Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2011-2012 Official Wolves football thread
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Southsider2k12
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/613986...ick-around.html

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.

New football coach at Michigan City. Really excited about the gig. Sees unlimited potential in the “sleeping giant.” Plans to stick around and really build something at Ames Field.

Sound familiar?

Craig Buzea said all that in 2007 when he stunned Portage by leaving for the downtrodden Wolves. After three years and some significant progress, he left for Homewood-Flossmoor, and the program once again was in tatters.

Eric Schreiber said all that last summer when he took over for Buzea. One season and one win later, he left to take the top job at Hammond High.

Enter Michael Karpinski, Michigan City’s new head coach, who was approved last week by the school board. He’s really excited about the gig. He sees unlimited potential in the “sleeping giant.” He plans to stick around and really build something at Ames Field.

And he means it. Honest.

“I’m excited to add some stability,” he said. “I’m not planning on going anywhere. By no means am I looking at this as a stepping stone. I’m looking to build something here. I understand people have heard that before, but you don’t understand — my wife will kill me if we move again.”

Indeed, Karpinski’s no nomad. He’s no football mercenary. Heck, he only went after this job because he lost his teaching job at Franklin Central during a reduction-in-force that gutted the school district. The 43-year-old spent the last eight years coaching at Franklin Central — a former powerhouse that won four state championships between 1980 and 1990, but has fallen on hard times lately. After six years as an assistant, he was the head coach the past two years, going 7-13 with a pair of close losses in sectional openers.

Before that, Karpinski coached for six years at the University of Indianapolis, where he wound up after playing cornerback at Hillsdale College. Hillsdale is about 90 miles from his hometown of Hastings, Mich., where he was a high school quarterback.

Moving to Michigan City brings him much closer to home — and gives him a teaching job and an exciting opportunity.

“I just feel real blessed to be right here,” he said.

The Wolves can only hope he sticks around and helps the moribund program (no conference or sectional titles since Rogers and Elston were consolidated in 1995) realize the potential it briefly showed under Buzea.

After just four practices, Karpinski has been particularly impressed with the enthusiasm the players have for the game, for him and for his new system.

It’s easy to assume that the Wolves would be jaded and cynical while dealing with yet another new coach making the same old promises.

But Karpinski was thrilled to find that they’re not like that at all.

“I sure haven’t noticed it,” he said. “They sure haven’t shown it if that’s the case. They’ve been working their tails off and have done everything I’ve asked of them. I’ve come in with a lot of enthusiasm, and they seem to have responded.”

Karpinski made a good impression with his first practice. Rather than the usual morning workout, he brought his team to Ames Field — probably the coolest football stadium in the region — under the lights on Monday night. And while it took more than a half hour just to teach the kids how to warm up and break the huddle — “baby steps,” Karpinski said — things quickly came together.

He introduced the players to his offense — a traditional power-I. Not as complicated as Buzea’s multiple-set spread offense, not as one-dimensional as Schreiber’s option.

“It’s basic football,” Karpinski said. “In today’s game, it seems like a lot of coaches try to get too cute. We’re going to come out and run the football, be physical, and we’re really going to stress blocking and tackling — shoot, that’s usually what it comes down to. We’re going to play power football, fire off the ball and really be physical out there.”

Karpinski insisted he’s not daunted by the enormity of the task, trying to wake up the sleeping giant. But he’s got his work cut out for him. The football program always has taken a backseat to basketball. And the relentless losing has made it even tougher to convince kids to come out for the team. Karpinski said he’s ready for all of that.

He also said he’s not intimidated by the meatgrinder that is the Duneland Conference, a brutal schedule that makes rebuilding difficult — and painful. He knows the drill; at Franklin Central, he played state powers Lawrence Central, Pike and Columbus North every year.

“I just know it’s an unbelievable conference, and I’m excited,” Karpinski said. “I’m ready for the challenge.”

Heard that before, too, right? Every coach has said that. But the hard truth is nobody in the 16-year history of Michigan City High School has proven to be up to that challenge. Not for any extended period of time, at least.

Will Karpinski be any different? He sure seems to think so. But, of course, it’s too early for anyone to tell.

He won’t really get a feel for how well his new players can handle his system until they put on the pads in August. And the Wolves won’t really get a feel for Karpinski until they sweat their way through those two-a-days.

But Karpinski feels good about what he has. And while he knows these kids and this community have been burned before, he hopes the feeling is mutual.

“Kids are the same all over,” he said. “I think these kids are really looking for someone to step up and lead and fight for them. And I’m that guy.”
MSFOOTBALL
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jun 27 2011, 08:58 AM) *

I have had the opportunity to meet the coach and I am very impressed. I had a chance to see warm up Monday night at Ames for what the coach calls "Monday night football." Just watching for 15 minutes of the warm up I could see the difference in the kids. They were focused, serious and executing the way they are suppose to under the coaches instructions. They were dressed as a team and looked like a team (no mismatched practice jerseys). I believe he is sincere with everything he has mentioned about his intentions for the program and the kids. I think the kids feel it too, and that is starting to show. I'm predicting that we are going to see this team grow and blossom into something special. So far everyone that has met him, that I know, like him. I think the City football program is in good hands. I hope to see the fans come out for the "Blue and Gray Scrimmage" which is tentatively going to be Friday, August 5th in the evening. It will also be a meet and greet like they did last year. It should be a nice evening for our football families to join together to celebrate the new season. (For those golfers out there don't forget about the golf outing on July 25th at Pott. Country Club). Hope to see everyone come to support our City Wolves and thanks to all those who have---Go Wolves !!!
Southsider2k12
Keep us posted on the scrimmage date!
MSFOOTBALL
[size=3]
I'm not sure who might handle this idea for our local paper but maybe the right person will read this idea. I think it would be nice to start doing a "meet the team" on the sports page. They could introduce all the coaches and the players, plus have their pictures--the community likes pictures they get their attention to read the article. They could use this to build up to the scrimmage in August. We could use some good PR. Plus they will sell more papers because their families will want to see the write ups about them with the pictures. It sounds like a win-win situation to me. GO WOLVES !!!
Southsider2k12
RSN's Duneland preview, with Michigan City highlights here...

http://www.regionsports.com/index.php?opti...&Itemid=216

Michigan City

1st Down: It was only a short two years ago that hope and optimism reigned supreme in Michigan City when Craig Buzea was in charge and the team was on their way to their best season in years. But at the end of the season, a nasty flu virus circulated around the team – key contributors missed games at the end of the season and another first round exit marred what could have been for the Wolves. Plus, to make things worse, Buzea left for Illinois and the glimmer of hope was dimmed.

2nd Down: Following one forgettable year with Eric Schreiber as head coach of the program that saw the Wolves win their opener against Roosevelt and nothing else over the course of the season, Michigan City looks to rebound with new coach Michael Karpinski. A City native, Karpinski is looking to instill some home town pride in his team. He’s got a lot of work to do and history is not on his side. Since consolidation, the Wolves haven’t won a sectional title and have only made on title game appearance and that came in their first year – 1995.

