Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Campbell resigns as MQT V-ball coach
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...16054968555.txt

Campbell going down in MC history

By Adam Parkhouse
Home Cookin'
Published: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:17 AM CDT
I can remember my first impressions of Troy Campbell.

He took over as Marquette volleyball coach for the 2003 season, splitting time with his duties as a La Porte police officer.

He was a hulking man, standing every bit of 6-5 and was rather burly. If you saw him and were trying to guess what sport he coached without knowing, you’d much sooner pick football than volleyball.

He spoke with a calm confidence, never so much bordering on arrogance as just letting you know that he know what he was doing.

The results soon showed everyone that was in fact the case.

Campbell coached the Blazers for nine seasons, winning six consecutive state titles and earning a state runner-up.

Saturday, he made his departure from the program official when he announced his resignation.

Now, he goes down as arguably the most successful coach in Michigan City sports history. In my opinion, only Elston basketball legend Doug Adams is in that particular conversation. That’s keeping pretty good company.

Others might throw in Elston cross country coach Cabot Holmes or even Rogers’ girls golf coach George Hultgren, each of whom have two state titles.

And sure, others had more longevity and piled up more sectional championships over a longer period of time. But six state championships, regardless of how you feel about class sports, is nothing to sneeze at.

Most coaches go their entire careers just hoping for an opportunity to win one.

Naysayers point to Marquette’s Class A standing as a reason to denegrate the Blazers’ accomplishments, but make no mistake about it, for that six-year run of state crowns, Campbell’s Blazers were among the top programs in the state in any class.

Campbell always beefed up Marquette’s schedule so as to make his team as tournament-ready as it could possibly be.

They played state powers like Muncie Burris and played in some of the top tournaments in the state, never backing down from anyone.

Perhaps the most impressive part about Campbell’s run of titles is how the Blazers survived in the tournament. When you win at that kind of clip. you’ve painted a huge target on your back. Yet, Marquette always came through when it mattered most. That’s certainly a testament to the coach.

During Campbell’s first seven years, the Blazers won a ridiculous 232 games against just 42 losses for a winning percentage of .847.

Over the last two years, the Blazers fell on more difficult times, illustrating that it’s not easy to win state championships, whether you’re in Class 4A or Class A.

It’s the end of an era at Marquette, and wherever the school goes from here, someone will have some awfully big shoes to fill — literally and figuratively.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461. Follow him on Twitter @LPCSportsGuy.
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...cf503545179.txt

Campbell leaves Marquette

By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:17 AM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — It’s the end of an era at Marquette.

Volleyball coach Troy Campbell, a six-time state champion, announced his resignation, informing his players of his decision Friday.

“It’s just time for a change,” Campbell said, “for both Marquette and myself. New challenges will be encountered by us both.”

Campbell’s record at Marquette is sterling. Over his first seven seasons, Campbell won 85 percent of his matches and six straight championship from 2004 through 2009. In his first year, 2003, the Blazers were the runner-up in Class A.

The program had fallen on hard times over the last two years as the Blazers struggled to a 21-47 overall mark and failing to get out of the sectional.

The 47 losses was five more than the Blazers had in the previous seven combined seasons under Campbell.

That said, Campbell doesn’t regret the past two seasons.

“I don’t regret a single thing,” Campbell said. “We did everything we possibly could do.

“I’m not the kind of coach who’s going to curl up in a corner because we don’t have the talent we had before.

“I think I did some of my best coaching in those years.”

Overall, in nine seasons, Campbell’s Blazers compiled a postseason record of 50-3, going 49-1 in those first seven years.

Campbell talked about the first year at the helm, when he admits to being a “little clueless” about what it was like to be the Marquette head coach.

“We went down to the (Class A) Shootout and we lost to Cowan and their coach was dancing after the match,” Campbell said.

“I was like, ‘What is going on? Why does everyone hate us?’

“That’s my clearest memory of that first year. It kind of lit my fire. I told myself we weren’t losing to them if we play in the state finals and we didn’t.”

Indeed, Marquette did beat Cowan in the state semifinal, but lost to Morristown.

“And that was my first mistake,” he said. “I didn’t even look at Morristown, because Cowan had beat Morristown. I figured if we beat Cowan, then we should be OK.

“We worked extremely hard to beat Cowan, but then we had nothing left for Morristown.”

That was a mistake that wouldn’t happen again, as the Blazers rolled through Class A for the next six seasons, emerging as state champion each time.

Now, as Campbell moves on, he can see the Blazers making a return to glory.

“I’m not leaving the cupboard bare here,” he said.

“These girls are now ready to win.

“We worked hard to gain experience and maturity and they’re ready to play.”

Campbell said the decision to leave wasn’t easy.

“The Marquette volleyball program is very, very important to me. It’s been a huge part of my life,” Campbell said. “It’s very difficult to walk away.”

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...21152415363.txt

New Prairie volleyball lands Campbell as coach

By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:12 AM CDT
NEW CARLISLE — Troy Campbell is taking his six state championships to the other side of La Porte County.

At Monday’s school board meeting, Campbell was approved as the new volleyball coach at New Prairie, becoming the Cougars’ third coach in as many seasons.

“When I interviewed there I found that the principal and athletic director were down to earth guys,” Campbell said. “There’s a real grass roots-type atmosphere there. It’s laid back and that’s kind of the way I picture myself.”

Late last week Campbell made his departure from Marquette official after winning six Class A state championships in nine seasons with the Blazers.

Jumping to 3A, Campbell now takes over a program with just one sectional title since the inception of class sports. The Cougars also play in arguably Class 3A’s most difficult sectional, containing perennial powers such as Mishawaka Marian, South Bend St. Joseph’s and Plymouth.

“It’ll take baby steps,” Campbell said. “But the hope is the kids have been learning how to win and now I can bring my experiences in and help them do that.”

Campbell also cited a familiarity with New Prairie players based on his involvment with Dunes Volleyball Club, which is based in Rolling Prairie.

New Prairie’s top returning player, Jayna Colanese, played on Campbell’s club team as a 13-year-old.

“I look forward to reconnecting with some of the girls and their families that I’ve gotten to know over the years,” Campbell said.

Campbell replaces Ashley Edinger, who left New Prairie after one year and is now teaching at Michigan City High School.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.