http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...9c111000211.txt

Huston seeks Dem nod for county sheriff

Commission chief may be first woman to seek post
By Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:18 AM CST
LA PORTE — The Democratic contest for the La Porte County sheriff nomination became even more interesting Tuesday with the addition of County Commission president Barb Huston, who is believed to be the first woman to seek the position.

Huston, 62, La Porte, has never been a law-enforcement officer, but said having more than 30 years experience running county government gives her an advantage over her opponents.

“My experience is in administration and budgeting, and that’s what this job is,” Huston said. “When you take someone out of the field and put them in an office, it’s a whole different regime.”

Huston has heard enough about “what’s going on in the sheriff’s department” regarding commissary funds and other issues, and said she has the experience necessary to correct them.

She was the first female to be hired for many county jobs, she said, and she has an extensive medical background. She has been paramedic, director of Emergency Medical Services and was county coroner for two terms.

Her bid for sheriff may have actually started two years ago when Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer went before the County Council to ask for a salary increase, she said. Last year, Mollenhauer made about $125,000. The sheriff also gets a vehicle, gas, even a $1,500 clothing allowance.

“At the end of the meeting, I jokingly said to some people, ‘With a salary like that, maybe I should run for sheriff,’” she said. “It’s been a rumor that I would ever since.”

County Commissioners make about $30,000 a year.

Involvement in both law enforcement and county government run in Huston’s family. Her husband, Tom Huston, was a detective sergeant with the La Porte County Sheriff’s Department for 17 years. He is now retired. Her daughter, Tracy Biggs, Union Mills, is married to La Porte County Sheriff’s Deputy Gary Biggs. Her son, Dustin Hicks, Union Mills, works for the county highway department.

A recent issue that surfaced between Mollenhauer and Sheriff’s Capt. Dick Buell, who are also vying for the Democratic nomination, was the matter of appointing the prison matron, who oversees meals served at the jail. Mollenhauer, and many sheriffs before him, have appointed their wives to that position. Huston said her husband definitely doesn’t want to be appointed to the position.

“He only knows how to cook two things: spaghetti and chicken,” she joked.

However, she said she does have a person in mind she would like to ask to take the job, although she hasn’t asked her about it. And the woman is not related to her.

“I want to concentrate on winning the election before I make those kind of plans,” she said.

Buell also has said he would not appoint his wife, Dava, to the position.