3rd Down: Sectional realignment was not kind for the Wolves as they left the relative mediocrity of Sectional #2 for the meat-grinder that is Sectional #1. While familiarity may help Michigan City as many of the teams they could potentially see in the post-season are also conference foes, there is no doubt that the Wolves are going to need a good draw if they want to even think about advancing.
taxthedeer
Here's the write-up the Wolves received in the 2011 Indiana Football Digest:

http://www.indianafootballdigest.com

Often times a young and inexperienced team has to go through some growing pains before they succed on the field. That is likely the case of the Michigan City Wolves, who were young and inexperienced in 2010 after a winning season the year before. The Wolves won their season opener against Gary Roosevelt, but failed to win another game the rest of the way, struggling to a 1-9 record. But the majority of the starters who were "thrown to the wolves" one may say, are back once again this year, and maybe they learned from their experience and will turn things around in 2011.

After one year with the Wolves, Coach Eric Schrieber departed in May to take over at Hammond. At press time, Michigan City was searching for a new leader.

Eight starters return on offense for the Wolves, including QB Joel Hirsch (6-2, 190). In the backfield, seniors Rasheem Bell and Brian Taylor should both see their share of the carries as the both saw quite a bit of action last season. Hirsch has an experienced corps of receivers to throw to this season for Michigan City as returning senior starters Jordan Callahan and Kyle Neulieb area back at the receiver positions, while Kevin Kreibaum (6-0, 210) returns at tight end for the Wolves as well. The Wolves do lack some experience along the offensive line, however, with only senior Lance Davis returning as a starter at the guard spot. But senior Eric Kintigh (5-10, 235) should be someone to fill in nicely at the other guard position, while seniors Sam Haro (6-0, 300) and Marcus Falls-Foster (6-2, 245) will be counted on to open some holes and protect Hirsch from their tackle spots for Michigan City this season.

Six starters return on defense for the Wolves including Kreighbaum at one of the defensive end positions. Alante Nichols (5-8, 230), who started at tackle as a sophomore last year, returns for his junior season, and will line up next to Kintigh on the defensive line for the Wolves. Senior Giorgio Karallas (6-2, 235) should be the leader of the Wolves' defense this season at the linebacker spot, and will have junior Zach Chappell (5-9, 160) at one of the other linebacker spots once again this season. The secondary will feature all senior starters, including Hirsch and Neulieb who return in the defensive backfield as starters from last years defense, which will need to improve after allowing just over 40 points per game a year ago.

The Wolves can be successful if the can learn from their shortcomings of last year, and set their expectations high, and believe they can achieve them. With a hardworking, close-knit senior class leading the way, it's hard to imagine Michigan City not being much, much better than 1-9 this season.

-----
No Coach at Press Time

Coaching staff
TBA

2011 Schedule

08/19 GARY ROOSEVELT
08/26 SOUTH BEND WASHINGTON
09/02 CHESTERTON
09/09 at Valparaiso
09/16 MERRILLVILLE
09/23 at Lake Central
09/30 PORTAGE
10/07 at La Porte
10/14 at Crown Point

2010 Results

Gary Roosevelt W, 49-0
At South Bend Washington L, 31-7
At Chesterton L, 55-0
Valparaiso L, 49-0
At Merrillville L, 68-14
Lake Central L, 31-0
At Portage L, 40-7
La Porte L, 28-16
Crown Point L, 52-15
SECTIONAL
Goshen L, 49-31

Impact Players

Name HT. WT. CL. POS.

Joel Hirsch 6-2 190 Sr. QB/DB
Rasheem Bell 5-7 160 Sr. RB
Anthony Catchings 5-10 175 Sr. RB
Brian Taylor 5-9 185 Sr. RB
Giorgio Karallas 6-2 225 Sr. RB/LB
Kyle Neulieb 6-0 175 Sr. WR/DB/KR
Jordan Callahan 5-8 170 Sr. WR
Kevin Kreighbaum 6-0 210 Sr. TE/DL
Josh Gondeck 6-3 220 Sr. TE/DL
Lu Wang 5-10 215 Jr. OL
Lance Davis 5-9 190 Sr. OL
Eric Kintgh 5-10 235 Sr. OL/DL
Sam Haro 6-0 300 Sr. OL
Marcus Falls-Foster 6-2 Sr. 245 OL
Alante Nichols 5-8 230 Jr. DL
Ty Martorano 6-0 165 Sr. LB
Zach Chappell 5-9 160 Jr. LB
Troy Rivera 5-7 145 Sr.
Robert Coursel 6-0 165 Sr. DB
Eric Stevenson So. P/K

Newcomers

Ryan Jones 5-10 175 So. RB/DB
Donovan Wilson 6-0 180 So. WR/DL

Key Losses
Dustin Rivich P/K

Tournament History

Sectional: None
Regional: None
Semistate: None
State: None

The IFD Family remembers Dave Parry for his professionalism & commitment to America's great game of Football.

Dave Parry officiated for the NFL 1975-1990 and was the side judge for the 1983 Super Bowl. He went on to officiate in the Big Ten for 19 years and was the first NCAA National Coordinator of Officials.
Jesse B
It is scarey to think where Indiana Football digest gets there information from if there was no coach at the time this article was written? I know they can't get it from The News Dispatch.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 19 2011, 11:01 AM) *

It is scarey to think where Indiana Football digest gets there information from if there was no coach at the time this article was written? I know they can't get it from The News Dispatch.

Indiana Football Digest and the basketball version each gather info for their stories months before the season starts due to publishing deadlines. Therefore, as you can see, info is typically anything but reliable.
taxthedeer

Paul Condry states in his "The Last Word" column on the last page of the book that he begins taking pictures and compiling information on teams for the following season's football digest in the middle of the football season in the North and visits central and southern Indiana schools in the springtime. So most likely the information in that article was ascertained in 2010 from Eric Schreiber while he was still the Wolves Head football coach and those players listed are what Michael Karpinski is going to inherit and are who we are going to see on the field on Friday nights this fall.
Southsider2k12
http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...79352347652.txt

Strong staff crucial at City

By Adam Parkhouse
Home Cookin'
Published: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:43 PM CDT
Surely some of you wondered aloud or muttered to yourself when you saw the N-D make a “big deal” out of Jeff Karras joining the football staff at Michigan City High School.

If it seems like a lot of hoopla over an assistant coach, I suppose I could say that’s a fair statement. But this is a big deal, to me, and a great hire for first-year coach Michael Karpinski and the Wolves.

You see, head coaches get a lot of recognition in sports. They’re the respective heads of their programs and are the ones you turn to when things go wrong and praise when things go right.

But the reality is, many head coaches are only as good as the staffs behind them. Hiring a new coach you’re proud of and surrounding him with folks who aren’t also good at what they do doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Click here to find out more!
Think of it this way: Would you buy a 60-inch flatscreen television and then not order high-definition programming from your cable/satellite provider?

Well, you might. But you wouldn’t be getting the most out of your high-dollar purchase. You want that TV to be all it can be, so you order the HD programming and get the HDMI cables so that your television-watching experiences are at the pinnacle of what they can be.

Well, Karras is part of the HD package that Karpinski and MCHS administrators are installing as part of what they hope is the start of something new and great for City football. It’s necessary, really.

