Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group pushes for Indiana to go all to Central time
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City at rest
Southsider2k12
http://www.wthr.com/story/18984343/coaliti...pt-central-time

INDIANAPOLIS -

Time is making a comeback as one of the hotly discussed issues in Indiana. A new effort aims to move the entire state from Eastern Time to the Central Time Zone.

When Mitch Daniels was first elected governor, he told Hoosiers the time for change was coming. That started when state lawmakers voted to make the switch to Daylight Saving Time in April 2005. Now 12 counties remain on Central Time while the remaining counties observe Eastern Time. But could the time be right for a change once again?

Gov. Daniels is coming to the end of his administration and the time issue, like class basketball, continues to simmer.

"I have kind of gotten used to the way it is now. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue with me," said Duane Belcher, Danville.

"Fall back's fine with me. Save time. Feel like you have more hours in the day. That's what I gotta say," said Lyza Murphy, Danville.

"We are on the same time as New York, Boston, Washington, DC and the sun rises 50 minutes earlier in those cities than it does in Indianapolis," said Jim Disney.

To folks like Disney, that compounds the problem that school children encounter when trying to board school buses earlier and earlier in the morning darkness. In fact, the Central Time Zone Coalition was formed after a school bus accident in Carmel.

"Where a young man was killed by a school bus in the morning darkness. That was the beginning of the Central Time Zone Coalition," explained Disney.

Now with a new gubernatorial election underway, will the time zone issue be resurrected?

Republican candidate Mike Pence's campaign issued this statement to Eyewitness News: "Mike Pence respects the view on both sides of this debate, but he believes we need to maintain current policy and focus our efforts on creating jobs for Hoosiers."

Democrat John Gregg concurred.

"I remember getting a letter about it, and I have been asked about it in a few areas, but all I hear people talking about is jobs," said Gregg.

Even Libertarian Rupert Boneham says there are more important issues currently confronting the state.

The coalition got a committee hearing this last year. The goal next year is to get an up or down floor vote in either chamber.
MC Born & Raised
Indiana belongs in central time. This is long overdue. Look at the New Prairie school district, where some kids live in the eastern time zone and go to school in the central time zone. How ludicrous.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 10 2012, 05:38 PM) *

Indiana belongs in central time. This is long overdue. Look at the New Prairie school district, where some kids live in the eastern time zone and go to school in the central time zone. How ludicrous.

I agree fully. The only area I could hear an argument for is the metro area around Cincy, so they stay synched to their big city. Other than that, the meridian line that is supposed to be the divider between central and eastern time goes through Columbus Ohio.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.