http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...1b372630588.txt

Police chief recognizes seven officers

Pictured are officers Kelly Williams (front row, from left), Anna Painter and Ken Eguia. The back row is officers Matthew Cottrill (from left), Shawn Hutchinson and Kay Pliske and Detective Cpl. Anthony McClintock. Photo by Tim Moran
Diffusing tense situations is focus of praise
By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, July 22, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Two were brave enough to put their lives on the line to save another’s. Five others acted swiftly enough to apprehend a bank robber within five minutes.

Business as usual for the Michigan City Police Department ... or maybe just their highlights from June.

Seven of the department’s 91 law-enforcement officers received awards Thursday night at a special Police Civil Service Commission meeting at City Hall for a pair of June incidents in which police were instrumental in diffusing tense situations.

Minutes after a Gary man robbed First Source Bank, 3901 Franklin St., on June 2, off-duty Detective Cpl. Anthony McClintock was in the area of the Marquette Mall parking lot when he spotted the suspect running toward his vehicle near Applebee’s.

Seconds later, officers Shawn Hutchinson and Kelly Williams quickly arrived, and Hutchinson apprehended the man at gunpoint as he attempted to enter his vehicle. Officers Anna Pointer and Kay Pliske also arrived, assisting with the arrest.

“I cannot think of a more concentrated team effort than what occurred on that day,” Police Chief Mark Swistek said. “I remember being in my office when I got the call on the bank robbery, and then within five minutes I heard they had the suspect in custody.”

Each of the five MCPD members who played a part in the quick bank heist arrest was awarded an Exceptional Service Award.

In the early morning hours of June 20, officers Kenneth Eguia and Matthew Cottrill responded to a report than a woman was threatening to commit suicide at the water’s edge of Washington Park.

“Upon arriving at the pier, Officer Eguia had observed the female sitting along the edge of the concrete pier,” Swistek told a crowd of 30 to 40 present to support the law enforcement efforts.

The distraught woman then attempted to jump off the pier on a dangerously wavy morning when Eguia and the woman’s mother grabbed enough of her shirt to pull her up and drag her to safety.

“The actions of those officers no doubt prevented the female from taking her own life that morning,” Swistek said.

For their part in the life-saving effort, Eguia and Cottrill received a Life Saving Award.