Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My week in Michigan City
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City at rest
Tim
I just spent a fun week in MC. Coming home for the holidays is always special. No matter how long I've been gone - 26 years - Michigan City will always be home. As I've said, spending Christmas in the same house in Edgewood my family moved into when I was 4 is pretty special. My sisters and I are well aware that will not happen in perpetuity, so we're always grateful for one more time.

Some thoughts -

Best breakfast - Memo's, far and away. THIS is the way to run a restaurant. Great, friendly, and helpful service. Great food and HOT pancakes - an increasing rarity in MC restaurants. Once we hit Memo's the 2nd day I was there there was no point in going anywhere else. Had breakfast there 3 more times -each time was great.

Albano's - how the heck do they make pizzas that taste EXACTLY the same as they did 30 ears ago? It's been a couple of years since I had one of their triumphs - just cheese and sausage. Incredible.

Marquette Mall - wow. At least the three anchor stores seemed busy, but those long, empty stretches were just sad. Must be awfully quiet out there in February.

WalMart - want to stick to your diet? Go walk around WalMart. Even the people who work there are huge. Truly shocking.

Washington Park - the Festival Of Lights is SO over-the-top cornball - which makes it perfect! No holiday trip home would be complete without a drive through or two.

Nothing stays the same. Michigan City is going through changes, but still seems in pretty good shape. As such, it's always a pleasure to come home.
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Tim @ Jan 5 2011, 11:45 PM) *
I just spent a fun week in MC. Coming home for the holidays is always special. No matter how long I've been gone - 26 years - Michigan City will always be home. As I've said, spending Christmas in the same house in Edgewood my family moved into when I was 4 is pretty special. My sisters and I are well aware that will not happen in perpetuity, so we're always grateful for one more time.
Tim I'm glad that you had a good visit. Too bad we couldn't meet up for a couple drinks like last years, City By The Lake get together.

Some thoughts -

Best breakfast - Memo's, far and away. THIS is the way to run a restaurant. Great, friendly, and helpful service. Great food and HOT pancakes - an increasing rarity in MC restaurants. Once we hit Memo's the 2nd day I was there there was no point in going anywhere else. Had breakfast there 3 more times -each time was great.

Agreed. It's the best breakfast joint in town. 3rd coast in Chesterton has a really good breakfast as well.

[/color]

Albano's - how the heck do they make pizzas that taste EXACTLY the same as they did 30 ears ago? It's been a couple of years since I had one of their triumphs - just cheese and sausage. Incredible.

[color="#000099"]Not sure if I want to know why it tastes EXACTLY the same as it did 30 years ago

Marquette Mall - wow. At least the three anchor stores seemed busy, but those long, empty stretches were just sad. Must be awfully quiet out there in February.

Yeah, the dead nucleus. I still try to go to Sears but after going there a couple weeks back with 500 bucks in hand to buy electronics and I watched a group of five customer service reps sit and shoot the breeze fro ten minutes BEFORE, I went over and cried for help, I have a hard time going back.

WalMart - want to stick to your diet? Go walk around WalMart. Even the people who work there are huge. Truly shocking.

You have seen this website, right? http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9802

I wear it as a badge of honor that I've never crossed the threashold of that place. It represents everything I'm against. Sam Walton is rolling in his grave.

Washington Park - the Festival Of Lights is SO over-the-top cornball - which makes it perfect! No holiday trip home would be complete without a drive through or two.

Yup, lol

Nothing stays the same. Michigan City is going through changes, but still seems in pretty good shape. As such, it's always a pleasure to come home.

Tim
Thanks, CCR - yeah, next time for sure! Hated missing this year's mini-blast. Family stuff. But yeah - next time it's a plan!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.