http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...60161485178.txt

Strefling seeks nod for District 1 commissioner

Published: Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:17 AM CST
Running for the Democratic nomination for La Porte County Commissioner District 1 is Fred Strefling.

Strefling, 73, of Michigan City, said he wants to keep the county in decent shape and encourage businesses to move in, partially by stopping the excessive spending in government.

“Even if I’m running on the Democratic ticket, I want to be the commissioner for the people, for all the people,” he said Wednesday, “and I want to curtail the rampant spending in the county.”

Originally from Galien, Mich., Strefling has been a businessman much of his life. Along with his father, he built 2,500 homes across La Porte County, Chesterton, Valparaiso, and New Buffalo and Sawyer, as part of their business, Strefling Builders. And previous to that, he owned Strefling’s Liquor Store in Michigan City.

He said he’s running to give the county back to the people, explaining that the commissioners aren’t listening to what the people want and are spending too much money. But he needs the support of the people to do this.

“It takes the people to get behind you to do something,” he said, “otherwise it’s all going to go the politicians. But that’s the way it is right now.”

He has been married 52 years to his wife, Patricia, and has a son and two daughters. Strefling is retired.

Other problems he noted included the existence of too many county sheriff vehicles without enough presence in the area.

“I see there’s so much stuff that’s got to get done,” he said. “Everything is running rampant. The sky’s the limit and there’s got to be somebody that can help slow this down some and get the people back so they start to own the county some.”