Go back to the Craig Buzea years when the Wolves were constantly making great strides in the right direction. Buzea had a lot to do with that, certainly. It was his plan and his vision for the program that was ultimately executed.

But he had some damn fine executioners to help him. Head coaching experience ran rampant on Buzea’s staff and it showed. The staff that Buzea employed, with guys like Tom Cicero and Bob Mattix and Dave Egofske were wholly important to those Wolves teams.

Guys like Karras and Karpinski’s father, Bill (who has also been brought on board), will similarly be able to help Karpinski do everything he wants to do with the Wolves. Karras comes from a tremendous football background. Heck, his name is synonymous with the sport in Northwest Indiana.

I got to see firsthand what Karras was capable of last year with South Central when he led the program to its first-ever sectional championship. He’s a talented motivator who also knows the X’s and O’s.

If Karpinski succeeds, he’ll certainly own a large portion of that success. But it will also be thanks to the people behind the scenes, working tirelessly and together to execute the overall vision.

So, yeah, this was a big deal for City football. It shows the program is once again headed in the right direction and I’m betting the fruits start to show immediately this fall.

Are you ready for some football? I sure am.

MSFOOTBALL
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jul 20 2011, 09:13 AM) *

Yes, I completely have faith that we are in for some serious football this fall. GO WOLVES !!!
taxthedeer
How was the golf outing and football Hall of Fame ceremony last night?
Southsider2k12
http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...0c139600310.txt

Where did the summer go?

By Drew White
Unwritten No More
Published: Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:51 PM CDT
I can’t help but look at the calendar and ask myself one question.

Where in the heck did summer go?

While Labor Day weekend has traditionally been the official transition from summer to fall, if you haven’t had the chance to stop and enjoy summer, you might want to take an opportunity to do so this week.

While it is too late for all of those high school athletes who all begin practice for fall sports today, with the Great Lakes Grand Prix festivities throughout this week, culminating in Sunday’s races and the final weekend of the Michigan City Golf Tournament at the Michigan City Municipal South Course this coming weekend, all there will be to look forward to after this weekend is football.

Of course, if you are prepared to see the pigskin in action, make sure you take some time to head out to Ames Field on Friday where head coach Michael Karpinski and his Wolves will participate in the Blue-Grey scrimmage.

You can pay a dollar to get in, or better yet, take that dollar and find a sale on canned goods that you can use to gain admission to the event. The football team will be donating those items to the Michigan City Food Pantry.

Of course, the boat race will be the place to be in Michigan City this weekend. Jason Miller and everybody else at the La Porte County Convention and Visitors Bureau has really taken the time to make the Michigan City stop of the Super Boat International schedule into a premier event for the community.

From parades, to the Taste of Michigan City, to the meet and greets, to the race itself, the Grand Prix is a great way for Michigan City to show off what Our Fair City has to offer.

While it’s easy for those of us in the community to sit on the sidelines and watch the visitors come in and enjoy the event, it’s important for us residents to get out and experience the event for ourselves. How are we supposed to be proud of our events if we don’t know what is going on?

While many people are hesitant to embrace Michigan City’s role as a travel destination, tourism is an important source of income and we need to embrace it.

For years we’ve used fishing tournaments such as Skamania Mania to entice visitors to our community, Blue Chip has sponsored professional billiards, and we host youth baseball and softball tournaments at Patriot Park. The boat race has been a great addition.

Quite frankly, we need to have even more events like them.

In order to entice more organizations into bringing their events to Michigan City, we need to collectively work together to make Michigan City all it can be. That involves getting out, showing interest, and having a little bit of civic pride.

It’s time to put on your game face, folks.

Get out and enjoy the summer before it is gone.

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
MSFOOTBALL
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 26 2011, 06:53 PM) *

How was the golf outing and football Hall of Fame ceremony last night?

We had a nice number of golfers that came out to support our team. The ceremony and the dinner was nice as well. It turned out to be a beautiful day for golf and we hope to get even more golfers out next year. All of those who assisted with the day, donated items and gave money donations, or took the day off to play golf and support the team, I would like to say thank you. Everyone's generosity has been greatly appreciated by the coach, the parent group and the football players.
taxthedeer
What time does the Blue-Grey inner-squad scrimmage start on Friday?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 2 2011, 09:23 PM) *

What time does the Blue-Grey inner-squad scrimmage start on Friday?

I talked to Coach today via email, sounds like kickoff will be 7pm, and maybe teh meet and greet at 6pm.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 2 2011, 09:36 PM) *

I talked to Coach today via email, sounds like kickoff will be 7pm, and maybe teh meet and greet at 6pm.

Yes, kickoff is 7 p.m. but the meet-and-greet will take place AFTERWARD. Admission is $1 or a canned good to be donated to the MC Food Pantry.
taxthedeer
Nice article talking about Ryan Isaac at Purdue.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/co...37660aadb6.html

AL HAMNIK: Purdue cashing in on region football pipeline
Story
Discussion
By Al Hamnik Times Columnist | Posted: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:00 pm | No Comments Posted
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

The region plays some mean high school football and while Indiana University seems to have fallen asleep at the recruiting switch, Purdue won't let go.
Coach Danny Hope loves the toughness and commitment our kids bring to his program in West Lafayette and his 2011 roster shows that.
You'll find safety Albert Evans (Portage); 6-foot-3, 320-pound defensive tackle Kawann Short (EC Central); 6-5, 270-pound defensive tackle Ryan Isaac (Michigan City); 6-8, 306-pound offensive tackle Dennis Kelly (Marian Catholic); 6-7, 324-pound guard Connor Snapp (Valparaiso); and 6-4, 305-pound defensive tackle Michael Rouse III (Homewood-Flossmoor).
Listening to Hope speak about each, you feel he'd adopt them all if needed.
"Albert's really important to us as a player on the field. He's a sure tackler. He has a lot of game experience so we expect him to execute his line assignments to a degree of excellence," Hope said.
"He's a real tough guy who can back it up. All the guys we got from the region are tough guys. They represent the region very well."
Hope called Isaac the "surprise signing" of last year's freshman class and he knew why.
"Albert and Ryan had the same high school coach -- Craig Buzea -- and he's a tough guy, too," Hope said. "His players exemplify that."
Isaac recently bench-pressed 460 pounds. For his next trick, he'll rip the New York City phone book in half and tie a crowbar in knots.
"Tough guy. Loves football. He'd cut his right arm off for his coaches or teammates," Hope said.
Short was a beast in high school, particularly under the basket when playing hoops, but always had a teddy bear image in public.
He came to Purdue looking like the Michelin Man but has since "rebuilt" his body, according to Hope.
"Kawann's very, very athletic and changes directions well," Hope said. "He's a very good pass rusher for an inside guy and has the potential to be one of the top defensive tackles in the country.
"He's a better football player going into his junior year than Mike Neal was at that stage."
Only a sophomore, Snapp remains a promising "project" while Kelly is one of the biggest offensive linemen Hope has ever been around as a coach.
"He's one of those guys you'd want to pull in a foxhole with you. If a bar room brawl broke out, you'd want a Dennis Kelly on your side," Hope said.
Buzea also coached Rouse in his first year at H-F.
"I'm a big fan of his and he knows it," Hope said of Buzea. "He was the best thing that happened to Michael, who became a lot more physical player when his intensity level almost doubled."
Hear that, IU and Notre Dame?
There's a pipeline here with Purdue fingerprints all over it.
This column solely represents the writer's opinion. Reach him at al.hamnik@nwi.com

