Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best pizza poll
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Pages: 1, 2
Southsider2k12
I did it on the facebook page last year, but I wanted to open it up here as well...

I am going to take everyone's nominations for the best pizza in Michigan City. The one ground rule is no national chains. No domino's, pizza hut, or little ceasars. Post the places you think should be on the poll, and after a few days of name gathering, I will make a poll and everyone can vote.
MCRogers1974
Albano's.
Ang
Wana Pizza
MCRogers1974
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 12 2012, 10:10 AM) *

I did it on the facebook page last year, but I wanted to open it up here as well...

I am going to take everyone's nominations for the best pizza in Michigan City. The one ground rule is no national chains. No domino's, pizza hut, or little ceasars. Post the places you think should be on the poll, and after a few days of name gathering, I will make a poll and everyone can vote.

Roma's
ChickenCityRoller
STOP 50, HANDS DOWN!!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
ChickenCityRoller
The second best pizza (maybe even best) is the pizza I make! Naturally leavened (I have been maintaining two sourdough cultures for over two years now) neopolitan style pizzas. They're small, they're super fresh and they're killer! I've been working on these for two years now and I have it really dialed in. I've gone deep in the pizza shed, now on my 12th 55lb bag of 00 flour! These cook in about 90 seconds at 900 degrees.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bandaid19
I really want to make a brick oven outside smile.gif I've been thinking about it for a while. smile.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 12 2012, 11:08 AM) *

The second best pizza (maybe even best) is the pizza I make! Naturally leavened (I have been maintaining two sourdough cultures for over two years now) neopolitan style pizzas. They're small, they're super fresh and they're killer! I've been working on these for two years now and I have it really dialed in. I've gone deep in the pizza shed, now on my 12th 55lb bag of 00 flour! These cook in about 90 seconds at 900 degrees.

Too much green stuff!
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jul 12 2012, 11:13 AM) *

I really want to make a brick oven outside smile.gif I've been thinking about it for a while. smile.gif

For years and years, I wanted to make a brick oven. I love to cook and I'm a total pyro so I figured it was a perfect match! Once I realized that my home oven was the weak link in my pizza making, I decided to look in to making, buying, having someone build one for me. I was scouring the web for sometime when I found Willard's site, http://www.2stonepg.com/ Somewhere in there, he talks about how when he had wood fired oven (WFO) that his Dad came for a visit and they decided to make some pizzas. They made the dough in advance, then fired the oven which took about three hours and made three pizzas, each one cooking in 90 seconds. That's when he started to develop his own gas powered oven. At those high temps the wood imparts ZERO flavor, it's simply a fuel source and burns totally clean since it's so hot. For a hobbiest such as myself, this made a ton of sense.
MCRogers1974
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 12 2012, 10:49 AM) *

STOP 50, HANDS DOWN!!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tiny in size and huge in price. Good but not worth the ultra high price.
indianamaniac
Little Giant
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 12 2012, 12:11 PM) *

Too much green stuff!

c'mon that's the healthy part. FYI the one covered in "green stuff" is arugula. The other "green stuff" is just a couple of leaves of basil.

would you prefer Soylent Green? tongue.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 12 2012, 12:21 PM) *

c'mon that's the healthy part. FYI the one covered in "green stuff" is arugula. The other "green stuff" is just a couple of leaves of basil.

I know not what of this "healthy stuff" you speak off.
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Jul 12 2012, 12:18 PM) *

Tiny in size and huge in price. Good but not worth the ultra high price.

Not cheap for sure but they're doing something right: http://www.yelp.com/biz/stop-50-wood-fired...michiana-shores

I dunno, when I see places selling two large pizza for ten bucks or when I can pour literally a couple ounces of grease off the top of a pizza, you gotta wonder what the heck the ingredients are made from.

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jul 12 2012, 11:13 AM) *

btw, if you want to open the pizza making shed door, this is a GREAT starting point: www.pizzamaking.com

I would also like to toss in to the hat, Jim and Andrea's awesome Studebaker pizza making trucks!

http://www.rollingstonebaker.com/
Ang
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 12 2012, 12:21 PM) *

Soylent Green is........PEOPLE!

