Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CBTL: Catch-all Anything thread
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 9 2008, 10:57 AM) *

We received 1.21 inches of rain on the 7th, and 1.62 inches on the 8th. If that had been snow, yikes!

My favorite local weather site:
Weather Underground

They have info from lots of local weather stations, including one at the Beecher, which is about three blocks from my house.

{{deluge}}

Using the usual 10:1 snow to rain translation, we are talking about 2.5 feet of snow ph34r.gif
Ang
Good thing you guys have had warm weather, huh?

((exception))
Roger Kaputnik

still cannot get photos on here. any hints?

((elan))

Ang
Maybe it's not such a good thing you guys have had warm weather....

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=8528

Northern Indiana Flooding Kills 3, Including 2 Kids

By Ken Kusmer
Associated Press

REMINGTON, Ind. - Heavy rain and melting snow pushed Indiana rivers and streams over their banks Tuesday, with floodwaters killing at least three people, including two children in an SUV that plunged into several feet of water.

A mother was driving her five children along a flooded rural road near Rochester when her SUV stalled in the deep water, the Fulton County Sheriff's Department said. The Chevy Tahoe then floated into even deeper water near the city 45 miles south of South Bend.

The driver, 29-year-old Megihann K. Leininger of rural Fulton County, rescued three of her children, ages 3 months to 4 years. But she was unable to get to 5-year-old Shay Leininger and 2-year-old Ashley Pruitt, who died, the sheriff's department said.

Lynn Breeden said she saw the SUV enveloped by water at the intersection and called 911. She said she did not suspect the water was so deep.

"It was flowing really heavy, really fast," said Breeden, a youth pastor at the church the family belongs to. "I looked back over and the car was almost under. It just happened fast."

The rising waters forced hundreds to evacuate and turned dry roads into deadly flash floods in north-central Indiana. Jasper, White, Carroll and Benton counties declared states of emergency.

In Remington, about 55 miles southwest of Rochester, 56-year-old Ronnie D. Napier of Goodland drowned when his truck was swept into Carpenter Creek floodwaters about 4:30 a.m., said Shawn Brown, a conservation officer with the Department of Natural Resources.

"Witnesses ... saw him in the creek and they saw him go underneath the bridge and never saw him again," Brown said.

Karen Wilson, Jasper County Emergency Management director, said up to 150 people were evacuated in Remington and up to 30 homes were affected by water that reached waist-high levels in some places. Between 50 and 60 people were taken to the First Christian Church, many from a mobile home park on the edge of the city.

One of those evacuees, Linda Kleinschmidt, 53, said she, her husband, son and godson were rescued about 3 a.m. from their rented mobile home by sheriff's deputies in a Hummer. Water was rising about 6 inches every half an hour on the steps outside their home, she said.

"They came around pounding on the doors, telling everybody we had to get out because the water was rising," Kleinschmidt said. "It got pretty scary."

A crew from the Indiana Department of Transportation was inspecting a bridge on U.S. 24 east of the city. The road was closed for more than 20 miles between Reynolds and Interstate 65.

"We're concerned about the bridge and roadway under the bridge being undermined, that is, washed out," said INDOT spokesman Joshua Bingham.

Streets in Remington were blocked by standing water, but some places were dry enough for children to throw around a football and a woman to ride a bike.

In White County, rescuers in boats evacuated hundreds of people in Monticello, Blue Water Beach and Diamond Point about 80 miles northwest of Indianapolis, said county emergency management director Gordon Cochran.

Carroll County Emergency Management director Dave McDowell said a couple hundred homes might be flooded but many were unoccupied summer residences.

The weather service reported near-record flooding at the Norway and Oakdale dams just north of Monticello, a city of 5,700 people about 25 miles north of Lafayette.

Just outside of Delphi, waters below the Oakdale dam rose above the tops of cars on both sides of the Tippecanoe River.

