Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Council votes against historical status for Works
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../21/news/n1.txt

City declines to save The Works building
By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

Personal property rights won out over personal history Tuesday night in a vote that will allow Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets to decide the future of The Works building.

Michigan City Council members voted 7-1 against an initiative to add the building, at the southeast corner of Lighthouse Place, to the city's register of historic places.

The move paves the way for Lighthouse Place owners - the Chelsea Group - to expand shopping on the site, likely by tearing the building down.

The building now is empty.

Second Ward Councilman Paul Przybylinski was the sole vote in favor of adding the building, saying it could prove an anchor to future North End development. He also, however, told stories about his father and grandfather, who worked at the old Pullman Standard rail plant, which once sat on the grounds.

The Works is the last standing building from the Pullman factory.

“I believe it's critical we look at what could be,” he said. “We wouldn't be taking anything from anyone by doing this. We'd just be starting a dialogue.”

At-large councilwomen Virginia Martin and Evelyn Baker said they oppose the plan based simply on the taking of private property.

Fourth Ward councilwoman Pat Boy pointed out the building is not on any historic register.

“I'd have a very hard time taking property from someone that doesn't want to give it,” she said. “They've given us millions of dollars.”

Mayoral candidate Joie Winski floated an idea to save the building Tuesday, saying it would make the perfect spot for a rail museum. A local group called the South Shore Line Heritage Foundation has several old South Shore cars and hundreds of pieces of memorabilia it would like to place in the building.

Chelsea officials would have to agree to the plan, however, a move its attorney says is not likely.

“Passage of this ordinance doesn't create the museum,” said Todd Lieth, counsel for Chelsea Group. “Only if Chelsea Group determines it wants to do that, which is inconsistent with retail use. That's their prerogative.”

Chelsea's director of development and acquisitions, Ken Becker, said the company is trying to bring new life to some of its “older centers,” including Lighthouse Place.

He said the plan is to create 150,000 square feet of new shopping space in an “L” shape at the site.

Boy, who wanted to make sure Lighthouse Place had a plan for the site, asked Chelsea officials to find a compromise. At-Large councilman Joe Doyle agreed.

“A lot of the museums in town are looking for new space. I think they should all just work together,” Doyle said.

“Maybe instead of tearing it down, you could work with The Preservationists and donate the building and let them move it or something,” Boy said.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

Max Main
too late, she's coming down. go grab your bricks while you can.
Southsider2k12
*sigh* Another one bites the dust. I was glad to see that Winski tried to have something done to halt this, and was very disappointed to see only Przybylinski voted to stop it. I was never a big fan of shopping at LHP after the original ownership group sold out, and the mall became just another coroporate shill, but I have lost all desire to do business out there anymore. The place has become something completely different than what it was when it opened, with all of the high end brand names that most of MC can't afford anyway. Besides if they don't respect our history, I don't care about their bottom line.

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../22/news/n1.txt

Demolition begins on Works building
By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

The owners of Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets wasted no time in beginning demolition of The Works building Wednesday, just hours after the City Council decided against including the building in the city's historic district.

“This is just wrong. It's just wrong,” said David Landau, a proponent of saving the building who presented council members with more than 250 signatures in favor of saving the building, as he drove past the site on his way to work. “Even if they're going to do, it they're not doing it correctly. This is just wrong.”

Lighthouse Place owners, the Chelsea Group, began tearing the building down the day after a move to save the building by the Michigan City Common Council failed on a 6-1 vote. Councilman Paul Przybylinski, who wrote the ordinance, was the only member to vote in favor of it. Councilman Willie Milsap was attending fire training and was absent and Councilman Chuck Lungren resigned prior to the meeting.

Chelsea representatives said at the council meeting Tuesday that the group plans to add at least 150,000 square feet of retail space on the site, located at the mall's far southeast corner.

Demolition work began concerns from Landau and others that the group didn't have proper permits to tear the building down. Landau said Chelsea didn't have IDEM permits to tear down the neighboring Pullman building - removed last month - or The Works.

In a statement from Chelsa, Lighthouse Place spokesperson Janice Behler said Wednesday that all permits were in place and that asbestos wasn't a problem.

“We're pleased at the City Council's vote last night that will allow us to continue with our plan,” Behler said.

John Clevenger, an IDEM inspector, backed up Behler's comments Wednesday, saying Chelsea Group had properly demolished the Pullman building and has proper permits for demolition of The Works.

He said Danielle Barrett, an inspector in Merrillville, inspected both buildings and said IDEM doesn't require demolition permits. The department only asks for a notification of demolition, he said.

The company has to let IDEM know who owns the property if there is asbestos and, if it's been remediated, who did the remediation and when the demolition will take place and the name of the company tearing the building down.

“Everything is in compliance and A-OK,” he said. “All that needs to be done has been done and everything is in order. I would imagine any asbestos in The Works building was taken care of when the building was opened.” The building opened as a retail center in June 1989.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

Max Main
I agree with your comment regarding their lack of respect.

LHP gets over 3 million visits a year. I wonder how many are from mc ppl.
Ang
I think the only MC ppl who go to LHP are the ones that work there. Or the ppl who want a nice environment to walk in on a sunny day. The only time I ever shopped there was when I had a coupon for something. Otherwise, It's Meijer or garbage sales. (I said that on purpose. that's what I call garage sales cause one man's trash is another man's treasure)
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 22 2007, 12:21 PM) *

I think the only MC ppl who go to LHP are the ones that work there. Or the ppl who want a nice environment to walk in on a sunny day. The only time I ever shopped there was when I had a coupon for something. Otherwise, It's Meijer or garbage sales. (I said that on purpose. that's what I call garage sales cause one man's trash is another man's treasure)

Yeah for garage sales cool.gif I agree with you 110%

Also over the years our trips to LHP have become less and less because that mall has slowly been morphing into the samething as every other suburban mall in the US. It was much more fun when there were unique shops and products to be offered. I remember places like the local bookstores, Sassafrass and the like which you really couldn't find in the area. Now its just a carbon copy of anywhere else you would go, because they keep adding stores like Gap, Aerostaple, Old Navy and the like. If I want a carbon copy, I'll go Wal-Mart or Meijer.
Max Main
Yep, I agree. Again, it comes back to whether ppl are willing to spend a llittle more to buy noncorporately. F'rinstance, do you go to Simmers or starbucks? Gimme simmers, and a slice of pound cake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.