Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CBTL: Catch-all Anything thread
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Ang
OK, I will NOT buy a car from Bozak just for that stupid commercial. Tom----please call them and tell them they need to come up with something new. Maybe he could take a lesson from Hirsch, their commercials are dry, but at least not annoying.
Tom Burns
QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 11 2010, 02:10 PM) *

OK, I will NOT buy a car from Bozak just for that stupid commercial. Tom----please call them

I made that very point the first time I heard it.

Joe and later Dennis Hirsch were/are brilliant auto marketers. And I bet you did not know my father had been a Ford dealer, too? I appreciate good auto marketing.

But if you really want to experience bad, in another of our markets a L-M dealer thought putting his son in a truck of a new car was cleaver marketing. But the all time worst was the line used by a Saint Louis dealer: "Come on down and let our salemen take you for a ride."

If a car dealer will let us create the entire ad, no gimmicks, no sound effects, no
attempt to be funny, and knows how to honestly price cars, he will sweep every vehicle from his lot.
Ang
QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Aug 11 2010, 05:43 PM) *

If a car dealer will let us create the entire ad, no gimmicks, no sound effects, no
attempt to be funny, and knows how to honestly price cars, he will sweep every vehicle from his lot.

Which could be why Hirsch has been around for so long and been so successful. I've never been a "Ford Person," stuck mostly with Chevy, but I'm going to be trading my car in pretty soon and will go to Hirsch first before I look anywhere else.
Southsider2k12
CNBC just flashed the stat that a child born to middle class parents is expected to have an average of $286,050 spent on it by age 17. That does NOT include college. A family with two kids is expected to cost $600,000 during the same time period.
Tom Burns
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 12 2010, 09:54 AM) *

CNBC just flashed the stat that a child born to middle class parents is expected to have an average of $286,050 spent on it by age 17. That does NOT include college. A family with two kids is expected to cost $600,000 during the same time period.

Does that include the cost of education paid for by taxes? If not that looks a bit high.
Southsider2k12
Here is the original article that I found

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdaho...010/06/0312.xml

Release No. 0312.10
USDA Office of Communications (202) 720-4623
A Child Born in 2009 Will Cost $222,360 to Raise According to USDA Report

WASHINGTON, June 9, 2010 -- Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today released USDA's new annual report, Expenditures on Children by Families, which finds that a middle-income family with a child born in 2009 can expect to spend about $222,360 ($286,050 if inflation is factored in) for food, shelter, and other necessities to raise that child over the next 17 years. This represents less than a 1 percent increase from 2008, the smallest increase this decade, which likely reflects the state of the economy. Expenses for child care, education, and health care saw the largest percentage increases related to child rearing from 2008, whereas expenses on transportation actually declined. This decline in transportation expenses on a child mitigated the increases in the other expenses.

This report, issued annually since 1960, is a valuable resource to courts and state governments in determining child support guidelines and foster care payments. For 2009, per child annual child-rearing expenses for a middle-income, two-parent family ranges from $11,650 to $13,530, depending on the age of the child.

The report by USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion notes that family income affects child rearing costs. A family earning less than $56,670 per year can expect to spend a total of $160,410 (in 2009 dollars) on a child from birth through high school. Parents with an income between $56,670 and $98,120 can expect to spend $222,360 and a family earning more than $98,120 can expect to spend $369,360. In 1960, a middle-income family could have expected to spend $25,230 ($182,860 in 2009 dollars) to raise a child through age 17.

Housing costs are the single largest expenditure on a child, averaging $70,020 or 31 percent of the total cost over 17 years. Child care and education (for those with the expense) and food were the next two largest expenses, accounting for 17 and 16 percent of the total expenditure. The estimates do not include the costs associated with pregnancy or the cost of a college education. In addition, some current-day costs, such as child care, were negligible in 1960.

The report notes geographic variations in the cost of raising a child, with expenses the highest for families living in the urban Northeast, followed by the urban West and urban Midwest. Families living in the urban South and rural areas have the lowest child-rearing expenses.

One bright spot is that expenses per child decrease as a family has more children. Families with three or more children spend 22 percent less per child than families with two children. As families have more children, the children can share a bedroom, clothing and toys can be handed down to younger children, food can be purchased in larger and more economical packages, and private schools or child care centers may offer sibling discounts.

