Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pottawatomie Park man hijacked Eastern Airline Jet to Cuba in 1969
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City at rest
taxthedeer
It's really amazing the things that you what you will find about local history if you dig deep enough.

A 22-year-old Pottawattomie Park man was sentenced to a 20-year term in prison in 1970 after hijacking an Eastern Airlines plane from Miami to Cuba on January 9, 1969.

http://ftp.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/47...2-1868.645.html

In January 1969, Ronald Thomas Bohle, a young man of 22, hijacked an Eastern Airlines plane then enroute from Miami, Florida to Nassau, Bahamas and diverted it to Cuba. It is not clear from the record what transpired after that, but Bohle was eventually apprehended in November 1969 when entering the United States (in the Northern District of New York) from Canada. Despite a defense of insanity, Bohle was convicted after a jury trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, the state of his residence, for the crime of aircraft piracy, 49 U.S.C. Sec. 1472(i). However, the conviction was reversed by the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit because of various errors in the conduct of the trial, 445 F.2d 54 (1971), and the case was remanded for a new trial. The Government apparently then concluded that venue might be more appropriate in the Northern District of New York under 49 U.S.C. Sec. 1473(a), see 445 F.2d at 58-60, and a second jury trial was held in that district before Lloyd F. MacMahon, J., sitting by designation. Bohle was again convicted, and received a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years imprisonment.
Jane Nan
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 18 2011, 06:36 PM) *

It's really amazing the things that you what you will find about local history if you dig deep enough.

A 22-year-old Pottawattomie Park man was sentenced to a 20-year term in prison in 1970 after hijacking an Eastern Airlines plane from Miami to Cuba on January 9, 1969.

http://ftp.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/47...2-1868.645.html

I have what may be a marginally amusing story related to this. The following incident happened sometime after the events of this news article. I never knew this man, but in junior high or high school, I was friends with his sister.

One night, her dad was driving a huge bunch of us girls to Ames Field for a football game. No exaggeration, there were at least 10 of us in the car. This was, of course, before seat belt laws and whatnot. I was on the bottom row in the middle in the back seat and there were girls on top of me, on either side of me, in front of me. I couldn't see a thing, plus it was really foggy. So, her dad's driving and someone said, "Where are we going? I can't see!" I said, "oh, no - we're being hijacked!" Well, I got about 18 elbows in my side and head. We rode in stunned silence the rest of the way to the game. blink.gif

I didn't mean to reference what had happened. I just have always had a real gift for inappropriate comments at inappropriate times. lol ohmy.gif
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(Jane Nan @ Aug 18 2011, 05:23 PM) *

I have what may be a marginally amusing story related to this. The following incident happened sometime after the events of this news article. I never knew this man, but in junior high or high school, I was friends with his sister.

One night, her dad was driving a huge bunch of us girls to Ames Field for a football game. No exaggeration, there were at least 10 of us in the car. This was, of course, before seat belt laws and whatnot. I was on the bottom row in the middle in the back seat and there were girls on top of me, on either side of me, in front of me. I couldn't see a thing, plus it was really foggy. So, her dad's driving and someone said, "Where are we going? I can't see!" I said, "oh, no - we're being hijacked!" Well, I got about 18 elbows in my side and head. We rode in stunned silence the rest of the way to the game. blink.gif

I didn't mean to reference what had happened. I just have always had a real gift for inappropriate comments at inappropriate times. lol ohmy.gif

Open mouth, insert foot. laugh.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Aug 18 2011, 08:08 PM) *

Or in this case, about 18 feet smile.gif
Jane Nan
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 18 2011, 09:37 PM) *

Or in this case, about 18 feet smile.gif

lol. tongue.gif

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Aug 18 2011, 09:08 PM) *

oh, yes, I have a gift. hahah tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.