Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 Meet & Greet
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2
Ang
It's time to start planning for our annual meet & greet.

Planning starts with deciding on a location. Please suggest a locally owned restaurant you would like and in a month or so, I'll put up a poll for location/day time selection which also serves as the RSVP.

The meet & greet is a safe environment for members to get a face to go with the names of all these people here we talk to every day. We always have a great time and friendships have been made through them, as well as existing friendships strengthened.

Having said that, suggest away......

ninja.gif Tim, when exactly are you going to be home so we can try to plan our get together around your trip? ninja.gif
Southsider2k12
Charlies has offered themselves up as a location, if no one has any serious objections.
Ang
That's right, and it's owned by one of our members!
Tim
Hey Ang - I'll be in MC from the morning of the 22nd to the morning of the 29th. Can't wait to get there!
lovethiscity
QUOTE(Tim @ Oct 29 2010, 07:01 PM) *

Hey Ang - I'll be in MC from the morning of the 22nd to the morning of the 29th. Can't wait to get there!

What month and what year?
Tim
QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Oct 29 2010, 09:04 PM) *

What month and what year?

Pick one!
MichiganCityDDS
Charlie's is gonna be out after this wkend
bigchef_46360
Closing?
Ang
bump
Southsider2k12
I'm in for whatever. Charlies is out now, but we can talk about anything.
eric.hanke
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 18 2010, 01:27 PM) *
I'm in for whatever. Charlies is out now, but we can talk about anything.

Charlies let their liquor license expire. ohmy.gif

MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 21 2010, 08:50 PM) *

Charlies let their liquor license expire. ohmy.gif

That's not correct. Where did you hear that? For one, there is no "liquor" license at Charlie's. Never has been. Beer & wine, only.
Ang
Umm... so doesn't anyone want to get together this year?
eric.hanke
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Nov 21 2010, 09:49 PM) *

That's not correct. Where did you hear that? For one, there is no "liquor" license at Charlie's. Never has been. Beer & wine, only.

Don't you need a license to sell Beer and Wine?

MichiganCityDDS
charlie's is still open, I only meant it was out cuz Parky's were not there any more
MichiganCityDDS
I would be willing to break my boycott of Matey's.
edgeywood
QUOTE(MichiganCityDDS @ Nov 22 2010, 05:04 PM) *

I would be willing to break my boycott of Matey's.

Matey's is OK w/me...but I'm curious about the boycott? What's the story?
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 22 2010, 04:43 PM) *

Don't you need a license to sell Beer and Wine?

Of course, but Charlie's does hold a beer and wine license. I assure you.
Ang
Does any one else have any suggestions? We could revisit some old suggestions of places that were voted out.

Sorry Doc, but I'm not fond of Matey's and would honestly take Swingbelly's over Matey's. wacko.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 23 2010, 09:15 AM) *

Does any one else have any suggestions? We could revisit some old suggestions of places that were voted out.

Sorry Doc, but I'm not fond of Matey's and would honestly take Swingbelly's over Matey's. wacko.gif

If we want to stay local, we could always try something like Holly's. That is one of my favorite spots.
Ang
Well, I was going to suggest that....
Tim
QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 22 2010, 04:09 PM) *

Umm... so doesn't anyone want to get together this year?

Me! Me! Me!

What about The Ritz Klub? That was a pretty life-altering cheeseburger I enjoyed at last year's gathering.

I don't think I've been to Holly's in 20 years, but I remember not liking it.

I'm pretty flexible - so long as we go somewhere I like.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Ang
The Ritz Klub is nice...
I've been back there since last year, still good food with large portions, good service, and good price.
Southsider2k12
I could also extend the idea to the facebook page, which has 840 members now by the way smile.gif
Ang
Sure!
eric.hanke
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 23 2010, 09:16 AM) *

If we want to stay local, we could always try something like Holly's. That is one of my favorite spots.

NO NO NO! Every time I eat at Holly's it takes forever.

Tim
Considering the walking zombie service my family and I experienced last year at Swingbelly's I would not suggest that dump.
ChickenCityRoller
How about the same as last year?
Ang
My son is in town for Thanksgiving and he ate at Holly's yesterday. The food had to be sent back and the waitress was awful. My son was very disappointed because he's always had fond memories of that place.

I'd be happy with the Ritz Klub again....
MC Born & Raised
Ye Olde Benny's? Just a suggestion.
Tim
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Nov 27 2010, 04:24 PM) *

Ye Olde Benny's? Just a suggestion.

Aren't they a little... pricey? I have no idea, really - just a gut feeling that they might be.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(Tim @ Nov 27 2010, 10:33 PM) *

Aren't they a little... pricey? I have no idea, really - just a gut feeling that they might be.

I mean, it's not McDonald's ... but I wouldn't use the term "pricey." biggrin.gif
Dave
I'm in!

