Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: County GOP selects 5
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
kharris
LA PORTE — County Republicans took care of unfinished business Saturday and selected five candidates to compete in the November general election.

At the GOP caucus, Chairman Keith Harris appointed Alan Sirinek to take on Bob Szilagyi in the prosecutor’s race. The caucus chose David Gariepy for sheriff, Duane Miller for Center Township trustee, Nicholas Rebac for Coolspring Township trustee and Timothy Stabosz for Center Township board member.

After the caucus, prominent local Republican and Chief Deputy Prosecutor Atley Price said he thought the GOP candidates could bring the party back to the local strength it experienced in the ’70s and ’80s.

“I think this is going to be a good year for the Republicans, both nationally and locally,” he said.

Sirinek, a deputy prosecutor in La Porte County Superior Court 4, was in agreement.

Sirinek said he supported his boss, Prosecutor Rob Beckman, in the Democratic primary. Now he thinks he can beat Szilagyi, who handed Beckman a close loss in May.

“I’ll do a much better job as prosecuting attorney,” he said. “I think it’s a clear choice.”

He said the law enforcement community knows his work ethic and has been supportive of his candidacy.

“They would much rather have me as prosecutor,” he said.

Although incumbents, with their campaign money and electoral experience, have traditionally been considered tough opponents, Sirinek said an anti-incumbency mood among voters this year will play to his advantage.

Szilagyi is not an incumbent, but has been County Commission attorney and has ties to the Democratic hierarchy.

“Compared to me, he’s going to be viewed more as an incumbent,“ Sirinek said.

Sirinek also is attorney for Kingsford Heights and Wanatah and has a private practice.

Unlike Sirinek, sheriff’s candidate David Gariepy does face an incumbent this fall. He said he has some catching up to do against Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer.

“Obviously, the sheriff has a jump start on me because he’s been in for the last four years,” said Gariepy, former chief of the La Porte Police Department.

Although he said he is “not a politician,” Gariepy didn’t waste any time criticizing Mollenhauer. Gariepy said the sheriff shouldn’t have appointed his wife as jail matron and should be more transparent with the use of commissary funds, which are raised from inmate purchases.

In a release, he attacked Mollenhauer on those and other points.

“Though Sheriff Mollenhauer’s political billboards claim ethical and professional leadership qualities, he has done little to indicate that he possesses those fine traits,” he said.

The 24-year veteran of the La Porte Police Department said Republicans can win, even in Democratic La Porte County.

“It can happen,” said Gariepy, adding, “Michigan City is a little bit tougher nut to crack.”

The other candidates that GOP put forward Saturday will be strong, Harris said.

“I just think they’ll make excellent candidates for the positions they are on the ballot for,” he said.

Although the Democratic primaries mean voters may be more acquainted with some of those candidates, Price suggested a primary fight also has drawbacks.

“Whoever the Democratic candidates are at this point, if they ran in a primary, they had to expend a lot for money in the primary,” he said.
Ang
Who are the other three candidates and what office are they running for?
Dave
Any links for further information on the Republican Party candidates?

I'm not seeing any at http://www.laportecountygop.org
kharris
QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 13 2010, 06:15 PM) *

Any links for further information on the Republican Party candidates?

I'm not seeing any at http://www.laportecountygop.org

Complete cast of GOP candidates can be found here
2010 Republican Candidates
Ang
Thanks wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.