Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CBTL: Catch-all Anything thread
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Ang
Okay, this is a new one and it really frosts me!! I've started getting SPAM text messages on my phone!!!! I got online and looked up the place that's sending them and it's some direct marketing firm in Germany!!! I had Jeeves translate the page and it was so poorly put into English that I could hardly understand what they mean. An example was to spell "more" as "moor" UGH!!! My mom is calling Verizon today to see how to stop that. Has anyone else had this problem?
Southsider2k12
Ew. Hopefully you aren't on a pay by text plan... That sounds like a nightmare.
Ang
I have the unlimited "IN" texting and 500/mo. out of network, and I don't text a whole lot, so it isn't costing me money. It's just a pain in the arse to get spam texts. How rude!!
Southsider2k12
Funny story, I just came accross this article on MSNBC today.
Even funnier is that I know one of the people mentioned in the article... small world.

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/09/text-spam-for-s.html

They are unwanted messages on what might be an unwanted service, but you may get stuck paying for them anyway. And depending on your carrier, it might not be possible to opt out of text message spam.

After years of trying, spammers have finally figured out how to crash the text message party. Cell phone text spam is much, much worse than e-mail spam, junk mail, or even telemarketing calls for one simple reason: Recipients have to pay for it.

Perhaps you were among the thousands of cell phone users hit with spam text messages late last month. Starting around Aug. 20, a message hawking stock in tiny Fredericks Entertainment landed on cell phones provided by many carriers. If you read Herb Weisbaum's ConsumerMan column last week, you know that victims of this widespread attack must call their carrier to seek a refund or credit.

Bob Sullivan talks to Alex Witt on MSNBC-TV about the problem of text message spam. Click to watch.

There's something else you might consider to prevent future cell phone spam: If you aren't the type to type into a mobile handset, perhaps you'd prefer turning off your text message service. That would be the ultimate spam filter, and certainly a logical solution to the problem.

Not so fast. Some carriers say they can't disable text messaging.

Shelly Ng of Illinois, who says she was recently hit by text spam, was shocked when her seemingly simple request was rejected by a T-Mobile customer service representative.

"I asked them to turn off my texting capability because I don't text. They refused, claiming that their technology does not allow them to do so," Ng said.

Even worse, the agent then tried to sell her on a text message plan for $4.95 per month. "I got so mad," she said.

Ultimately, T-Mobile gave her 15 free messages as a credit toward future spam. But the basic problem remains: Ultimately, Ng will again be charged 15 cents apiece for messages she doesn't want.

David Henderson, a T-Mobile spokesman, confirmed that T-Mobile users cannot turn off texting for technical reasons.

"The text messaging feature on your account is actually a mandatory feature and cannot be removed,” he said. “This feature is needed because it’s where voice mail and billing notifications are delivered."

Henderson said the problem of text spam is minimal because T-Mobile uses sophisticated spam software and allows consumers to add their own text filters on T-Mobile's Web site. The recent Fredericks spam, for example, didn't reach T-Mobile customers, he said.

Other carrier policies
Verizon customers can't turn off texting either, but spokesman Jeff Nelson said they can do the next best thing: They can shut off text messages sent from e-mail or Web browsers. After that’s done, only cell-phone-to-cell-phone texting is possible, and it's nearly impossible to run a spam campaign because spammers need automated tools and e-mail programs to send thousands of messages at a time, he said.

Still, the company is considering going the extra step and letting customers shut off texting altogether, he said.

"We are looking at that possibility," Nelson said.

Verizon users can call customer service or visit any store for instructions on how to cut off certain kinds of text messages.

Sprint's policy is simpler: Users can call customer service and turn off texting, said spokeswoman Emmy Anderson. They also can use the company's Web site to restrict text messages from individual numbers, though that would do little to prevent spam.

Susan Bean at AT&T (formerly Cingular) said its customers can also shut off texting, but the company doesn't recommend it.

"If you have a customer that really doesn't text, that would be a solution," she said. "But most people don't want to turn off text messaging ... so we have a lot better alternatives for preventing spam." Similar to other providers, she said AT&T employs filters that block unwanted text messages.