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/co...l#ixzz1U3x2F9Ac
taxthedeer
http://www.midamericabroadcasting.com/file..._Monthly_1_.pdf

The revolving door of head coaches for Michigan City continues as Michael Karpinski takes a shot at turning the program around. Eric Schreiber departed for Hammond High after just one season in which his team failed to win a conference battle and knocked off only Gary Roosevelt in the season opener. Prior to that, Craig Buzea scurried to Illinois after just three years with the Wolves. Karpinski is hoping to finally bring some stability. He also brings a pair of experienced assistant coaches in his father Bill and former Andrean and South Central head coach Jeff Karras.

The Wolves have been a sub-.500 team for 13 of the last 15 seasons, with the squad going 6-4 in the only two victorious years. It seemed as if things were going in the right direction in 2009, but then Michigan City hit rock bottom again in 2010. A sudden return to the top half of the standings is unlikely, however the rebuilding could start this year with the Wolves at least making their games organized and competitive. Sectional realignment will make it even more difficult for Michigan City, as they move to Sectional 1, which includes Valparaiso, Crown Point and Merrillville.
Southsider2k12
Don't forget, Wolves football TONIGHT up at Ames Field! It will be the Blue/Grey intersquad game, followed by a chance to come down onto the field and meet the coaches and players! Kick off is scheduled for 7pm, but expect a rolling clock and the game to move quickly at least in the second half. This is the first of five straight weeks to see City at Ames. The regular season begins in two short weeks!
taxthedeer
I think it will be difficult to tell if the team will be any good until the play their first competitive game against South Bend Washington.
taxthedeer
Does anybody know if the possible state takeover of Gary Roosevelt would force the cancellation on next Friday's football game?

MSFOOTBALL
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 10 2011, 07:11 PM) *

Does anybody know if the possible state takeover of Gary Roosevelt would force the cancellation on next Friday's football game?

Hopefully we will find this out today. I heard some discussion about this possibly happening a few weeks ago but I am asking my sources today. Last year they barely had enough players to play the game out. I really feel for their students who are attempting to have a good high school experience.
Southsider2k12
Tonight is the scrimmage with New Prairie at Ames Field!
taxthedeer
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 12 2011, 07:40 AM) *

Tonight is the scrimmage with New Prairie at Ames Field!
Did you get Beth Pishkur's OK to allow you to be the radio & internet play-by-play voice of the Michigan City Wolves on 1420 AM WIMS and www.wimsradio.com for the 2011-2012 season? biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 12 2011, 10:09 AM) *

Did you get Beth Pishkur's OK to allow you to be the radio & internet play-by-play voice of the Michigan City Wolves on 1420 AM WIMS and www.wimsradio.com for the 2011-2012 season? biggrin.gif

WIMS is dead to me. After they tried to essentially extort $5000 in free advertising out of the athletic department I had no interest in working with them anymore.

As I understand it, the broadcast this year will include no one actually from Michigan City, just like almost all of the rest of the station.

I hope no one else gives them any of their money or time either. That money is just going back to Illinois anyway.
taxthedeer
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 12 2011, 10:41 AM) *

WIMS is dead to me. After they tried to essentially extort $5000 in free advertising out of the athletic department I had no interest in working with them anymore.

As I understand it, the broadcast this year will include no one actually from Michigan City, just like almost all of the rest of the station.

I hope no one else gives them any of their money or time either. That money is just going back to Illinois anyway.

I'm not aware of any kind of extortion or where the advertising profits go or any other type of wrongdoings, at least it's nice that all the boys games are going to be covered live on the radio and online, many school don't have that luxary.
MC Born & Raised
From what I'm told by those who would know, the Roosevelt game is in no imminent danger.
Southsider2k12
Are you ready for some football?

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146834095394867
taxthedeer
Regional Radio Sports Network Kick-off show will be on 95.9 WEFM and rrsn.com from 5:30pm to 9:30pm this evening.
taxthedeer
http://heraldargus.com/articles/2011/08/13...2f381578155.txt

Wolves moving forward under new head coach

By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
1-866-362-2167, Ext. 13869
sports@heraldargus.com
Published: Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:06 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY —With a first-year coach and a program coming off a rough season, the focus for Michigan City football is just improving from week to week.

Those who were in attendance at both last week’s Blue-Grey Scrimmage and Friday’s scrimmage with New Prairie would probably agree that’s the case.

“I think we got better this week,” Karpinski said. “We came here and took care of the ball better and our (No.) 1s did a great job against their (No.) 1s.”

In first-team-on-first-team action, Michigan City held a 7-5 touchdown edge, though official score wasn’t kept.

In the first set of plays (15 snaps from your own 35-yard line) Michigan City scored just once on a 14-yard touchdown run from Rashem Bell. However, that set did end with a pretty, 30-yard pass play that started with a great throw from senior quarterback Joel Hirsch.

“He threw some really good passes,” Karpinski said. “Our offensive line has gotta get better, but I thought he played fantastic.”

On New Prairie’s corresponding set, City’s defense was on lockdown mode against the Cougars’ vaunted option attack. New Prairie had three turnovers on downs and crossed midfield just once.

“They’re a good football team,” Karpinski said of the Cougars. “They’re well-coached and run that option well. It’s tough to stop.”

The next set was 10 plays from your opponent’s 10-yard line, and City did good work on the ground. Freshman Ryan Washington lined up under center during this set, but it was Karpinski’s stable of running backs that stood out.

Bell scored from 6 yards out before James Washington and Ryan Jones scored on back-to-back plays from 10 yards. Two plays later, Jones made it three touchdowns on four plays after a 16-yard score following a sack of Washington.

“There’s no question, those guys can go the distance every time they touch it,” Karpinski said of his running backs. “That makes it easier when it comes to playcalling.”

In the 10 plays, Washington — the younger brother of Rodney Washington, who was City’s QB for the last two years — was “sacked” three times and threw an incomplete pass. Technically, no QB was sacked all night as referees blew the play dead whenever the QB was in danger.

New Prairie also found the end zone frequently in their “goalline” set, scoring three times. Quarterback Cody Carlisle scored on a keeper and also threw a touchdown pass.

The final set for the first team consisted of 12 plays from the opponent’s 35-yard line, and each team found paydirt twice. For City, Scott Kaletha scored from 23 yards out and Hirsch also scored on a QB keeper on the goalline.

“Now we’ll watch film,” Karpinski said. “This will be their first opportunity to see the things we’ve been telling them, and film don’t lie.”

Overall, with next Friday’s season opener at home against Gary Roosevelt looming, Karpinski is happy with where things stand.

“No question, we’re right on schedule,” he said. “We’re nowhere near 100 percent, but we’re maybe at 70 percent of our potential and that’s a credit to these kids.

