vote for me because I am very educated on the subject and I can make a difference.”

Kieft said a person who runs for the office of county assessor must have attained his/her Level II assessor-appraiser certification before taking office. After Jan. 1, 2012, assessor candidates must have attained Level III assessor-appraiser certification. Kieft said she completed the level III certification more than a year and half ago and was the first in La Porte County to achieve that level of proficiency.

Kieft is a licensed real estate broker and has been in the real estate business for 20 years.

“Knowing the market in the area for 20 years has prepared me for computing market data assessments,” she said, “and knowing that data is a key component to serving the citizens of La Porte County in this capacity.”

Kieft is a member of the Coolspring Democratic Club and has been a volunteer for Meals on Wheels. She is a Michigan City Rogers High School graduate and has a business degree from Purdue University.

Pam and her husband, Rick, have lived in La Porte County for 36 years and raised three children.