Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CBTL: Catch-all Anything thread
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Ang
Kangaroo
Max Main
Ox.
JHeath
Xylophone
Roger Kaputnik
Who had snowflakes this morning? I did, near Arndt's Orchard.

(ersatz)
Roger Kaputnik
Here is a suggestion: Put your word in double parantheses to clearly denote it as an entry.

((zilch))
Southsider2k12
It coming down in a slushy/sleety mix when I got on the train at 5 am. Darn was it COLD!
Roger Kaputnik
I am wondering how the weather will be on Saturday in the tree stand as deer firearms season opens.

((hex))
JHeath
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 15 2007, 08:58 AM) *

I am wondering how the weather will be on Saturday in the tree stand as deer firearms season opens.
((hex))

Hopefully not too cold.

((xylograph))
Ang
It's warm here today. In the upper 50's, but windy (as usual). Next week it's only supposed to be in the 20's. aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!

((halogen))
Ang
QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 9 2007, 07:32 AM) *

That guy that escaped from Westville CC passed by a couple hours from here. He robbed a bank east of Gillette a couple days ago before he went up to Montana. They were talking about it on the news this morning. They didn't say he escaped from an Indiana prison, but they did say he was on America's Most Wanted. Then, I found the news paper article with the story.... Small world, huh?

Kelvin Fuller was in our paper again....

http://www.trib.com/articles/2007/11/14/ne...39300034351.txt

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:04 AM MST

Marshals subdue robbery suspect

CHEYENNE -- An escaped convict from Indiana charged with robbing a bank in northeast Wyoming this summer tried to take a nurse hostage at the Cheyenne Regional Medical Center on Sunday before being subdued by police, the U.S. Marshals Service said Tuesday.

Kelvin Jerome Fuller is charged with robbing the Pinnacle Bank in Moorcroft this August. Police say they found money in his car still in wrappers from the bank when he was later arrested Aug. 8 in Montana. He had been on the run since escaping from an Indiana prison on Aug. 1.

According to a release from the Marshals Service in Cheyenne, Fuller is being held at the Platte County Jail. Deputy marshals took him to the medical center in Cheyenne for treatment of "alleged seizures" on Sunday night, the release states.

"Fuller was about to be released from the hospital and was going over his discharge papers with his nurse when he suddenly produced a homemade knife and attempted to hold the nurse hostage," the release states. It said the deputies used a Taser to subdue Fuller when he went for a deputy's weapon.

According to the release, the nurse was treated at the medical center's emergency room and released. Authorities are investigating how Fuller got the piece of metal that they say he fashioned into a knife.

Daniel G. Blythe, assistant federal defender, represents Fuller in the bank robbery case. Blythe said Tuesday he had no comment on the hospital allegations.

And he was in yours....

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=43928.78

WCF Escapee Tried To Take Hostage
Authorities claim Fuller faked seizures, threatened nurse with a shank.

The Associated Press and Staff Reports

CHEYENNE, Wyo. - A man who escaped from the Westville Correctional Facility and was being held in Wyoming tried to take a nurse hostage at a hospital but was subdued by police, authorities reported.

Deputy U.S. marshals took Kelvin J. Fuller to a hospital in Cheyenne for treatment of "alleged seizures" on Sunday night, according to a news release from the U.S. Marshal's Service.

"Fuller was about to be released from the hospital and was going over his discharge papers with his nurse when he suddenly produced a homemade knife and attempted to hold the nurse hostage," the release states.

It said that deputy U.S. marshals used a Taser to subdue Fuller when he went for a deputy's weapon.

The nurse was treated at the medical center's emergency room and released, the release said. Authorities are investigating how Fuller got the piece of metal that they say he fashioned into a knife.

Fuller was being held at the Platte County Jail after he was charged with robbing the Pinnacle Bank in Moorcroft, Wyo., in August.

He had been on the run since escaping from the Westville facility on Aug. 1.

Daniel G. Blythe, assistant federal defender, represents Fuller in the bank robbery case. Blythe has filed notice that Fuller may assert an insanity defense.

Blythe said Tuesday he had no comment on the hospital allegations.

Westville officials said Fuller escaped by kicking through the wall of a building at the facility and climbing over a perimeter fence. He allegedly stole a car from a Westville woman and drove it to the Merrillville area, where investigators say he assaulted a bus driver who had just dropped children off at Deep River Water Park.

