Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revolutionary War Battle of Trail Creek fought on Michigan City soil
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
taxthedeer
Click to view attachment

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...42-5238c470451a

In a wooded area in Memorial Park

After the British burned an American-occupied fort at Cahokia, Illinois, a small group of about 16 Frenchmen and Americans living at Cahokia plotted a surprise attack on Fort St. Joseph at Niles, Michigan. This group, led by Capt. Hamelin and Lt. John Brady, easily captured the British garrison at Fort St. Joseph.
While they were returning, a group of British soldiers and Pottawattomie Indians pursued and overtook the raiding party somewhere near Trail Creek, on December 5, 1780. The Americans were badly defeated in the battle.
Southsider2k12
That is very cool. I never knew why they called it Mt Tom.
taxthedeer
Does anybody know where Marquette Spring or Memorial Park along the Lakefront is located or even if these two places are still in existance today? The U.S. troops that fought in the Battle of Trail Creek were not from Michigan City, they were from American and Creole soldiers Cahokia, Illinois, just across the Missippi River from St. Louis. The library got the story wrong, Michigan City did not exist yet when the Battle of Trail Creek was fought, unless they meant 19 Michigan City men died in World War I.

Click to view attachment

http://www.mclib.org/genealogy/plcmichigan...tleofTrailCreek

Battle of Trail Creek
(A historical marker in Memorial Park on Liberty Trail)

After the British burned an American-occupied fort at Cahokia, Illinois, a small group of about 16 Frenchmen and Americans living at Cahokia plotted a surprise attack on Fort St. Joseph at Niles, Michigan. This group, led by Capt. Hamelin and Lt. John Brady, easily captured the British garrison at Fort St. Joseph.

While they were returning, a group of British soldiers and Pottawattomie Indians pursued and overtook the raiding party somewhere near Trail Creek, on December 5, 1780. The Americans were badly defeated in the battle.

The Memorial Park marker honors those who died in this skirmish. The park itself came into being after World War I, when Mayor Martin T. Krueger donated a tract of woods to be known as Memorial Park in honor of the 19 Michigan City men who died in the war.

Memorial Park is also the site where Father Marquette, the great French Jesuit missionary, preached to a group of Pottawattomie Indians in 1675 upon his return from Chicago to St. Ignace in upper Michigan, just before his death. Marquette Spring, near Friendship Gardens, is named for him.
taxthedeer
Krueger Memorial Park is the area in front of the log cabin lodge on Liberty Trail. There is an old marker there commemorating the Battle of Trail Creek, the historical marker has become quite deteriorated and is really in dire need of restoration. Didn't bother looking for Marquette Spring, lots of mosquitoes.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jun 20 2011, 07:18 PM) *

Krueger Memorial Park is the area in front of the log cabin lodge on Liberty Trail. There is an old marker there commemorating the Battle of Trail Creek, the historical marker has become quite deteriorated and is really in dire need of restoration. Didn't bother looking for Marquette Spring, lots of mosquitoes.

Again, very cool stuff! Thanks for posting!
taxthedeer
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Southsider2k12
Have you come across anything in findings to do with Camp Anderson?'
taxthedeer
Not yet, know there is a marker at Carrol Ave. and Michigan Blvd. by McDonald's and there were two other civil war camps near La Porte on by where the present national guard armory is located and another on the east of La Porte at an area called "Satan's Hallow". I can't believe there is an area around here called "Satan's Hallow". I really want to go on an expedition and find out where "Satan's Hallow" is located.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jun 21 2011, 02:41 PM) *

Not yet, know there is a marker at Carrol Ave. and Michigan Blvd. by McDonald's and there were two other civil war camps near La Porte on by where the present national guard armory is located and another on the east of La Porte at an area called "Satan's Hallow". I can't believe there is an area around here called "Satan's Hallow". I really want to go on an expedition and find out where "Satan's Hallow" is located.

I've seen the marker. I was curious about some history there. It would be interesting to find out what troops went through there, and if there were anyone famous, either locally or nationally, who had been there.
taxthedeer
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jun 21 2011, 02:52 PM) *

I've seen the marker. I was curious about some history there. It would be interesting to find out what troops went through there, and if there were anyone famous, either locally or nationally, who had been there.
I'm beginning to see the reasoning why the Pottawatomie Indians were removed from this land fifty years later, they sided with the British and brutally massacred and scalped for reward our American patriot soldiers during the Revolutionary War.
taxthedeer
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.