RED TAPE WRESTLING TIPS
So far, cell phone text spam is relatively rare, so this is more of a nuisance than a crisis. Still, no one wants to call customer service every time a spam text appears to ask for a 15 cent refund or a one-message credit. So here's what to do:
• Turn off texting if you never use it and your carrier offers that option. By default, almost all phones are text-enabled now.
• If you might eventually want to use text messaging, get on the cheapest plan possible. Many carriers offer a few hundred messages for $2 to $3. I hate to recommend adding a service you might not use all the time, but predictable bills are better than surprises. Even $5 a month is better than one unexpected $45 bill that shows up after teenager suddenly discovers “how 2 txt.”
• Call and complain when you get text spam. It's the only way to motivate your carrier to stay on top of the problem.

Ang
Hey, thanks for the story. I'm going to call Verizon and ask them to disable internet texting. It will be a little inconvenient as I often email myself pictures I take with my phone, but that inconvenience is a whole lot better than SPAM texts. I guess I'll just have to carry my camera around with me like I used to do before I got a picture phone.
Roger Kaputnik
If you do not open the text, are you still charged?
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 9 2007, 12:45 PM) *

If you do not open the text, are you still charged?

Yeah, you are because you received it. And turning your phone off won't work either because as soon as you turn it on, the text comes through just like voice mail.
Roger Kaputnik
another rip-off
Southsider2k12
If you haven't gotten down to Coulter pumpkin farm in Westville yet, make the trip... Its well worth it. They have pony rides, a mini-corn maze, and other activities for the really little ones, plus a full size corn maze for adults. There is also plenty of fresh produce, such as tomatoes and the like to be had. They also have a lot of Garwood products such as apples and cider. Then of course they have pumpkins and gourds of all shapes and sizes, at very good prices. The trip can be made very cheap with kids, as there is no admissions charge and plenty to do for free.
Ang
That corn maze is pretty cool. We went a couple years ago and got lost in the maze. My kids were scared to death. We took a hay ride to get to the maze. We were the last tour of the day, plus it was overcast. The kids were afraid we'd still be there after dark and the scarecrows would come get us. They had hot apple cider for after the maze. It was a really neat experience. So, if you have kids between 4 and 14 they would really dig and I recommend it.
Roger Kaputnik
sounds like fun
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 15 2007, 05:39 PM) *

That corn maze is pretty cool. We went a couple years ago and got lost in the maze. My kids were scared to death. We took a hay ride to get to the maze. We were the last tour of the day, plus it was overcast. The kids were afraid we'd still be there after dark and the scarecrows would come get us. They had hot apple cider for after the maze. It was a really neat experience. So, if you have kids between 4 and 14 they would really dig and I recommend it.

We're taking our 7-yr old and some of her friends out to one in Wanatah this Saturday, weather permitting. She wanted to do this for her birthday (this Friday)...so, we're going. Any suggestions on what to do instead, just in case it rains this Saturday?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 17 2007, 12:59 PM) *

We're taking our 7-yr old and some of her friends out to one in Wanatah this Saturday, weather permitting. She wanted to do this for her birthday (this Friday)...so, we're going. Any suggestions on what to do instead, just in case it rains this Saturday?

Down that way? I couldn't tell you any other options for entertainment of children.
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 17 2007, 02:06 PM) *

Down that way? I couldn't tell you any other options for entertainment of children.