Days later - after allegedly robbing a bank in Fishers, Ind., near Indianapolis - Fuller was arrested in Butte, Mont. His arrest came just after he was profiled on the television program, "America's Most Wanted."

Fuller was convicted in Hancock, Marion and Madison counties in Indiana for crimes including multiple counts of robbery and battery, criminal confinement, burglary, arson and escape.

He was first sent to the Department of Correction on Jan. 3, 1992, and his current projected release date was March 2, 2012.

((nookie))
JHeath
I think that man really needs to be in a locked psychiatric unit...not just a correctional facility.

((eclectic))
Roger Kaputnik
The fact that he had escaped another facility should automatically put him in the Class 4 type restrictions. Now he has a bunch of WY charges on him, in addition to the IN ones.

I was hoping Ang would have the Wyoming skinny for us.

((crag))
Ang
Aside from what I posted today, there hasn't been much else about the guy. But, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for more info. Cheyenne is the state capital and 180 miles from here, so we only get details when the news is "spectacular." This was just a little blurb. Evidently the Star Trib doesn't find much interesting about ol' Mr. Fuller.

((gregarious))
Roger Kaputnik
Well, just how many madmen from Hoosierland do you get over there?

((sin))
Ang
So far I think it's just me and that other guy. ohmy.gif

I just got some news I'd like to share. My son has completed his Job Corps training in just under 4 months!! That just goes to show it's not my kid who had a problem learning, it's the schools that had a problem teaching! Anyway, he has got his GED, Serve-safe Certification (which is a food service thing to properly prepare and handle food) and completed his culinary training. He's coming home tonite! I've got to pick him up at the bus station at 3:30 am (UGH!). Since he completed his training, he will get a $1200 bonus, which he plans to use to buy a beater car to get around town. With the Serve-safe Cert. and culinary training completion, he'll be able to get a job at a restaurant in the kitchen. He'll probably have to start out as a prep-cook but, as he said, it's a foot in the door.

I'm so proud of him!!!

((notorious))
Roger Kaputnik
congrats to son!! I am very interested in cooking, esp. in a professional kitchen. I will be very keen on knowing how he does.

((sex))
JHeath
Congrats, Ang! Sounds like he's doing really well.

((x-ray))
Ang
Thank you all. He's so happy to be home. We haven't had much of a chance to talk as I had to go back to bed as soon as we got home (I was still and hour and half late this morning sad.gif -but I cleared it with my boss yesterday). I'm off the Friday after Thanksgiving, so I'm going to take the boy around town to apply for restaurant jobs. We're also going to sit down and I will teach him how to prepare a resume and balance a check book. Oh, the joys of parenting. I wouldn't trade it for anything and am really excited at the prospect of teaching him to be an adult.

Guess who's making dinner tonite?

((Yellowstone))
JHeath
You'll have to let us know how he does with cooking. biggrin.gif

((ecological))
Roger Kaputnik
Lint
Ang
Telemarketer
Ang
I saw this on Snopes.com. Go to www.freerice.com and if you guess the correct definition for the given word, the place will donate rice to hungry nations. For each word you get correct, they donate 10 grains of rice. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up. I just donated 400 grains.
If you want to read about it, it is in the What's New section on Snopes.
Rice donations aside, it is fun to play the word game and see how well your vocabulary is.

((replay))
Roger Kaputnik
Is your son cooking for Thanksgiving? Being a bit of an amateur cook, I would like to know what he is doing.

((yutz))
Ang
Yes he is, although he doesn't know it yet. wink.gif Tomorrow I plan to do the food shopping and let him prepare the menu. I do know that we're only going to get a turkey breast, but the rest of the food is going to be up to him. We "celebrated" Thanksgiving last Sunday with the whole family since my sis and her fam are going to Loveland, CO to visit her in-laws and my Dad has to work on Thanksgiving. So, it will just be me, my kids and my mom Thursday. I was thinking of going to Montana for the long weekend, but then scored a painting job for Saturday so no trip out of town for me. I'd rather stay here and make a little extra cash.

I'll have him put together a menu tonite and let you know tomorrow what he's planning.

