Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carlos McCormick transfering from City to Bowman
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
Southsider2k12
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...4d35dae6ee.html

Bowman gets two hoop transfers from Region

Defending Class A Eagles get size and shooting

* Story
* Discussion

BY STEVE HANLON - steve.hanlon@nwi.com, (219) 933-4198 | Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:00 am | (2) Comments

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Defending Class A state champion Bowman Academy has had two talented basketball players transfer into the Gary charter school in the last two weeks.

Stephan Hawkins, a 6-foot-8 incoming junior who played at River Forest last year, and Carlos McCormick, an incoming junior shooting guard from Michigan City, have both enrolled at Bowman. They are playing on the Eagles' summer team.

The Eagles had nine seniors on last year's team, which beat Barr-Reeve 74-52 at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"Right now we're in the process of looking at it and deciding how we'll approach it," River Forest athletic director Dennis Leonard said.

"Stephan's a talented kid. Six-foot-8 doesn't come along too often, especially at a 2A school. Obviously there's no way we can replace him."

Ingots coach Jason Quigg said he was not allowed to talk about the situation. However, Leonard expressed the anger that some in the River Forest school community are feeling.

"A 6-foot-8 kid leaves River Forest and goes to Bowman, what do I have to say about it?" Leonard said. "We'll just have to see how the IHSAA handles it."

Bowman boys basketball coach and athletic director Marvin Rea said that he heard of the transfer two weeks ago. He said the family members of both student athletes spoke about getting their sons into a better academic environment. Rea said that basketball had nothing to do with either transfer.

"These are two families who saw the benefit of what our school has to offer in the classroom," Rea said.

"We are very proud of our academic situation at our school. That is why kids and their families want to come to us."

McCormick hit six 3-pointers for Michigan City and had a game-high 20 points in a game at Merrillville while he played for John Boyd. McCormick averaged 12 points and two assists for the Wolves last year. But Boyd said that his best attribute is his ability to play lock-down defense on opponents.

"I had heard rumors from his dad that he was going to Bowman, and I respect that. I can only deal with what I have control over," Boyd said.

"Marvin's bringing in a lot of people. I don't know where he's going to put them all. But I'm sure he's making all kinds of promises to a lot of people.

"The hard part is keeping all of those promises."
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...bb526732349.txt

McCormick transferring to Bowman?

High School Basketball
From Staff Reports
Published: Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:12 AM CDT
It appears coach John Boyd will go into his second season as Michigan City’s boys basketball coach without one of his top returning players.

According to a report in The Times of Northwest Indiana, incoming junior Carlos McCormick is one of two players who have transferred to Bowman Academy, the defending Class A state champions.

McCormick is reportedly joining incoming 6-8 junior Stephen Hawkins from River Forest at Bowman.

However, according to Michigan City athletic director Bob “Bear” Falls, McCormick is still a student at MCHS.

“We haven’t filled out any transfer paperwork,” Falls said. “I haven’t seen one come through at all.”

MCHS would have to approve any athletic transfer. Falls didn’t say whether or not he would try to block any such action.

McCormick had a solid sophomore season for the Wolves, earning a reputation as one of the Duneland Conference’s best one-on-one defenders while his offensive game developed. In one game at Merrillville, McCormick made six 3-pointers and scored a career-best 20 points.
taxthedeer
Carlos McCormick's decision to transfer from Michigan City to Bowman following his sophomore year has paid off. Him and the Eagles have won the 2A Northern semi-state and will play for the state championship next week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.