“I can’t say enough about the kids. They’ve done everything we’ve asked them to do.”
Southsider2k12
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...4a4e060e72.html

Michigan City Wolves

Inside the Wolves

Last season: 1-9

Returning starters: 11 (5 offense, 6 defense)

Returning offensive leader: Giorgio Karallas, Sr., FB. 67 rushes, 314 yards, 2 touchdowns.

Returning defensive leader: Karallas, Sr., LB. 5 tackles, 3 solos, 1 tackle for loss.

Everybody's All-American: Karallas, Sr., LB/FB. A physical specimen with smarts. "He is probably one of the hardest working guys on the team in the weight room," Karpinski said, "plus he has a 3.5 grade-point average."

He's got next: Joel Hirsch, Sr., QB. Ready to assume the role as starting quarterback. "He does have a quick release," Karpinski said. "He's more of a passer, but by no means is he a bad runner."

MARK HOFFMAN CONNECTION

While Michael Karpinski was an assistant coach at the University of Indianapolis, he visited with Mark Hoffman during a few recruiting trips to Valparaiso.

Coaches since 1977: 7 (school opened in 1995).

The Times' breakdown

Bill Karpinski, Michael's father, was the head coach at Elston in the late '60s. "A little pressure is a good thing," Michael Karpinski said. "I know what my dad has accomplished, and it will be awfully difficult to live up to it. I'm just going to do things to the best of my ability and things should work out." A key to success will be the development of quarterback Joel Hirsch. Giorgio Karallas could play a huge role on both sides of the ball for the Wolves. "We're striving to bring back Michigan City football to where it belongs," Karpinski said. "There's no lack of talent here." !~ Jim Hunsley

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...l#ixzz1VV1WzrP3
taxthedeer
Duneland conference raised their ticket prices to $6.00, probably be the same for boys and girls basketball this winter as well.

Football and boys and girls basketball are $6.00 this season. Next season all sports are $6.00.
taxthedeer
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/stats/2a8f6...tml?mode=roster

Coach: Michael Karpinski, 0-0 at Michigan City and 7-13 overall.
No.;Name;Ht.;Wt.;Yr.;Pos.
1;Erik Stevenson;6-0165;So.;K
2;Caleb Kalvaitis;6-0;170;So.;WR/DB
3;Ryan Washington;5-11;179;Fr.;QB/DB
4;Marcus Horton;5-6;140;So.;RB
5;Joel Hirsch;6-2;185;Sr.;QB
6;Anthony Lemon;5-11;170;So.;QB/DB
7;Eric Yarbourgh;6-2;190;Sr.;WR
8;Erik Rose;6-0;185;Jr.;LB
9;Charles E. Sanders;5-8;205;Jr.;LB
10;Eric Karpinski;5-7;135;So.;QB
11;Troy Rivera;5-6;160;Sr.;DB
12;Scott Kaletha;5-11;155;So.;WR/DB
14;Michael Oberholtzer;5-10;147;So.;DB/WR
15;Marquis Martin;5-9;151;Jr.;WR/DB
16;Gordon Terry;5-10;143;So.;DB/WR
18;Trent Ormsby;6-3;205;Sr.;DL/OL
19;Charles L. Sanders;5-10;173;Sr.;DB/WR
20;Ty Martorano;6-0;175;Sr.;LB/TE
21;Marcellus Willis;5-9;150;Sr.;DB
22;Andrew Ray;6-0;185;Jr.;DB
23;Ryan Jones II;5-8;160;So.;RB/DB
24;Rashem Bell;5-7;160;Sr.;RB
25;Anthony Catchings;5-11;168;Sr.;LB/RB
26;James Washington;5-8;200;Fr.;FB/LB
28;Giorgio Karallas;6-2;225;Sr.;LB/FB
29;Austin Strelinski;5-6;140;So.;DB
30;Kevin Kreighbaum;5-11;215;Sr.;LB
32;Jordan Callahan;5-9;168;Sr.;DB/WR
33;Cameron McFarrin;5-6;145;Jr.;RB/DB;Jr.
34;Brian Taylor;5-8;180;Sr.;FB/LB
35;Jalen Lewis;5-9;176;Sr.;LB
36;Jacob Hauskins;6-0165;Jr.;DB/WR
37;David Medina;5-10;150;So.;DB/WR
38;Jonah Stromer;5-10;186;So.;DL
39;Matthew Beres;5-9;215;Jr.;K
42;Mario Ward II;5-8;200;So.;FB/LB
43;Christian Mansfield;5-11;180;Jr.;RB
44;Java Oliver;6-2;226;So.;DL/TE
45;Joe Fox;5-9;195;Jr.;LB
46;Tyrell Robinson;5-8;208;Jr.;FB/LB
47;Zak Chappell;5-9;165;Jr.;LB
48;Dallas Thacker;5-9;134;So.;WR/DB
49;Tyler Wilson;5-9;177;Jr.;DL
50;Scott Paul;6-0;181;So.;OL/DL
51;Jacob Kubath;6-0;220;So.;OL/DL
52;Chris Mallon;5-9;206;Jr.;DL
54;Kyle Heider;5-11;193;So.;LB/OL
55;Zack Baize;5-7;168;Jr.;LB
56;Cody Parker;6-2;182;Jr.;DL
57;Dylan Bogart;6-2;180;So.;OL/DL
58;Montel Edwards;5-10;215;Jr.;OL/DL
59;Kyle Bendix;5-10;205;Sr.;DL
60;Wang Lu;5-0;223;Jr.;OL/DL
61;Joshua Nowatzke;5-11;165;So.;OL/LB
62;Darian Webb;6-2;251;Sr.;DL/OL
63;Cameron Autry;6-2;235;Jr.;OL
64;Daniel Lemon;6-1;220;Jr.;DL/OL
65;Travis Foster;5-11;245;Sr.;OL
66;Xavier Stamper;6-0;266;Jr.;OL
67;Alex Jones;6-2;240;Jr.;OL
68;Alante Nichols;5-7;240;Jr.;OL/DL
69;Josh McCoy;6-2;260;So.;OL/DL
70;Justin Lewis;6-1;260;So.;OL/DL
71;X Coan;6-0;236;So.;DL/OL
72;Michael Warren;5-11;290;So.;DL
73;Paul Jackson;6-6;281;Sr.;DL
74;Eric Kintigh;5-10;230;Sr.;OL/DL
75;Chris Hartsburg;5-4;265;So.;DL/OL
76;Dustin Fanson;6-5;305;Sr.;DL/OL
77;Marcus Falls-Foster;6-3;250;Sr.;OL/DL
78;Samual Haro;5-11;295;Sr.;OL
79;Alex DeSantiago;6-0;235;So.;OL/DL
80;Donovan Wilson;6-2;185;So.;WR/DB
81;Aaron Fowler;5-7;163;Sr.;DB
82;Kyle Oberholtzer;5-10;185;Sr.;WR.DB
83;Kyle Neulieb;5-11;175;Sr.;WR/DB
85;Skyler Lewis;6-0;256;Sr.;OL/DL
87;Marqus Swartzlander;6-1;218;Sr.;TE/DE
88;Josh Gondeck;6-3;210;Sr.;TE/DE
89;Joseph Kosakowski;6-3;196;Jr.;TE/DE
91;Michael Simmons;5-10;300;Jr.;DL
taxthedeer
http://www.alco.org/index.php/videos/159-s...udio-production

I really enjoyed listening to Michael Gresham and Don Varda doing the call on the ALCO tele/web cast.
Southsider2k12
http://www.nwitimes.com/conferences/dunela...3387d19498.html

Joel Hirsch isn't anxious to take over his new starting role at Michigan City.