No, just in general. I know there is a toy store at Marquette Mall that does a version of the build a bear thing...but other than that, I need alternative, easy to implement ideas. Otherwise, they'll be playing Wii at my house! laugh.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 17 2007, 02:23 PM) *

No, just in general. I know there is a toy store at Marquette Mall that does a version of the build a bear thing...but other than that, I need alternative, easy to implement ideas. Otherwise, they'll be playing Wii at my house! laugh.gif

Sounds like a fun day to me smile.gif

The sad thing is if you eliminate shopping and eating, there really isn't much to do indoors around here. St Joe has the Curious Kids Museum, that would be right about the perfect age bracket, but that is about a 45 minute drive.

http://www.curiouskidsmuseum.org/main.html

Chicago has some options, and you can even take the train, which is still fun at that age.
Ang
Chuck-E-Cheeze
Southsider2k12
BTW Happy Birthday Jenny cool.gif
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 18 2007, 08:06 AM) *

BTW Happy Birthday Jenny cool.gif

Thanks, SSider! biggrin.gif
Ang
Tuesday, October 16th we broke two weather records in one day. We broke the record for the low temperature (24 degrees) and we broke the record for the high temperature (69 degrees) in the same day.
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 18 2007, 09:37 AM) *

Tuesday, October 16th we broke two weather records in one day. We broke the record for the low temperature (24 degrees) and we broke the record for the high temperature (69 degrees) in the same day.

I wonder if that has ever happened at any other time or place in history. Amazing!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 17 2007, 07:46 PM) *

Chuck-E-Cheeze

Oooh, another good call. They also usually have coupons in the big Sunday papers that have specials giving you food and a boatload of tokens for the kids.
Ang
We got our first snow finally. It was a little late this year. Usually we have snow on the ground by the first week of October. It always melts away within a day or so. But I wanted to share with you what I woke up to yesterday morning....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Roger Kaputnik
Hunting season must be opening soon there.
Ang
Hunting season started almost a month ago. They start with bow, then gun, and they have certain weeks for certain game. It's all very complicated and confusing if you ask me. My bro-in-law is an avid hunter. He goes every weekend from the first day of bow season, to the last day of Elk season.
Ang
We're (Admin team) playing with skins and colors trying to come up with themes. Some of them are pretty horrible and others look real cool. You can check out our attempts by going to the bottom left of the page and you'll see a box with a drop arrow that says IPB Default Skin. Click the arrow and you can select the skin you want.
Remember, this is work in progress and SSder and I are still trying to figure it all out. Feel free to comment, but please be merciful. wink.gif
Suggestions are welcome also.
Roger Kaputnik
The Default is by far the easiest to read and follow.
Ang
Check out the large font skin. I didn't change any colors, just increased the font sizes a little.
Roger Kaputnik
Indiana firearms starts Nov 17. This year one may use a rifle that uses pistol cartridges, e.g., .44 magnum.
Ang
Roger, this one's for you....

Just another example of Idiots Out Wandering Around (IOWA):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usanimalhuntin...BGofOQV.ZYE1vAI

Dogs shoot man on hunting trip Mon Oct 29, 2:52 PM ET

CHICAGO (AFP) - A pack of hunting dogs shot an Iowa man as he went to retrieve a fallen pheasant, authorities said.

James Harris, 37, was shot in the leg while hunting with some friends on Saturday afternoon.

The group shot a bird which landed on the other side of a fence, the Iowa Department of Natural Resource said in a press release.

"Harris reportedly went to retrieve the bird, placed his gun on the ground and crossed the fence near the muzzle end," the press release said.

"When he crossed the fence, hunting dogs stepped on the gun, which discharged and struck Harris in the left calf at a distance of roughly three feet."

Harris was treated at a regional medical center and later transported by helicopter to an Iowa City hospital

Ang
Happy Halloween

Click to view attachment
Roger Kaputnik
Well, well, well.

1. Why was the man getting the bird? Isn't that what the dogs do?
2. Were the dogs related to Veep Cheney?
3. Why didn't the man open the action when he left his gun?
4. Maybe the dogs missed...?
5. Did he have permission to go on the other side of the fence?
6. What about his buddies? Where were they?
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 31 2007, 09:46 AM) *

Great costume!
Roger Kaputnik
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4009567.stm
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 1 2007, 10:24 AM) *

I wonder if the bad guy was tested for rabies? Will cop and dog have to go through the shot series?
Roger Kaputnik
I wonder if he will be neutered.
Ang
That ND website really irritates me!! They always have some sort of glitch. A couple weeks ago I had to double click the back button, yesterday I had to hit refresh to get every page to load and today it's not giving me anything at all. It says "done" at the bottom, but the page never loads. I hit refresh, the page never loads.

