Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Internet and Landlines
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Homey
Am considering losing the expensive landline and AT&T...and just using a cell. (Don't laugh, I haven't got a cellphone yet and I'm technically challenged smile.gif)

I want to switch totally from AT&T, and am currently using them for my internet as well. Anyone have suggestions to help me make the right choice? cool.gif
taxthedeer
QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 21 2011, 03:11 PM) *

Am considering losing the expensive landline and AT&T...and just using a cell. (Don't laugh, I haven't got a cellphone yet and I'm technically challenged smile.gif)

I want to switch totally from AT&T, and am currently using them for my internet as well. Anyone have suggestions to help me make the right choice? cool.gif

I've never been much of a cell phone person either. I only have a Tracfone that I only use for emergencies since pay phones are becoming obsolete. I switched from Comcast to NetZero DSL a couple years ago and have been really happy with them, outages occur way less frequently with NetZero than Comcast and pay $25.90 per month.
Tim
Have you considered Skype? You'd still need internet so it might be a push, cost-wise. I use Skype to call the states - $7 a month to any phone in the US as long as I want. Computer to computer is free of course.

Cell phones are indispensable here. Get on the train - EVERY person is reading something on their cell. I used to read the News Dispatch on the train every morning, but canned my cell phone internet due to the cost. The better half and I text constantly - I couldn't imagine life without a cell phone.
Homey
QUOTE(Tim @ Mar 22 2011, 06:53 PM) *

Have you considered Skype? You'd still need internet so it might be a push, cost-wise. I use Skype to call the states - $7 a month to any phone in the US as long as I want. Computer to computer is free of course.

Cell phones are indispensable here. Get on the train - EVERY person is reading something on their cell. I used to read the News Dispatch on the train every morning, but canned my cell phone internet due to the cost. The better half and I text constantly - I couldn't imagine life without a cell phone.

I have Skype and used it for oversea communication..but not very often. I'm not a "phone" person, so the $65 per month AT&T bill is hard to swallow when I'm not getting my $$ worth.

Oh, another thing just to give folks a heads up. Really examine your monthly bill from AT&T...and maybe other plans as well. I had a bill that seemed alittle higher than usual and found a slamming charge of $14.95 from a company called Nextgen Connect. Stating is was a long distance provider. I called and got it removed and then AT&T sent me a form to fill out to better protect my service from slamming charges. I don't know how these companies can attach themselves without consent. Really po'd about it.

Still haven't decided what I want to do yet. I worry about all the changes I will have to go through and all the contact numbers I have attached to my personal business.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.