Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did you know? MC History
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Southsider2k12
Something I just learned the other day.

Michigan City had the first Shi'i mosque in the United States. It was opened in 1924, and was originally located at Second Street just west of Franklin and was there until the early 70s when they bought the old FOP hall on Brown Road off US20 and renamed it the Islamic Center of Michigan City.
xiaomaizi85
I have been looking for this topic for a long time, thank you so much
Southsider2k12
IPB Image
MCRogers1974
I always wondered what was directly across the street from the South Shore station. A Pure Oil gas station, interesting.
Southsider2k12
I know it is a dream, but I wish there was a way that old train station could be restored into a South Shore Museum. Maybe if they figured out a way to include some sort of a train shop in there, it would be viable?
taxthedeer
Found this photo of the 1912 Michigan City Elston Football team on the N-D site:

http://thenewsdispatch.com/shared-content/...&mediaid=53

Click to view attachment

Amazing how we went from 11 to 120 kids in the program in 100 years. Did they have a good O-line back then?

Not much platooning went on in those days I would imagine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.