Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Palombizio going to IN basketball Hall of Fame
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
Southsider2k12
http://www.nwitimes.com/high-school/michig...1f4956f9e9.html

Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame

2013 Men's Induction Class

Phil Dawkins, E.C. Washington, 1960

Dan Palombizio, M.C. Rogers, 1981

Bob Heady, Frankton, 1960

LaVern Benson, Indpls. Crispus Attucks, 1958

Gene Demaree, New Marion, 1961

Chuck Franz, Clarksville, 1979

Scott Haffner, Noblesville, 1984

James Master, Harding, 1980

Carl Meditch, Indpls. Arsenal Tech, 1955

Alan Nass, Huntingburg, 1959

Bill "Fig" Newton, Rockville, 1968

Dick Piper, Chester Township, 1948

Robert Rousey, Anderson, 1949

Chad Tucker, Cloverdale, 1983

Date: March 20, Primo Banquet Hall, Indianapolis

Contact: Call the Hall at 765-529-1891 or email info@hoopshall.com

Dan Palombizio made Russell Westbrook look like a wallflower.

The 1981 Indiana Mr. Basketball, a Michigan City Rogers legend, never met a shot he didn't like, good or bad.

Palombizio was Instant Offense, no mixing or stirring required.

The Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame announced Monday that the 6-foot-8 forward is among its 2013 induction class this March.

Locally, former Griffith boys coach Bob Heady and E.C. Washington/Purdue standout Phil Dawkins also will be inducted.

"I'm surprised to get in at this young of an age," Palombizio said. "I've been told you usually don't get in until you're around 55 or 60. I was kinda shocked, but very thankful.

"This closes a chapter on something I worked on all my life -- to be in the high school hall of fame."

Based on his accomplishments, it was a no brainer.

"If you look back at it, there was no 3-pointer, even in my college career, and I was a good outside shooter," Palombizio said. "Think about how many more points the Harden brothers (Rob, Roger), Delray Brooks and I would've had in our careers, plus our averages."

Palombizio's game had some balance, too.

"I had 2,092 points (at MC Rogers) but I also had close to 1,400 rebounds. That's something you don't see," Palombizio said. "I led the state in rebounding my junior and senior year and I was in the top 10 my sophomore year.

"I averaged 10 rebounds my freshman year, 13 my sophomore, 15 my junior and 17 my senior year."

Palombizio was a rare three-time First-Team all-state selection at Rogers, a McDonald's All-American, and an Indiana All-Star.

He earned a scholarship to Purdue, stayed there two seasons, then transferred to Ball State because Boilermakers' coach Gene Keady wanted him to be a role player.

"I'm not a role player. I was a scorer in high school and I expected to be a scorer in college," said Palombizio, who chose BSU when MC Rogers coach Bill Hahn was hired there as an assistant.

"A lot of people saw how hard Dan played, how he went in there and got rebounds," said Hahn, now retired. "He wanted what was best for the team and with our (Michigan City) team, the best was getting him the ball.

"He and (BSU great) Ray McCollum were the hardest-working players I had ever been around in 30 years of coaching."

Palombizio was near-unstoppable at Ball State.

During three Mid-American Conference Tournament wins in March of 1986, he shot 24-of-38 from the field, 25-of-30 at the line, and had 33 rebounds as the Cardinals earned an NCAA postseason bid.

After college, Palombizio played overseas and also had NBA tryouts with the 76ers, Timberwolves and Celtics.

"I was a journeyman," he said. "I don't think I could've been a great pro player, but with the expansion teams they have now and the need for shooters, I could've been on somebody's bench."

Dawkins, 71 and now living in Huntington Beach, Calif., is a former Indiana All-Star and was a three-year starter for coach Ray Eddy at Purdue.

"I would've thought (HOF induction) would have happened a long time ago considering back then, we had only one class and one state title," said team captain Dawkins, who joined Ron Divjak and Bobby Cantrell in leading the Senators to the 1960 championship over Muncie Central and star Ron Bonham, 75-59.

"It's really satisfying though, given Indiana's reputation for basketball and all the super players already in the Hall."

Bob Heady scored more than 1,100 points at Frankton High School before embarking on a 383-win head coaching career at Griffith (1969-1973), Wawasee, Shenandoah and Carmel.

He won only Griffith's second sectional in '73.
taxthedeer
Congratulations Dan.

He will join Michigan City Elston coach Doug Adams and Vernon Payne (Elston '64) in the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.

http://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/doug...ry=name.eq.Doug Adams&xsearch_id=HallofFame_Last_Name&xsearch[0]=Doug Adams&back=HallofFame

http://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/vern...sc1.eq.Michigan City Elston&xsearch_id=HallofFame_Highschool&xsearch[0]=Michigan City Elston&back=HallofFame

Really cool poster featuring the Indiana Mr. Basketball's and state champs from 1911-1997, top left corner of the poster features the likeness of Dan Palombizo, Delray Brooks and Charles Macon and recognizes the 1966 Elston state champs.

http://www.hoopshall.com/products/hoosier-...h_2&xsearch[0]=Posters&back=products
taxthedeer
Dan Palombizo's Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame Bio:

http://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/dan-...back=HallofFame
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.