Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coach Murray Richards leaving City To Return To West Side
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
taxthedeer
City boys basketball assistant coach Murray Richards is leaving Michigan City to become the New Head Boys Basketball Coach at Gary West Side, replacing Winston Garland. Good luck to coach Richards.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...3a18774433.html

Richards expected to be next boys hoops coach at West Side
By Steve Hanlon steve.hanlon@nwi.com, (219) 933-4198(1) Comments
Murray Richards bleeds blue and orange. The 1975 West Side graduate loves the Cougars through and through.

Pending next week's Gary Community School Board meeting, this love fest should continue.

After 26 years as an assistant coach, Richards has accepted the offer to become West Side's next boys basketball coach.

He will replace Winston Garland, who stepped down after the 2011-12 season. Garland was 28-33 in three years at West Side.

"I'm just waiting for it to be official," Richards said on Thursday afternoon.

Richards was a star for the Cougars in 1974 when he hit a game-winning shot in the regional championship to help second-ranked West Side upend No. 1 Hammond.

He played one year at Grambling State before returning home.

Richards has been West Side's assistant girls track coach for 12 years. He was an assistant with Rod Fisher's girls basketball team first, then joined John Boyd's boys hoops staff in 2001-02.

That was the year the program won the Class 4A state title.

"That was one of the best year's I ever had," Richards said. "We won state and we didn't want to stop playing. That's how much fun we all had."

Richards followed Boyd to Michigan City three years ago, but he's pleased to be returning to his alma mater.

"If I'm elected my goal is to put West Side back on the map," he said. "We have to have student athletes first. That's the most important thing. We have to be disciplined. We will understand Xs and Os."

Attempts to reach Gary City Athletic Director Earl Smith were unsuccessful.
Southsider2k12
Good for coach Richards. He did a great job with our bigs. He should do just fine at West Side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.