http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...02023695954.txt

Van Schoyck will run for county council

Published: Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:17 AM CST
Running for the Republican nomination for the County Council District 1 seat is Dan Van Schoyck.

Van Schoyck, 60, of Union Mills, said he wants to balance the county budget and start reserving funds for emergencies.

“We need to stop spending and start saving,” he said during an interview on Wednesday, “instead of relying on other entities (like the River Boat Fund and the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act) when we’re out of money.”

Van Schoyck, a Work Occupations Safety and Health consultant for several local factories, and formerly a safety director at Fiberbond Corp. in Michigan City, has lived in Union Mills for the past 14 years. He was born and raised in La Porte, graduating from Rolling Prairie High School in 1968.

He’s been married to his wife, Annette, for 10 years.

Van Schoyck said he’s running for the position because he wants to get work done.

“I guess I got a little tired of everyone saying ‘this and that should be done’ and not doing anything about it,” he said. “I just wanted to step up to the plate and do what I could do. I think (the county’s) spending too much money. The belt tightening has to start someplace.”

For example, he said he was tired seeing police officers and county officials letting their cars run as they go inside convenience stores instead of turning them off. Since the officers’ gas is reimbursed by the county, he said it’s an unnecessary waste of taxpayer money and he wants to see that end.

He also said the county needs a fresh person who can look at the county’s problems from a direction, “And I won’t be a yes man for anybody.”