"That's not the word," Hirsch said. "I'm super anxious. I've went to sleep every night (anxious) about getting the chance to be the starting quarterback."

Hirsch has played football for nine years. After playing right guard on his Pop Warner squad his initial season, he's been behind center ever since.

In high school, his spot has been behind the starter. In a few games last season, he was 7-of-27 passing for 56 yards. He also rushed for 102 yards and a touchdown.

"I don't even know what I'll be thinking about after that first snap," said Hirsch, who also split time at defensive back last season. "It's going to be an adrenaline rush."

First-year head coach Michael Karpinski has confidence in his signal caller.

"He shows great leadership skills," Karpinski said. "The other players will respond to him. There's no doubt he'll be the leader on the field."

Hirsch will also be directing a different offense this season. Last year, the team ran wishbone and triple-option set. This year, things will be spread out.

"It's more of pro-style offense with three-receiver sets," said Hirsch, who will focus on offense this year. "I didn't get a chance to throw a lot before. I'll use a three- or five-step drop. I'm more powerful. I'm using my legs, and I'm not just throwing with my arm."

Hirsch has grown up playing members of his receving corps. He began football with Troy Rivera, teamed up with Kyle Nuelieb the next year .

"(Games) should feel like pitch-and-catch in the back yard," Hirsch said. "That should help me relax and throw."

Hirsch is ready for the first game to start.

"I just try to take everything serious this season," he said. "I've always had pressure on me, and that's why I love to be in this position."

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/conferences/dunela...l#ixzz1Vm76HAYW
Southsider2k12
http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...96451282201.txt

Time to lift some spirits

By Adam Parkhouse
Home Cookin'
Published: Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:43 PM CDT
I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!”

The great Al Franken famously uttered that line through his Saturday Night Live character, Stuart Smalley. Yes, the same Al Franken who’s now a U.S. Senator from Minnesota. What a world.

That line popped into my head Friday night after Michigan City’s Blue-Grey Scrimmage at Ames Field.

That’s because Michael Karpinski, the fourth City football coach I’ve covered in my time at the N-D, uttered almost verbatim the same words the previous three did early in their MC tenures.

“When we’re high, we’re high. But when we’re low, we stay low for a period of time,” Karpinski said.

It caught my ear as soon as the first-year coach started the second part of that quote. I’d heard similar words before from Bob Holmes, Craig Buzea and Eric Schreiber.

They all talked early on about how, for whatever reason, many of the kids at Michigan City have a hard time recovering from negative plays, criticism or other transgressions that are typical in football, or even in life.

My question is, why is that? What is it about kids at Michigan City that would make four coaches completely independent of one another say almost the exact same thing as one of their first impressions of kids in their program?

Honestly, it makes me sad to think about the idea that kids in our community are so fragile emotionally where they can get and stay down so easily.

Some could be growing up in difficult situations and, without delving into any armchair psychology, that can certainly be a factor.

Also, the losing ways of the program can feed into negativity. Obviously, 2010 was a difficult season. The team went 1-9 and, after beating Gary Roosevelt in Week 1, the Wolves were never really close to another win.

I can’t imagine that’s easy to go through and that when anything happens on the practice field that reminds you of that kind of nightmare, it could be easy to shut down.

So, with that in mind, know that, as fans, you can help change this. Attend games, show the kids you care. Support them in any and every way you can.

Using the “it takes a village” mantra, we’re all kind of responsible for how the youth in our community come up. That means the future of our community is in all of our hands.

On Thursday, Aug. 11, the N-D will put print a special section dedicated to Charlie Westcott, a man who had a profound impact on the youth through his work at the Elite Youth Center.

He had an enormous impact on young people and nearly all of them grew up to have a profound impact on the community in which they live. To a man, they would all tell you they owe it to Westcott.

My point is, you can have an impact, be it small or large. We can all get involved and help steer the ship for those who need it the most.

Just once, I’d love to hear a coach talk about how his players just brim with confidence and have a generally positive outlook.

That’s the way it should be. Michigan City kids are good enough. They’re smart enough. And, doggone it, people do like them.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
Southsider2k12
http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...ff992441604.txt

No debate here: Hirsch is the man

By Adam Parkhouse
Home Cookin'
Published: Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:59 PM CDT
One intra-squad night and another scrimmage against New Prairie are in the books. So what do we know about the 2011 Michigan City Wolves football team?

As always at this point in the season, not a whole lot. Until real competition starts, it’s tough to gauge a team.

But one thing is for sure: Unlike a year ago, there is no quarterback controversy for these Wolves.

Senior Joel Hirsch is the man and the stability of knowing the job is his has to be reassuring.

Friday we got a brief look at the future in freshman Ryan Washington, the younger brother of Rodney Washington, who was under center for the last two years.

But last season, there was some indecision as to whether Hirsch or Rodney would be the guy. Hirsch fit the offense better at the time but Rodney probably had the edge in physical ability.

And because two-QB systems rarely work, the results were predictable.

So far, perhaps my favorite thing about the Karpinski era is that players seem to have clearly defined roles. Karpinski said against New Prairie there was hardly any two-way play in the first half of the scrimmage.

While on the official roster you might see FB/LB or OL/DL under the position column by most players, it seems guys are pretty much focusing on playing one position.

Ideally, that’s the way you’d like to have it. We’ll see how that sticks together through the season, but having players more fresh throughout the game can only be a good thing.

Back to Hirsch, I’m excited to see the kid get a full-time shot. He’s certainly earned it. He has decent size at 6-2 and 185 pounds and displayed above average arm strength on many throws Friday.

Perhaps the best thing Hirsch has going for him, though, is between the ears. He strikes me as a bright kid who thinks through the game well.

Karpinski seems to agree and told assembled media that he even let Hirsch call his own play against the Cougars.

But just from talking to Hirsch and watching him on the field, you get the feeling that he’s a good leader and that he has the respect of his teammates.

In a quarterback, that’s obviously of vital importance.

Look, I’m not trying to convince you that the Wolves are going to contend for the Duneland Conference title or are going to win state, but at this early juncture, I see some things to be happy with.

(Shameless plug: For my official prediction, check out The News-Dispatch 2011 Football Preview on Aug. 18.)

Before the first game is played, truthfully, that’s all you can ask for. It’s enough to make me excited about football again, less than a year after a season I’d just as soon like to forget.
Southsider2k12
I know the scoreboard doesn't show it, but City played a great game against SB Washington tonight. That WR is going to be a special one.
taxthedeer
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 26 2011, 10:33 PM) *

I know the scoreboard doesn't show it, but City played a great game against SB Washington tonight. That WR is going to be a special one.
First, I was really sorry to learn about the passing of former Elston football coach Vic Overman.