"We rescued a couple of people off the roofs of their houses," said Matt Tholen, a DNR conservation officer. "This was the most water I've seen ever."

The weather service said that neither dam was expected to fail but urged residents to closely monitor the situation along the river, which had continued to rise. Officials recommended that all residents south of the Oakdale Dam leave their homes.

INDOT said several highways, including all I-65 southbound lanes in Jasper County, would be closed until floodwaters recede.

Flood warnings were in effect all along the Wabash and Tippecanoe rivers. The American Red Cross had set up shelters in Lafayette and Delphi, and smaller towns along the flood path also had places for residents to go.

The thunderstorms that dumped from 3 to 6 inches of rain were accompanied by record warmth across much of the eastern half of the nation. Several Indiana cities hit record highs in the 60s.

The warmth melted the snow pack, which combined with heavy rain, triggered the flooding, said Phil Gray, a spokesman for the National Weather Service in Indianapolis. He noted that some of the counties that saw the heaviest flooding had as much as 10 inches of snow on the ground.

"That saturated the ground and fills up the small streams just by its melting," he said. "Then excessive rainfall caused the flooding to develop rapidly."

Meanwhile, another storm that pushed into the state from the southwest Tuesday night triggered flash flood warnings for Bloomington and several southern Indiana counties. Flooding from that storm, however, was not nearly as severe, said Sally Pavlow, a meteorologist with the weather service's Indianapolis bureau.
JHeath
Maybe I'm the only one, but I would have been just fine with the snow. We haven't had a really good snow storm in a while...not the kind that shuts down the town, anyway.
Ang
But if that were to happen, the kids would have to go to school until July.
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 9 2008, 12:55 PM) *

There is a silver lining in that cloud though. The kids could be that much more prepared for ISTEP... laugh.gif
Too bad they're moving them to the spring.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 9 2008, 12:55 PM) *

They did finally get rid of all of the extra days off, also this was the first year that the teachers really pushed the way the schedule was done...
CaddyRich
((notify))

Ang
You guys gotta check this out!! This guy is amazing!!! It's a Snopes article, but there are links to other works by this sculptor! If only I had this kind of talent... I would never have to look at another insurance policy again!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/ronmueck.asp

((yahoo))
Dave
I love snopes. I frequently respond to emails with a snopes link when someone sends me nonsensical emails, like the "forward this email to five friends and you'll get a free computer from Bill Gates" type crap. The artist stuff looks pretty neat, but that page almost looks like an ad for the guy. When did snopes start doing that?

{{orange}}
Ang
QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 10 2008, 01:25 PM) *

The artist stuff looks pretty neat, but that page almost looks like an ad for the guy. When did snopes start doing that?

{{orange}}

I'm not sure, but they've had other similar articles in the past. I guess if they get a certain number of requests about it, they'll post it. I love Snopes, too. I read it daily and I've corresponded with Barbara Mikkelson a little over the years. She's a pretty cool lady and really down to earth. If I get anything questionable in my inbox I'll research it on Snopes and reply to the sender with a link if there is one. My favs are the emails that start out, "This is true, it was on Snopes." Usually I find a story there that says it's not true and joyfully reply to the sender with a link.

((echocardiogram))
Ang
Okay, so I went through the drive-through at the liquor store yesterday to get a six of Coor's Light. There was a sign posted in the window that said,

"Winter Facts:

98% of all drivers yell 'Oh Shit!' before they slide off an icy road into a ditch.

The other 2% are from Wyoming and they say, 'Hey! Hold my beer and WATCH THIS!!' "

Oh, and the lady carded me! I was thrilled to death considering I'm 41!. When she gave me back my ID, she said, "You should be real proud of yourself!" I thanked her and said, "I am now."
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 11 2008, 12:33 PM) *

Oh, and the lady carded me! I was thrilled to death considering I'm 41!. When she gave me back my ID, she said, "You should be real proud of yourself!" I thanked her and said, "I am now."