The full report, Expenditures on Children by Families (2009), is available on the web at www.cnpp.usda.gov.

#

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., S. W., Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TTD).
Ang
Happy Birthday to Craig1971!!! I hope your birthday is filled with lots of air conditioning!!!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 13 2010, 03:00 PM) *

Happy Birthday to Craig1971!!! I hope your birthday is filled with lots of air conditioning!!!

If it is, it is of the Lake Michigan variety. Happy Birthday Craig!
Southsider2k12
We have not had a high temp under 80 degrees since before July 1st.
Ang
Happy Birthday to Phil and Dawn!! (Oooo....TWO birthdays today!)

I hope your days are filled with love, happines, and no rip-tides!
Ang
Ok, I had nothing to do with the dedication that just went out on WEFM, just in case anyone was wondering....
Ang
Happy Birthday BioTeach!! I hope your birthday is filled with lots of happy well-behaved students!!

Oh, and cake! Mike, make sure she gets cake! biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
Goupon is offering half of memberships of the Museum of Science and Industry. These are awesome prices especially if you have kids!

$55 will get you a family membership which includes all of your kids, two adults, plus a guest. This is usually $115.
Southsider2k12
So today was about the closest I have ever been to understanding how people lose control and go crazy.

I had a doctor tell me honestly today that despite not being able to tell me what happened to my mother, what caused it, why she was recovering, or if it could happen again, that my mom got the best possible care she could get and the doctor refused to give a referral to another doctor for a second opinion. This was my mom who worked an eight hour shift one day, and then the next was in a mode where he didn't know her name, where she worked, where she lived, or just about anything relevant in her life. Somehow I am just supposed to accept that answer. AAAAAAAAAAAARRGHHHHH.
Southsider2k12
So eating at a local establishment I heard one of the things I detest most in the world... that ominous clapping that lets you know the trite birthday song is about to start. As the restaraunts staff got to the proper table there was one problem, the birthday song's intended recipient wasn't at the table. He was at the buffet. laugh.gif
Ang
Saw on GMA this morning that legislators in MI are trying to impose a 3-day jail sentence for parents who blatantly ignore Parent/Teacher conferences. They said it would only be for parents whose children are doing poorly or are at risk of failure. Thoughts?
Ang
Just heard the tail end of a news story on WEFM about something being one of the worse domestic violence cases he's (some police officer) has ever seen. Didn't catch the beginning. Does anyone know what they were talking about?
bandaid19
QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 2 2010, 02:22 PM) *

Just heard the tail end of a news story on your WEFM about something being one of the worse domestic violence cases he's (some police officer) has ever seen. Didn't catch the beginning. Does anyone know what they were talking about?

This, perhaps? Very sad...

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...23606967164.txt
MichiganCityDDS
Like so many cases, it does not come out of the blue.
Ang
biggrin.gif Ha! Haaaaa!!!!

I'm on the cover of the Herald-Argus today!

LaLaLaLaLaaaa

biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
Did you get arrested again? laugh.gif
Ang
ninja.gif Ssshhhhh....... ninja.gif

No, seriously...
The Silvermoon Dancers performed at the Samaritan Swing, which was a fundraiser at Heston Hills to raise money for the Samaritan Counseling Center.
Southsider2k12
I might be the only who appreciates this, but yeah for nerd humor!

Southsider2k12
True fact. Michigan City Indiana would be the fifth largest city in Qatar. It doesn't even rank in the top 10 of Indiana...

Qatar is where the 2022 World Cup is going to be.
Ang
Does anyone know of a radio station that is playing all Christmas music right now?
MichiganCityDDS
there is one from chicago...94 point something?
eric.hanke
QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 6 2010, 11:12 AM) *
Does anyone know of a radio station that is playing all Christmas music right now?

Are you really ready for 24 x 7 Christmas music?

MichiganCityDDS
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Dec 1 2010, 12:52 PM) *
I might be the only who appreciates this, but yeah for nerd humor!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gBrHkxqNT7s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gBrHkxqNT7s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You are not alone! It kind of reminds me of the neoCons who were complaining that the President took his vacation out of the US...when he went to Hawaii. I am a little proud that the White House reposted my twitter post on this!
Ang
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Dec 6 2010, 11:22 AM) *

Are you really ready for 24 x 7 Christmas music?