One of my favorite movies! I absolutely LOVE Charlton Heston and cried the day he died....

Oh, and every time I look at this topic thread, for some reason I see pizza Roll, not Poll..... laugh.gif
bandaid19
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 12 2012, 12:25 PM) *

Not cheap for sure but they're doing something right: http://www.yelp.com/biz/stop-50-wood-fired...michiana-shores

I dunno, when I see places selling two large pizza for ten bucks or when I can pour literally a couple ounces of grease off the top of a pizza, you gotta wonder what the heck the ingredients are made from.
btw, if you want to open the pizza making shed door, this is a GREAT starting point: www.pizzamaking.com

I would also like to toss in to the hat, Jim and Andrea's awesome Studebaker pizza making trucks!

http://www.rollingstonebaker.com/

I've seen their trucks at several events... most recently in Valpo at the Center City Plaza. Yum.

I'm a big fan of Jamie Oliver, and he has a stone/wood oven out in his garden.. I just like cooking outside too.. it would be a novelty, but fun. FIRE + FOOD = fun. smile.gif
MCRogers1974
QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 12 2012, 12:49 PM) *

One of my favorite movies! I absolutely LOVE Charlton Heston and cried the day he died....

Oh, and every time I look at this topic thread, for some reason I see pizza Roll, not Poll..... laugh.gif

Your eyes tell you what you really want to see. smile.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 12 2012, 12:49 PM) *

And now this thread is officially derailed! laugh.gif
taxthedeer
J&J Pizza Shack, one of the few places you can still go and get something to eat on the Boulevard. Know their phone number by heart, 872-1616. Charlies is good too.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jul 12 2012, 12:58 PM) *

I've seen their trucks at several events... most recently in Valpo at the Center City Plaza. Yum.

I'm a big fan of Jamie Oliver, and he has a stone/wood oven out in his garden.. I just like cooking outside too.. it would be a novelty, but fun. FIRE + FOOD = fun. smile.gif

I think they were at the Taste of Michigan City last year too, IIRC.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 12 2012, 11:49 AM) *

Holy crap, I did the same thing. Great minds ....
Tim
Albano's.

Of course, I'm only in town once a year, so it's as much about nostalgia as anything. These other places look pretty good!
MC Born & Raised
I wrote on the facebook page, too, but I usually pick Albano's in these polls. But I believe Wana has won over my heart. That's damn-good pizza.
Jane Nan
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 12 2012, 12:08 PM) *

Your pizzas look delicious, but if you really want to "sell" me on them, you've got to lose the bug! I get a shiver every time I see it and not a good kind. hahahaha laugh.gif
Ang
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 12 2012, 06:03 PM) *

I wrote on the facebook page, too, but I usually pick Albano's in these polls. But I believe Wana has won over my heart. That's damn-good pizza.

Have you tried the chicken alfredo pizza? OMG!!! I could eat a whole one all by myself!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 12 2012, 06:03 PM) *

I like it, but it doesn't excite me that much. For my two cents, it belongs above any chain for sure, but in the level below Roma's and Albano's.
Ang
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 13 2012, 09:25 AM) *

I like it, but it doesn't excite me that much. For my two cents, it belongs above any chain for sure, but in the level below Roma's and Albano's.

I always get extremely intense heartburn after eating Roma pizza....something about their sauce I guess. The heartburn starts before I even finish the pizza. Not fond of it and haven't eaten there in at least 10 years.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 13 2012, 08:25 AM) *

I grew up on Roma's ... My uncle has delivered for them for as long as I've been alive, and it's really good. What I really dig about Wana is they're not afraid to put a couple toppings on their pizza. As much as I like Albano's, they can get skimpy with toppings, especially their AWESOME sausage.

I know you said no chains, but I LOVE Godfathers. I don't consider them a real chain, though, cuz I don't see their commercials on TV. LOL
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 13 2012, 01:25 PM) *

I grew up on Roma's ... My uncle has delivered for them for as long as I've been alive, and it's really good. What I really dig about Wana is they're not afraid to put a couple toppings on their pizza. As much as I like Albano's, they can get skimpy with toppings, especially their AWESOME sausage.