Consider this your (virtual) high-five from me. WTG, Ang! biggrin.gif

((effervescent))
Ang
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jan 11 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Consider this your (virtual) high-five from me. WTG, Ang! biggrin.gif

((effervescent))

Thanks!!

((tachycardia))
CaddyRich
((aviary))
Southsider2k12
The Meijer parking lot and the roads around it might be the scariest places in town to drive right now. Between not having any road striping left anywhere, and the ginormous potholes everywhere, there is no ryhme or reason to what is going on there...
JHeath
What a coincidence--I was thinking the same thing after having visited Menard's and Lowe's last weekend. Who planned that development?
Ang
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jan 14 2008, 08:15 AM) *

What a coincidence--I was thinking the same thing after having visited Menard's and Lowe's last weekend. Who planned that development?

Cindi Walus?
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 14 2008, 10:50 AM) *

Cindi Walus?

laugh.gif
Ang
Did you notice my new avatar? I took this pic a couple days ago. If you look closely and the roofs to the right you can see an example of the wind I've mentioned by how the snow is blowing.

Last year I kept a record of how many days we had without sunshine. I wrote them down on the calendar-only days where there wasn't any sunshine the whole day. Any guesses on how many there were?

((yo-yo))
Roger Kaputnik
Forty-two.

((orthodontist))
JHeath
28?

((torrential))
Ang
Jenny Won!!!

The answer is 27, so she got the closest.

So far this year we haven't had any gloomy all-day days. So far.

I'm IRRITATED!!!!

I've been trying to book my flight and for what-ever stupid reason the card won't go through. I called the bank and they increased my daily spending limit so I can charge the tickets, but the card still won't go through. The airline said they would hold my reservation for 48 hours, so I'll try again tomorrow. Wish me luck with it.

((luckless))
Southsider2k12
So last night, just our block lost power for about 4 hours. The work the company NIPSCO hired to fix the outages after this summers big storm, must have screwed up, because at about 6:30pm the transformer blew. If you want to know what hell is like, try entertaining a 2 year old who is used to creature comforts, without any power!
Roger Kaputnik
sass
Ang
I just want to say that I really like this place. I have been here since the beginning and I am real pleased with the way it's turning out. I want to say Thanks to all of you guys for making CBTL what it is.

((sincerity))
Southsider2k12
I just want to say that I am sick of having to dress like Ralphie's little brother from a Christmas Story, and I will NEVER complain again about it being too hot.
Ang
I can't put my arms down!
CaddyRich
"...My old man worked in profanity the way others worked in oils or clay. He was...a master..."

((yoga))
Southsider2k12
If I ever hear the term "Flash Freeze" again, it will be too soon.
Ang
Don't you mean "Flesh Freeze"?

We had that weather last week. Totally sucked so I can sympathize with you!

((arguement))
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 30 2008, 10:19 AM) *

Don't you mean "Flesh Freeze"?

We had that weather last week. Totally sucked so I can sympathize with you!
((arguement))

The temp in Chicago dropped 50 degrees in 12 hours. I don't ever remember seeing anything like it.
Ang
I saw that on the news this morning. That's just crazy. We didn't have anything like happen here. It's been in the 30's the past couple days and it's supposed to be in the 20's for the rest of this week and into next week. In the western part of the state it's been subzero for weeks and they have tons of snow. There are avalanche warnings at most of the popular ski places in Wyoming and Utah. We're at a lower elevation (5300 above sea level) so we don't have the cold as the western part of the state. Lucky us.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jan 30 2008, 10:28 AM) *

The temp in Chicago dropped 50 degrees in 12 hours. I don't ever remember seeing anything like it.

Here it was more like 50 degrees in six hours. I entered my office at 5:30 p.m., and the temperature gauge in my car ready 51 degrees. At 11:30, it was 1 degree. Incredible.
Ang
I had Popeye's Chicken for lunch. Ever since that place was mentioned here, I've been wanting some. I forget who mentioned it, but it came up in the KFC thread. Anyway, I had a #1 with spicy white meat and cole slaw. Yum, yum.

