Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 City Wolves sign to play college football
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
Southsider2k12
Congrats and best of luck boys!

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...4b905002382.txt

Three Wolves sign to play college football

By Drew White
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:03 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Three Michigan City football players signed National Letters of Intent to play college football this coming fall.

Senior Giorgio Karallas is headed for St. Joseph’s College in Rensselaer while Trent Ormsby and Josh Gondeck will both attend Marian University in Indianapolis.

Karallas is an Indiana Football Coaches Association Class 5A All-State linebacker who garnered looks from a handful of Division I programs but ultimately decided that St. Joe was best for him. He collected 106 tackles and five sacks this past season.

“I think St. Joe is feeling pretty darn good about getting Giorgio,” City head coach Michael Karpinski said. “They got a hell of a football player. I think he’s going to be able to make an impact right away. To me, St. Joe hit the lotto.

“He wanted to be able to play right away. He made his decision for all the right reasons.”

The Pumas just completed a 2-8 under first-year head coach Cory Sanders. Karallas is excited about the opportunity to help St. Joseph’s get stronger.

“It’s going to be a building process that will take a couple of years,” Karallas said. “They are going to get where they want to be and I’m going to be a part of it.”

Ormsby and Gondeck will be joining a Marian program that went 12-1 last fall, its only loss coming in the NAIA FCS Semifinals when the Knights lost to St. Xavier 30-27.

“I think Trent is possibly going to have an opportunity to step on the field right away as a long snapper,” Karpinski said. “There’s a lot of upside to Josh. He’s fast, he’s physical, and he’s strong. He’s going to get better.”

Marian’s head coach is Ted Karras, Jr., the brother of City assistant coach Jeff Karras.

“I’ve known coach Karras from being down in Indy,” Karpinski said. “Obviously it helps with Jeff being here, but it always helps when you know somebody.”

Ormsby plans on majoring in education with hopes of becoming a high school teacher and a football coach.

“I love the way that coach Karras interacts with his players,” Ormsby said of his new coach. “It’s just a great atmosphere to be in. I really love the campus down there.”

Gondeck battled injuries in his final two seasons with the Wolves, but caught seven passes for 112 yards and a touchdown this season.

He plans in studying business and sports science with hopes of opening a gym.

“Marian is a great college and I’m very happy that I’m going there,” Gondeck said. “I can’t wait to play.”

The trio of City players had to withstand three varsity head coaches the last three years, so adapting to yet another coach should be a little bit easier for them than most. Karpinski praised the three for attaining scholarships despite the dynamic coaching situation at City over the course of their careers.

“It should be an easy transition for them,” Karpinski said. “They’ve had three different coaches in three years, yet they still worked hard and that’s why they are where they are. It’s because of their character, their discipline, and their work ethic.”

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
taxthedeer
Congratulations to Josh Gondeck and Trent Ormsby, members of the 2012 NAIA National Champion Marian Knights football team.
Jesse B
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Dec 15 2012, 11:32 AM) *

Congratulations to Josh Gondeck and Trent Ormsby, members of the 2012 NAIA National Champion Marian Knights football team.

Does anyone know how Giorgio Karallas did at St. Joe's? At one time he looked destined for DI.
backwoods
QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 17 2012, 08:47 AM) *

Does anyone know how Giorgio Karallas did at St. Joe's? At one time he looked destined for DI.

Just asked my couple of kids about him. They indicated that he didn't even make it through the season. I just checked St Joes web site and he isn't even listed on the roster so they maybe right...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.