I don't even know why I bother going there sometimes!!
Roger Kaputnik
Do you mean SOMETIMES you wonder or SOMETIMES you go there?

I hear the HA is the place to go. I also heard that the SB Trib has as much MC news as the ND.
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 8 2007, 03:05 PM) *

Do you mean SOMETIMES you wonder or SOMETIMES you go there?

Sometimes I wonder....
Roger Kaputnik
SS, this morning I heard stuff about the ND and HA being owned by the same company--about half the HA staff may lose jobs...what gives?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 9 2007, 01:06 PM) *

SS, this morning I heard stuff about the ND and HA being owned by the same company--about half the HA staff may lose jobs...what gives?

True story.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/ne...t_id=1003670433

Paxton Reported to be Cutting Dozens of Jobs in LaPorte, Ind.

By E&P Staff

Published: November 08, 2007 6:10 PM ET

NEW YORK Less than two months after acquiring its third Indiana newspaper, Paxton Media Group fired as many as half its staffers, a nearby newspaper reported today.

According to the report, the six-day, afternoon Herald-Argus, in LaPorte - in the county of the same name, where Paxton already owns The News Dispatch, a seven-day, 10,854-circulation morning paper in Michigan City - will lose 30 to 40 employees.

Herald-Argus managers could not be reached immediately to confirm the report.

An unidentified source told the Post Tribune -- the Sun-Times Media Group daily in nearby Lake County -- that Herald-Argus prepress, pressroom and post-press workers were informed yesterday that they will be out of work at the end of the month, when production transfers to Paxton's Herald-Palladium, in St. Joseph, Mich., a larger evening paper (21,324-circulation) with a larger press.

Post-Tribune staff writer Tom Wyatt also reported that four sales assistants, a photographer and wire editor were laid off last week.

The Herald-Argus was acquired for an undisclosed price from Small Newspapers Group on Oct. 1, giving the Paducah, Ky., company 11 newspapers in the state.

Wire editor and 22-year Herald-Argus veteran Julie Kessler received her termination notice by certified mail while on sick leave following surgery. Kessler told the Post-Tribune that her coworkers had been assured their paper's sale would have little effect on production and staffing. She said severance includes 12 weeks' pay.

Kessler also said Paxton was telling Herald-Argus and News-Dispatch editorial staffs to refrain from publicizing details of the cutbacks.

Wyatt quotes Kessler saying, "We print information about other companies [experiencing cutbacks]. However, the decision was made that wouldn't happen this time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E&P Staff (letters@editorandpublisher.com)
Roger Kaputnik
This stinks. The coverup is worse.
Ang
Well, winter is definitely settling upon us here in Casper, Wyoming. Yesterday and today we've had 40-50 mph sustained winds with 60-75 mph gusts. Winter in Wyoming should be renamed as Wind-er.
Roger Kaputnik
Hyuk-hyuk-hyuk. How is the hunting going? Did Brother get anything yet?
Ang
Oh yeah. He got an 8-point elk, my nephew got a 9-point atypical (bigger than my bros) but my sis didn't get one. She's rather disappointed. I told her she could go for an antelope but when they last went out they didn't see a thing--not even a bear. Nothing. I asked her about small game and she said the only thing they saw was other hunters. Bummer.
Ang
When I posted this morning about the wind, it was 57 degrees. Now that the wind has stopped the temp is 32 and it's snowing! I don't know which is worse.
Southsider2k12
Damn, that sounds a lot like Chicago springs smile.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Here is a little game: You have to post a word that starts with the last letter of the previous word. For example, I say lawyer, you say rat...

Here is my word: KICK.
JHeath
Knickerbocker.
Roger Kaputnik
Rink.

I do not mean to hijack the thread. If you are playing, and I hope everyone does, just put your word at the top of your post, or at the bottom in parentheses.

(Rink)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.