IndyTransplant
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Nov 28 2010, 02:21 AM) *

I mean, it's not McDonald's ... but I wouldn't use the term "pricey." biggrin.gif

Benny's is a nice atmosphere (fairly quiet) and has more room than Ritz Club. I like RItz club, but it is crowded and I have tried to go there twice recently when their open sign was on, patrons were inside (8:30 to 9:00 pm) and found the doors locked becuase they were going to close early. Their hours are at their own whim. Benny's also has a larger selection of drinks and their food (IMHO) is good and not pricey (again IMO). They have dinner specials daily.

Tim
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Nov 28 2010, 03:21 AM) *

Yeah - I just looked at the menu here -

http://local.yahoo.com/info-15948810-ye-ol...s-michigan-city

Not bad at all.
Tim
QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Nov 28 2010, 02:47 PM) *

Benny's is a nice atmosphere (fairly quiet) and has more room than Ritz Club. I like RItz club, but it is crowded and I have tried to go there twice recently when their open sign was on, patrons were inside (8:30 to 9:00 pm) and found the doors locked becuase they were going to close early. Their hours are at their own whim. Benny's also has a larger selection of drinks and their food (IMHO) is good and not pricey (again IMO). They have dinner specials daily.

I'm not in love with Ritz Klub or anything - more like a default vote based on not really having another idea. Benny's menu looks good. At first I thought "way out there?" But then I remembered spending a lot of time out there when the Dompkes owned it.

I'm good with Benny's.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 24 2010, 12:42 PM) *

I could also extend the idea to the facebook page, which has 840 members now by the way smile.gif

I will put something up on Monday about it, and then also mention Benny's as a possible locale.
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Tim @ Nov 27 2010, 09:33 PM) *

Not really pricey but I will say if we meet there, the only thing I'll order is some straight, high proof drink, I'll leave it at that. blink.gif

Holly's... the last time and one of the first times I was there was about five years ago. I ordered a BLT. Out came my BLT, on a plate, with some cold fries, two pieces of white bread, some brown lettuce and a couple slices of tomatoe, no bacon! I asked where the bacon was and the server told me they had run out, lol.

MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Nov 29 2010, 11:48 AM) *

Not really pricey but I will say if we meet there, the only thing I'll order is some straight, high proof drink, I'll leave it at that. blink.gif

Holly's... the last time and one of the first times I was there was about five years ago. I ordered a BLT. Out came my BLT, on a plate, with some cold fries, two pieces of white bread, some brown lettuce and a couple slices of tomatoe, no bacon! I asked where the bacon was and the server told me they had run out, lol.

The "B" stands for brown, silly. "Brown lettuce tomato" ... You were confused, clearly. wink.gif
Tim
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Nov 29 2010, 11:48 AM) *

You shoulda said "My turn" - and then ran out.

laugh.gif

Do we have a date for this shindig in mind? Is our resident psychic supposed to get ahold of us?
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Tim @ Nov 29 2010, 10:56 PM) *

You shoulda said "My turn" - and then ran out.

laugh.gif

Do we have a date for this shindig in mind? Is our resident psychic supposed to get ahold of us?

LOL

No date set in stone yet but our resident psychic already knows what date it is going to be. I should give her a call. biggrin.gif

Tim
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Nov 30 2010, 12:24 PM) *

LOL

No date set in stone yet but our resident psychic already knows what date it is going to be. I should give her a call. biggrin.gif

No need! Contact her with your mind.
Ang
Ok, so is it Ye Olde Benny's? And have we decided on a date? I'm liking a Sunday brunch, but we can always do a week night dinner.

Helllloooooo...........................
(knock, knock, knock)
Is there anybody in there?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 9 2010, 09:43 AM) *

Ok, so is it Ye Olde Benny's? And have we decided on a date? I'm liking a Sunday brunch, but we can always do a week night dinner.

(knock, knock, knock)

Are they open on Sundays?
Tim
QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 9 2010, 10:43 AM) *

(knock, knock, knock)

Hold on there - how does "brunch" and "drink like a fish" work out?

Heh.

Sunday brunch would not be great for me. Do-able - not great.
Tim
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Dec 9 2010, 10:55 AM) *

Are they open on Sundays?

Yes, but apparently they are only open 30 minutes a day.

laugh.gif
Ang
Well, I guess we won't go there. wink.gif

How about some place that's been here a while that serves food and alcohol...
Three Sheets
Gratty's
Hammer's
Harmony Bar
Albano's (at least beer & wine)
Some such other place on the order of the above....
IndyTransplant
QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 9 2010, 10:19 PM) *

Yes, but apparently they are only open 30 minutes a day.

laugh.gif

Smart A** dry.gif

That is a common Yahoo issue - I fought a losing email fight with them in a prior position as a property manager where in our listing they insisted I closed at 12:00 am on Saturdays. No Way was I going to come in or go home at midnight.

MichiganCityDDS
Mateys
Ang
You must like that place, Doc.

So, then....
Is everyone up for Matey's? Ha Ha--we can park across the street at Swingbelly's and make it look like there are lots of people there, when in fact, we're all across the street!! laugh.gif

How does the 27th or 28th sound? Tim, what's good for you again?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.