Very cool job Parky!

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...15589077296.txt

The folks who make MCHS basketball special

By Adam Parkhouse
Home Cookin'
Published: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:33 AM CST
By the time you read this, you likely already know whether or not Michigan City won or lost its sectional championship game with Merrillville.

Since I don’t yet know the outcome of that game, I thought I’d take some time to single out some of the off-court things associated with Michigan City boys basketball that greatly contribute to the team’s success, regardless of whether or not they’re sectional champions today.

I’ll start with Warren Foster, the team’s official scorekeeper, He’s been doing the job for more than 40 years going back to Elston days.

I can remember my first encounter with Warren when I first started on the City boys beat. It was a game at East Chicago and he and I had a dispute as to how many points City’s William Walker had that night. Honestly, I don’t remember who won the argument, but I remember Warren was about 125 percent sure he was right.

Click here to find out more!
Since then I’ve really gotten to know Warren. His son, Danny, and grandson, Travis, are also fixtures at Wolves games. Warren is fiercely loyal and it’s difficult to imagine City basketball without him.

Also at the scorer’s table for home games are public address announcer Stan Holdcraft and scoreboard operator/timekeeper Chuck White.

Stan’s just got one of those voices. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had visiting fans or media comment on his robust tones as they boom through the Wolves Den. Every team needs a good P.A. guy, and the Wolves have one of the best.

Chuck is another one of those guys who’s just part of the landscape of City basketball. Wholly dependable, he’s always there in the middle of the table.

Unofficially, we refer to Chuck as “the fastest trigger finger in the state.” If you haven’t noticed, made baskets get put on the scoreboard faster than you can blink. I honestly don’t know how he does it. The man’s got a sixth sense about these kind of things. I swear, sometimes the points are on the board before the ball is even halfway down the net.

In the superfan department, there’s Jimmy Clarke. Every school has one, and Jimmy is City’s. The man attends more Michigan City High School athletic events than any person I know. If he’s not there for some reason, it’s not long before someone invariably asks, “Where’s Jimmy?”

Last, but certainly far from least, I want to talk about Den Delirium.

I honestly don’t remember who originally coined the term, but it happened within the last five or six years, if memory serves. It’s the Michigan City student section, and I don’t know of any section in Northern Indiana that does a better job providing a home-court advantage.

Every year we visit every gym in the Duneland Conference, and there’s no student group better than Den Delirium. From Wednesday’s toga party to Friday’s jersey night, the themes are always well-executed and the energy through the roof.

As a MCHS grad myself, being able to cover my hometown is special, but the people in this column are such a major part of the experience.

It’s what high school sports are all about.