Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's your favorite chili recipe?
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City at rest
bigchef_46360
This is an easy recipe that I make:

Steak Chili:

Ingredients:

6 pack of your favorite beer

4T Olive Oil

3 Lbs Round Steaks, cubed

1 Lb Ground Chuck

1 Large Yellow Onion, Chopped

2 T Minced Garlic

3 green Chiles, chopped

4T Chili Powder

2 1/2 Cayenne Pepper

2 T Cumin

2 T Mrs. Dash Garden Blend

6 Large Tomatoes, Diced

1 64 oz can of V8 Vegetable Juice

1/2 c. Brown Sugar

3 15 oz cans of Red Kidney Beans, drained

1 lb Shredded Colby Jack Cheese

2 Bunches Of Green Onions, Chopped

Directions:

1. In a Dutch Oven , or large pot over medium- high heat, combine Oil, and meats. As meat starts to cook, add Yellow Onion, chilies, garlic, Mrs Dash, cumin, and chili powder.

2. By this time, you should be finished with first beer, so pop another one open.

3.Add brown sugar and stir, until completely mixed in. Add tomatoes, and kidney beans,and V8. Reduce heat to low, and cover pot, and simmer for an hour.

4. Garnish bowls of chili with shredded cheese and green onions
bandaid19
I like hot chili, so I'll share. smile.gif

I vary these ingredients to taste, so feel free to mix it up!

1lb. Bob Evans "hot" roll sausage
1 lb. ground chuck

1 med. white onion
2c carrots, shredded or sliced
2 cans corn
1 jalepeno, finely diced
(I also sometimes put green pepper and/or celery here, depending on how many vegetables I think my husband requires. smile.gif

1 can (20oz) crushed tomatoes

2 cans (20oz) Brooks Chili Hot beans

5 additional 12 oz cans of beans, your choice (I usually go pretty multicultural.. garbanzo, white northern, red kidney, black beans, etc.) Mix it up for a great color/texture variety!

Brown the meat in a large stock pan... when about halfway cooked, add the onion, diced to your preference, along with the finely diced jalapeno.

When the meat is cooked, and onions translucent, I add the carrots, corn and tomato. Stir well to combine. At this point, taste and season. I usually add a small amount of salt, 2T of cayenne pepper, some beef boullion (watch the salt if you use this), cumin, and occasionally some Dave's Insanity Sauce.

Once combined, I add all beans, and stir well.

Keep the chili low and slow... I usually keep it on med low/med heat until it starts to bubble at the top, and then I turn it down to med. low for 2-3 hours. Set yourself a timer... stir it every 20 min or so, so it doesn't scorch/stick on the bottom.

You can really ramp this recipe up or down heat wise, just by changing beans and spices. The key to really hot chili is making sure you have heat at each level.. in this case, meat, vegetables, beans and spices.

It also freezes well!

Hope this works for someone. smile.gif

bigchef_46360
Sounds quite tasty!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.