I picked cole slaw because that makes me think of picnics and summertime, and I AM SO TIRED OF WINTER!!! I needed something to take my mind off it. What better something than cole slaw from Popeye's Chicken?

We got snow today. About 5 inches so far, but it's still coming down out there. It's big fat fluffy flakes and will probably be all melted and gone by tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.
Southsider2k12
Its to the point of winter where I look at the weather forecast and think...

"Man, Texas doesn't sound that bad, does it?"
Ang
I saw a virus warning on Snopes. Click the link to read about it...

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/valentine.asp

I emailed my friends about this virus warning and got the following reply:

MS is concerned about this one, BUT there is another worse one out there:

Mega-D has replaced Storm Worm as the most prolific spam botnet. It is delivering 30 percent more spam than Storm Worm. Microsoft and other companies have been targeting Storm Worm due to media attention. But so far Mega-D has flown under the media’s radar.

Southsider2k12
Well thankfully this last storm missed us. I heard on the news about people stuck on the interstates in Wisconsin, so we really got lucky.
Ang
We got nailed with a surprise storm yesterday. We were supposed to have sunny skies, mild winds, and temps in the upper 30's. What we got was 5 more inches of wet, heavy, slushy, slippery snow, 30-40 mph sustained winds, visibility was about a block and the temps dropped into the mid 20's. Ick!!

Calgon!! Take me away........
RexKickass
In Asbury Park, NJ we got our first actual snow in two years this week. About three inches, which basically finished melting today. We have had one ice storm last week which ended in me breaking my tailbone, falling down a flight of ice coated stairs, and three ice storms last year.
Southsider2k12
This winter has been like one big long Groundhog's Day. We have been in the same cycle for months now.

Snow
Cold
Warm Up
Melt

Repeat
JHeath
laugh.gif It's almost like the directions on the back of a shampoo bottle.
Southsider2k12
And it feels like we are living life in a snowglobe. What do we have about a foot of snow on the ground now? Ugh.
Ang
My flight was delayed an hour yesterday, they had to de-ice the plane twice before we could take off! When I got to Denver, the sun was shining, it was 45 degrees and I was glad to be back!
Driving to O'Hare was a nightmare! At least the traffic was moving pretty steady, all be it slow, and I was able to get to the airport with plenty of time to spare.
Dave
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Feb 27 2008, 07:17 AM) *

And it feels like we are living life in a snowglobe. What do we have about a foot of snow on the ground now? Ugh.

Ya know, having your town in the news isn't always a good thing, and when it's happening on the Weather Channel, it's never a good thing!

Winds from the north, lake effect snow, Laporte and MC getting nailed. What they call a lake effect "plume." What I call "the Finger of God." As to which of God's fingers, I'll give you one guess....

My snowblower is getting a serious tune up this spring, and new parts. Durn thing is earning its keep this year.
Southsider2k12
I think I am going to do my part to make sure that it quits snowing this year. I am going to go look to buy a snowblower! I'll drop that money, and it will never snow again!
Marram
It's so hard being a teacher with all of these darned snow days. tongue.gif
Dave
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Feb 27 2008, 01:57 PM) *

I think I am going to do my part to make sure that it quits snowing this year. I am going to go look to buy a snowblower! I'll drop that money, and it will never snow again!

Your turn. I already did my part. After that big snow three years ago (29 inches, I seem to recall), I nearly stroked out trying to get my little snowblower running. I gave up, went down to Lowe's, shelled out about a week's pay on a Troy-bilt with electric start, and the big snows stayed away for about two years.

I might have to take the blower in for service tomorrow. The self-propell isn't propelling, and the durn thing weighs about 150 pounds.
Ang
Today in Casper, Wyoming the sun is shining, the wind isn't blowing, and the high is supposed to be 50.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.