I know you said no chains, but I LOVE Godfathers. I don't consider them a real chain, though, cuz I don't see their commercials on TV. LOL

I love Godfathers Pizza buffet. Just because I can, I will put them in the poll. smile.gif
ChickenCityRoller
baaaaa Godfathers is a HUGE national chain
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 13 2012, 01:00 PM) *

Whatever. It's still good. LOL
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 13 2012, 02:00 PM) *

It's good to be the King smile.gif
mc46360
The stuffed pizza from Millers Pizza at Karwick Plaza
Southsider2k12
The poll is up on the facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/questions/10151096191768875/
Southsider2k12
Final results from the Best Pizza in MC poll... The winner, to no one's surprise... Albano's with 132 of 215 votes, or 61.4% of the vote. Second was Little Giant with 21, Roma a close third with 20, tied for forth with 11 each were J&J's and Gelsomo's, 6th was Wana Pizza with 8 votes (and a newcomer to the poll). After that was Stop 50 (5), Hammers (4), Charlie's (2), and Stop 50 (1). Thanks for voting all!
Ang
Mmmmmmm.......pizza!
Tim
Congrats to Albano's! I have a friend in town - just had Albano's - said it was just as good as ever. We had Albano's last summer while home. It was spectacular!
j4katz
A round pizza that is cut in squares is not pizza.
Tim
QUOTE(j4katz @ Jul 30 2012, 04:15 PM) *

A round pizza that is cut in squares is not pizza.

Huh?
j4katz
QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 30 2012, 05:26 PM) *

Huh?

It is a pizza pie. You cut pies in triangle slices. Each slice should have a crust.
Tim
QUOTE(j4katz @ Jul 30 2012, 04:30 PM) *

It is a pizza pie. You cut pies in triangle slices. Each slice should have a crust.

Albano's pizza is not cut into squares, and every piece does have a crust.

Are you okay?
j4katz
QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 30 2012, 05:33 PM) *

Albano's pizza is not cut into squares, and every piece does have a crust.

Are you okay?

I am and every time I have been to Albano's it is cut into rectangles. I even asked Jimmy Albano if it could be cut into triangles and he told me it could not.Click to view attachment
Job
QUOTE(j4katz @ Jul 30 2012, 04:40 PM) *

I am and every time I have been to Albano's it is cut into rectangles. I even asked Jimmy Albano if it could be cut into triangles and he told me it could not.Click to view attachment

Whatever, I think it tastes very good.
Tim
QUOTE(j4katz @ Jul 30 2012, 04:40 PM) *

So - rectangles - not squares. Though those do look like squares.

Confused.

Not like it's the first time.
j4katz
As I am originally from New York, I have a very narrow view of what pizza is and although I frequently eat "pizza" here at various establishments, it is not and never will be pizza.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(j4katz @ Jul 30 2012, 07:54 PM) *

As I am originally from New York, I have a very narrow view of what pizza is and although I frequently eat "pizza" here at various establishments, it is not and never will be pizza.

I was out there this spring and ate at Lombardi's and another place on Times Square. To each his own and all, but I will never get NY style pizza. Thin crust just doesn't do it for me, especially when it crunches. Good toppings and all, but I just couldn't get over the crust.
Tim
QUOTE(j4katz @ Jul 30 2012, 06:54 PM) *

So - you judge food by how it's cut and not by how it tastes?

And this - "You cut pies in triangle slices."

Says who?
j4katz
QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 30 2012, 10:11 PM) *

So - you judge food by how it's cut and not by how it tastes?

And this - "You cut pies in triangle slices."

Says who?

Pizza cut in triangle slices tastes better than pizza cut in squares or rectangles and everyone gets an equal portion
Tim
QUOTE(j4katz @ Jul 30 2012, 10:08 PM) *

Pizza cut in triangle slices tastes better than pizza cut in squares or rectangles

No it does not.
j4katz
QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 30 2012, 11:18 PM) *

No it does not.

It does

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-june...ith-crazy-broad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.