((zealot))
Roger Kaputnik
great

((tax))
Ang
Okay, he's going to season the turkey breast and bake it in a terra-cotta simmer pot that I have. He is going to make mashed potatos-seasoned with garlic and onion, a vegetable medley (all fresh-cut veggies-no frozen or canned), cranberry fruit salad, some side dish made with pasta and tomato juice, and a cherry pie for dessert.
Yum, yum, yum. My belly is growling just thinking about this delicious meal that I don't have to cook!

((xenophobia))
Roger Kaputnik
Could he write up his recipes?

((ax))
Ang
Sure, I'll ask him to do that, but I don't think you'll get them in time for TG. I'm sure they will go well with a Christmas meal, though.

((xanga))--in case you're wondering about that, I am running out of "X" words, so I googled it. No more "X" words for a while please. smile.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Any time is great. In the meantime, I am looking for my recipe for the best lentil soup ever made. Maybe recipes can be a new thread.

((angst)
Ang
That would be a good idea. If anyone can get the recipe for rosemarina soup from Dino's restaurant, I'd greatly appreciate it.

((tommyknocker))
Max Main
Raconteuse
Ang
Okay, we all have them: that hard to buy for person on your Christmas list. The one who you usually buy for last because you really can't think of WHAT to get for them. Well, now you can find the gift you need with ease, never having to leave the comfort of your computer chair!

www.stupid.com has it all.

((existential))
mcstumper
What a great Thanksgiving... how about them COWBOYS!

When are the sports fans here going to start ranting about the Big Ten Network and the NFL Network?

No Dallas-Green Bay game and not nearly enough IU basketball.
Southsider2k12
Its a greed contest between millionaires and billionaires. Its depressing more than anything, but it is the trend. I got to live the Sportsvision experience 20 years ago with the White Sox going to cable, while the Cubs thrived on regular TV. People forget that the Sox actually were the more popular team in Chicago during long stretches of time. The Cable versus WGN divergence was the biggest difference in their current bases. The Cubs were on TV every single day, while you had to pay to see the Sox, in a time when the cable saturation rates were under 50%. It made a difference.

The NFL network is really stupid for the same reason. One of the reasons the NFL is so successful is that there are games on the same days and the same nights every week, and they are always on TV, and easy to find. If they are going to start moving their premier products away from the general viewing audiences they are going to lose the casual fan, much like the White Sox did during the late 1980's.

If you want another case study in TV, look no further than the mess that is the Chicago Blackhawks, and their home blackout history. It will take them years to recover from that mess.
Roger Kaputnik
It has already happened. Look at Monday Night Football: Sunday Night Football is the new MNF because of the big, accessible audience. The NFL is already fractionating (great word, huh?) their audience by adding the Thursday and Saturday games. For a cautionary example, the NFL needs to study the rise and fall of the NHL and NBA.

((loquacious))
Southsider2k12
The NHL is a really good example too. Between canceling the Stanley Cup to a strike, and putting their games on a no-name network that no one has on their cable system, they have been the poster child for how to make a nation forget about their sport.
Ang
NHL. What's that? laugh.gif

((sexy))
Roger Kaputnik
The Big Ten is slicing its own throat by going closed-network. It is hard enough to follow IU, and now it is going to be extra-hard.
JHeath
Why can't they just air the games on the more widely available networks like they used in the "good old days"? laugh.gif

((yodel))
Roger Kaputnik
Ludicrous
Ang
sanity
Roger Kaputnik
Yttrium.
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 5 2007, 08:28 AM) *

Yttrium.

Definition please....

((mustard))
Roger Kaputnik
Element, atomic number 39.

((digastric))
Ang
I was never a fan of science. I think the only reason I passed those classes was cause I had hot teachers who kept my attention. wink.gif

((chump))
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 5 2007, 12:14 PM) *

I was never a fan of science. I think the only reason I passed those classes was cause I had hot teachers who kept my attention. wink.gif
((chump))

((pissant))
Roger Kaputnik
Tax.
Ang
Hey Southsider!

Hippo. Birdie. Two ewes!

Have a wonderful day and I hope you get lots of fun presents from your beloved. wink.gif wink.gif

((xenon))
JHeath
Happy Birthday, SSider!
I'd sing, but you'd really rather that I not do that...trust me. biggrin.gif

((notably))
Southsider2k12
Thanks for the well-wishes gang smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.