http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...cb230699037.txt

Edinger takes over City volleyball

By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:52 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Ashley Edinger is living the dream.

Michigan City volleyball’s all-time kills leader is now the Wolves’ head coach after she was approved for the position Tuesday by the Michigan City Area Schools Board.

“I’m really excited,” Edinger said. “Ever since I played at Michigan City it’s always been a dream of mine to come back and impact people the way I was impacted when I was a player here.”

Edinger spent last season as head coach at New Prairie but was able to acquire a biology teaching position at Michigan City High School. She left New Prairie and now replaces Kylee Caudle as City’s head coach.

“I didn’t think it would actually happen,” Edinger said. “Sarah (Hendricks) was there and then Kylee and I was pretty set with things at New Prairie ... but every thing has kind of fallen into place.”

It wasn’t long ago that Edinger, a 2006 City grad, had a very different dream. She was a member of the U.S. Junior National volleyball team and was thought to be a strong candidate to play for Team U.S.A. in the upcoming 2012 Summer Olympics in London.

But late in her collegiate career Edinger badly injured her knee, which sent her down a different path.

That path has led her back home.

“This really is a dream of mine,” Edinger said.

Though she was with New Prairie just one year, it was a good learning experience for Edinger, who quickly learned she had found her calling.

“It was exactly what I was expecting,” she said. “There were a couple things here and there where I had to get advice from more experienced coaches, but for the most part I love being a head coach and running a program the way I want to run a program.”

Edinger thinks the Wolves can get back to winning right away.

“There’s a lot of girls out there now who are great players and are putting in time in the offseason,” Edinger said. “This year coming up now is looking strong.”

Edinger also said she wants to focus more on developing the middle school programs to ultimately benefit the varsity program at the high school.

City volleyball has been through a fairly high rate of turnover over the years, but Edinger promises to change that.

“I’m here in Michigan City and I love it here,” she said. “I’m not going anywhere. I don’t plan on leaving.”

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.