Gehrig Dieter put on a clinic tonight, 343 yards on 11 receptions, 3 td's . Probably the best wide receiver I've seen in high school since Jeff Samardzija.

The hail mary before the half, (the play prior a Michigan City defender dropped what should have been an interception) and the go ahead broken play in the backfield touchdown on Washington's initial second half drive really was a big blow to the Wolves.

I thought sophomores Donovan Wilson and Scotty Kaletha played exceptionally well for the Wolves. In the fourth quarter Kaletha took a bone crushing hit when going for a pass up the middle but showed tremendous heart by shaking it off and was going back to the huddle before the coaches pulled him off the field.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 26 2011, 11:55 PM) *

First, I was really sorry to learn about the passing of former Elston football coach Vic Overman.

Gehrig Dieter put on a clinic tonight, 343 yards on 11 receptions, 3 td's . Probably the best wide receiver I've seen in high school since Jeff Samardzija.

The hail mary before the half, (the play prior a Michigan City defender dropped what should have been an interception) and the go ahead broken play in the backfield touchdown on Washington's initial second half drive really was a big blow to the Wolves.

I thought sophomores Donovan Wilson and Scotty Kaletha played exceptionally well for the Wolves. In the fourth quarter Kaletha took a bone crushing hit when going for a pass up the middle but showed tremendous heart by shaking it off and was going back to the huddle before the coaches pulled him off the field.

Yeah, Karpinski actually said Kaletha coming off had nothing to do with the hit, either. It was just a different package Kaletha isn't a part of. Tough kid.
Southsider2k12
Merrillville and Valpo are 0-2 to start the season. I know they have played some big time teams, but they have also gotten their tails kicked in those games. Could the tides of the DAC be changing?
taxthedeer
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 28 2011, 10:22 AM) *

Merrillville and Valpo are 0-2 to start the season. I know they have played some big time teams, but they have also gotten their tails kicked in those games. Could the tides of the DAC be changing?
Yes they are, this season is going to be a total bust as far as the Duneland conference is concerned, other than Laporte narrowly escaping South Bend Clay 35-28 the Duneland conference lost to everyone of it's out of area non-conference opponents.

taxthedeer
I was studying the roster, They have a kid listed by the name of X Coan #71 DL/OL 5'11 236LB sophomore. I would like to know the story of why his parents named him X?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 27 2011, 12:55 AM) *

The crazy thing is that I think the best sophomore on the team is Java Oliver. Too bad he is going to be missing the next game, because has been a force in the first two weeks.
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...7a348987371.txt

Tough loss, but did you see that kid?

By Adam Parkhouse
Home Cookin'
Published: Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:31 AM CDT
I have a deep appreciation for greatness and watching athletes and teams accomplish great things.

I appreciate the hard work that goes into such feats and the raw, natural ability that gets honed into a finely-tuned athletic machine that wows us as sports fans.

With that in mind, I have a confession: I’m equal parts disappointed and elated about Michigan City football’s loss Friday to South Bend Washington.

I’m disappointed because the Wolves lost a game that, with 8.2 seconds to play in the second quarter, they had a terrific opportunity to win, which was not my expectation heading into the game.

But I’m also elated that I got a chance to witness greatness Friday night. Washington receiver Gehrig Dieter, named for the Yankee Clipper himself, is great. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anyone play that position better than he played it Friday, and it wasn’t even his best performance in a two-game season.

In Week 1 against Bloomington North, Dieter caught eight passes for 373 yards and five touchdowns. He followed that up against Michigan City with 11 receptions for a paltry 346 yards and three touchdowns. Off night.

I mean, come on, Gehrig. Only 31.5 yards per catch? Child’s play.

Mostly, I think there’s a good chance we might some day watch this kid play on Sundays. Obviously, a lot has to happen before he gets to that point, but the 6-3, 210-pounder has just about everything you’d want in a receiver.

He’s big, strong, fast and has terrific hands. And for anyone else in attendance Friday, you can also say five years or more from now when lounging on the couch on a Sunday afternoon, “Hey, I remember that kid!”

Please, please don’t get me wrong, City fans. My stomach churned as yours did when Washington erased City’s lead and pulled away in the second half. I’m far from happy the Wolves lost.

But you know what? Sometimes you just tip your cap to the guy or team on the other side and move on to the next game.

After all, what I wanted to see from this game I saw in the first half. I wanted the Wolves to compete, to show the fire that seemed so lacking in 2010.

They delivered on that. With 8.2 seconds left in the first half, City held an eight-point lead. But, a long touchdown pass to maybe the best offensive player in the state started a downward slide coach Michael Karpinski’s crew couldn’t recover from.

Make no mistake though, Friday was a step forward for the Wolves. They played hard and they mostly played well. They’ll continue to improve and continue to compete, and that’s all anyone can ask.

On this night, they ran into a buzzsaw named Dieter. Many others will fall victim this season.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
Southsider2k12
http://heraldargus.com/articles/2011/08/27...f8133559223.txt

Washington receiver goes off again in win over City

By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
1-866-362-2167, Ext. 13869
sports@heraldargus.com
Published: Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:06 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — For video game enthusiasts, Madden NFL 12 doesn’t come out until next week.

Fans of the legendary football franchise got a good sneak preview Friday at Ames Field, though.

South Bend Washington receiver Gehrig Dieter put up numbers that would make gamers drool just one week after setting a state record for receiving yards. He didn’t reset the record, but didn’t miss by much, catching 11 balls for 346 yards and three touchdowns and nearly single-handedly led a comeback charge against Michigan City in a 40-21 loss for the Wolves.

Dieter accounted for all but 153 of Washington’s 499 yards of total offense. Notre Dame recruit David Perkins took care of most of the rest, picking up 126 yards on 15 carries and two more touchdowns, including another video game-like play in which Perkins broke several City tackles on his way to a 38-yard touchdown.

All this, though, after City looked to be in control of the game nearing halftime. Despite Dieter’s efforts, City led 21-13 with 8.2 seconds left before halftime.

To get to that point, the Wolves were both opportunistic and good on both sides of the ball.

On the second play of the game, Dieter hauled in a 50-yard touchdown pass from Daigien Morgan, but City answered later in the first quarter when Marcellus Willis recovered a Washington fumble in the end zone for a touchdown.

The Panthers returned the favor a few minutes later when Perkins coughed it up at the goalline and Jeremiah Johnson recovered just inches before it rolled through the back of the end zone for a touchback. Instead, it was a touchdown and the Panthers led 13-7 heading into the second quarter.

City quarterback Joel Hirsch led a long, time-consuming drive following Johnson’s score, finally hooking up with Eric Yarbrough with 5:45 to play for a 15-yard touchdown.

On Washington’s first play of the next series, Morgan was intercepted by Giorgio Karallas. Several plays later, Hirsch found paydirt from 2 yards out to give the Wolves a 21-13 lead with just 40 seconds to play.