I want to play it in my office. WEFM is doing ok, but I need a change of pace....
Ang
I just noticed that we increased our "most users online at once" number yesterday to 409! WOW!!!
Ang
Ssshhh.....

did you hear that?

It was the sound of a pin dropping, this place is so quiet......

wacko.gif
Ang
I just heard thunder!!
Dave
QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 31 2010, 08:35 AM) *

I just heard thunder!!

I heard it too!

I've been walking dogs in the rain. The advantage of rain over snow is that it is self-shoveling.
Dave
First post of 2011!!!!
taxthedeer
QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 1 2011, 12:46 AM) *

First post of 2011!!!!

Time for Michael Gresham to change his screen name to southsiderMMXI
Ang
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE W!!

May your birthday be warm and sunny, with no remnants of a New Year's hangover.
Ang
Just sayin' hi to everybody!! Nobody's been posting lately, so I just want everyone to know I miss you all!! wink.gif
MichiganCityDDS
Loo Dobbs is making me sick. So smarmy, so sarcastic, so smooth-cortexed.
Dave
I just discovered I have to keep changing my profile to maintain my 39 year old status.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 29 2011, 11:15 AM) *

I just discovered I have to keep changing my profile to maintain my 39 year old status.

Happy Belated Dave, hope it was a good one!
Ang
Gee, I missed it! Sorry Dave. Guess that's what happens when you have a birthday on the weekend when I'm not around. wink.gif Hope it was a Happy 39th--again.
Ang
Happy Birthday to the Mikester! I hope your day is awesome!
Ang
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...8d019983151.txt

Recycling update given

Published: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:07 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Recycling pickup will run as scheduled Monday, although Solid Waste District offices will be closed in observance of Presidents Day.

Have recycling containers to the curb by 6 a.m. to ensure proper pickup.
Ang
Is it time for the property tax assessors to go door to door for reassessments?
IndyTransplant
QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 15 2011, 03:44 PM) *
Is it time for the property tax assessors to go door to door for reassessments?

Why, has someone shown up at your door? Call the tax assessors office and ask. I don't think that is happening here right now, but it could be. Best to check.

They changed the law/regulation a few years ago so assessments for a certain year are based on valuations from January 1 of the year prior (they used to be from valuations as much as 3 years prior, but thy did not re-assess so often). For example: taxes payable in the year 2012 are assessed at a valuation of the home/business, etc as of January 1, 2011. In Indiana, we basically pay a year behind.

Ang
No, someone was walking around my boyfriend's house & yard in LaPorte and said they were from the assessor's office.
Ang
Happy Birthday to Dusk! I hope your day is filled with light! at least you get warm sunshine today!

You haven't posted in while, I hope you didn't get mad and go away....
Southsider2k12
Happy Birthday Taxthedeer! Hope it is a good one!
taxthedeer
QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Apr 22 2011, 05:00 PM) *

Happy Birthday Taxthedeer! Hope it is a good one!

Thanks you, of course you can all guess where I ate my breakfast yesterday morning.

Last year I shared that I was born during a very unique period in American pop culture. "Age of Aquaious/Let The Sunshine In" from the musical hair by the 5th Dimension was the #1 song (I've always had a big crush for Marilyn McCoo, see still looks really good even at age 67.) John Lennon legally changed his name to John Ono Lennon atop the Apple recording studio in England, I guess Lennon had a notion that it isn't right that only the woman should take the man's name when married so he decided to share Yoko Ono's name as well. Other cool celebrities that share their a birthday with me are legenmdary rock star Peter Frampton, country music great Glenn Campbell and Ocsar award winning actor Jack Nicholson.

Here's some more facts about April 22, 1969. World Series Champions: Detroit Tigers led by Hall of Famer Al Kaline. Super Bowl Champions: New York Jets (Super Bowl III) (QB Broadway Joe Namath guaranteed a Jets victory), NBA champions: Boston Celtics (#10 for Bill Russell and his crew), Stanley Cup Champions were the Habs (AKA: Montreal Canadians). Also the Chicago Cubs were embarking on what turned out to be one of their most gutwrenching seasons in team history and finally Coach Doug Adams had recently led the Michigan City Elston Red Devils boys basketball team to their 18th straight sectional title in a row (the streak would end at an amazing 25 in 1975).
Ang
**sniff, sniff** Where is everybody. I feel so alone..... *sniff, sniff*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.