After a few plays — and a dropped City interception — Washington didn’t appear close to scoring. But, with 8.2 seconds left, Morgan found Dieter streaking up the right sideline in single coverage, and the 6-2, 210-pounder did the rest, taking the ball 71 yards to the house, making for a 21-19 halftime score.
Southsider2k12
http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...92306419074.txt

Does Karpinski hold the key?

By Drew White
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:39 AM CDT
The scores just kind of stick out like a sore thumb.

Warren Central 64, Merrillville 13.

Carmel 49, Valparaiso 0.

In the past two weeks, the two schools that represent the last two Duneland Conference championships – Merrillville in 2009 and Valpo in 2010 – have challenged two of the best schools that Central Indiana has to offer and both DAC schools have been, to put it lightly, thoroughly decimated.

Warren Central and Carmel obviously know how to play football well. Warren Central has won the IHSAA Class 5A state title five times in the past decade and Carmel has reached the Class 5A title game four times in the past ten years, winning in 2007.

Seeing scores of 63-13 and 49-0, with the top two teams in the DAC representing the 13 and the goose egg, the casual football fan would ask – What is it that makes Warren Central and Carmel that much better than the Pirates and the Vikings?

Perhaps Indianapolis-based pharmaceutical giant Eli Lilly is putting something in the water down there that makes football players bigger, faster, and stronger than the players in The Region?

Honestly, I don’t have an answer, but I’m kind of hoping that someone in Michigan City might ultimately hold the solution to the puzzle.

When Michael Karpinski was named head coach of the Wolves over the summer, the Michigan City football skeptics were quick to jump to conclusions regarding the new leader of the pack.

Doing the preliminary research on Karpinski, we learned about his connection to the Michigan City community – he is the son of former Elston High School head coach and original Rogers High School football head coach Bill Karpinski.

His most recent position, as head coach of the Franklin Central football team, was preceded by time as an assistant coach at the University of Indianapolis.

Michael Karpinski had been RIFed (teacher-speak for laid off) and he was initially told that his time as the gridiron leader at Franklin Central was over. Ultimately, it turns out he had an opportunity to return as head coach of the Flashes, but he has made it known that he chose Michigan City over Franklin Central.

One of my initial thoughts had to do with why Karpinski, who was already firmly entrenched by more than a decade of living in Indiana’s state capital, would choose to take over a City program located in the northwest part of the state.

I looked at his record in two years at Franklin Central and was under whelmed by his 7-13 mark.

But the more I thought about it, the more I told myself that the Wolves had gotten the right guy.

Why?

If you are looking to improve a program, wouldn’t you like to have a guy with head coaching experience in the area of the state that has clearly established dominance?

While some will ask Karpinski why he came north, I think we as Wolves fans would be remiss if we didn’t count our blessings that he was willing to come to Michigan City, a community he called home at an age too young to remember much about it besides a hill and railroad tracks located close to the former Karpinski homestead.

When you look at how teams from the Duneland have performed in recent years when pitted against schools from the Indianapolis area, I think it is safe to argue that 7-13 in Central Indiana might just equate to 11-9 or 12-8 in the DAC.

Look back just two years and you’ll find that Karpinski’s inaugural season included a sectional nailbiter in which his Flashes lost by only one point to the eventual state champion – Warren Central.

Whether Karpinski had superior athletes at Franklin Central to those he now coaches, only he could tell you. From what he has told me, he likes the hand he’s been dealt with the Wolves.

To leave the Indianapolis area and a head coaching position in the land of Class 5A state champions, there has to be something more to it. Karpinski wants to be in Michigan City.

While the Wolves still need to figure out a way of contending in the DAC, I don’t think it hurts to have someone experienced in battling the Warren Centrals of the state.

Maybe Karpinski can show Michigan City and the rest of the Duneland Conference what needs to be done to win state titles.

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
taxthedeer
I was driving along Franklin St. earlier this morning and Michigan City Signs were erecting the football player image banners on the utility poles, they look really nice.
Southsider2k12
http://www.chestertontribune.com/Sports/ch...c_play_frid.htm

By TR HARLAN

It might be wishful thinking to make the leap that again.

The Chesterton football team did a complete 180 last Friday night in a dominating 28-0 victory over Munster. The Trojans allowed just 72 yards of total offense, one week after giving up more than 500 yards in a 30-28 loss at South Bend St. Joe.

Coach John Snyder’s team will look to make the same showing as they open Duneland Athletic Conference play on Friday night at Michigan City. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

The Trojans dominant defense returned to form with the reinsertion of Julian Raudry and Dana Konchar at linebacker against the Mustangs.

“Defensively we obviously had a big change,” Snyder said. “It’s hard to believe that two guys can make that big a difference. But, it was almost like having six or seven new guys because people got to move back to their normal positions.

“If we can keep playing like we did on defense, we’ve got a chance to be pretty decent.”

No one was more surprised to see the defense turn around so quickly, though surprised may be the wrong word, than Snyder.

“I really didn’t see that coming because it’s hard to gauge during the week at practice,” Snyder said. “You never know if you’re playing that well or if your offense isn’t playing well or how that all works.”

On offense, the Trojans were able to throw the football in the first half and open some holes for the running game after halftime.

“Munster was a little better on the edge than I thought they’d be and they played a little different than we thought they would,” Snyder said. “We made some bad reads early and that got us out of sync. If you’re going to stop the run, you have to give up something in the passing game. The ability to hit some of those was huge for us.

“We did a better job of moving (quarterback) Chris (Katsafaros) around and not keeping him in a straight dropback in the pocket. Moving him around played to his strength.”

Chesterton also took advantage of its special teams much better in week two.

“We played much better in special teams with the big punt return to start the scoring and all the field positions we were able to get,” Snyder said. “Kyle kicking the ball into the end zone consistently is honestly what I expect him to do. Give a team 80 yards to score and more time’s than not you think you’ll get stops.

“We are 0-for-3 on field goals and Kyle’s good enough to hit the ones we’re attempting. We’ve had one blocked, one come up short and one pulled. It’s time to start getting those points on the board.”

Michigan City’s revolving door at head coach continues this season and that proves to be a problem for Snyder and the Trojans.

“Michigan City has kind of been a new team each year,” Snyder said. “They do return several starters on both sides of the ball. They are big and physical and very athletic. That concerns me.”

Offensively, the Wolves will test the young Chesterton secondary and try to run the ball up the middle.

“Offensively, they aren’t doing a lot of things,” Snyder said. “They are just doing what they think they can right now. They have two running backs that run extremely hard and I’m worried about the way they throw the ball. They are a trap, inside running type of team.

“The quarterback has a quick release and they’ve had some success throwing the ball. Them throwing the ball concerns me the most.”

Defensively, the Wolves will present a front seven and defensive philosophy the Trojans haven’t seen through the first two weeks of the season.

“Defensively, they do some things differently than we’ve seen the last couple of weeks,” Snyder said. “We’re going to have to do some things differently on offense. We’ll run some things that they haven’t seen on film because of the way they line up.

“We just have to be physical up front. If we can get into their linebackers, we’ve got a chance to be pretty successful.”

Posted 9/1/2011
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.