Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Michigan City Wolves Basketball Star Keenan Simmons
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
taxthedeer
Keenan Simmons 6'6" from Michigan City HS selected to participate in 11th annual IBCA/IHSAA Top 100 Showcase in Indy. Congrats Keenan!
taxthedeer
Keenan Simmons picks up an offer from D2 St. Leo in Florida
Southsider2k12
Also sounds like D1 Southern Illinois Edwardsville
Jesse B
Is anyone else from the MC basketball team or Marquette team getting offers?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Jesse B @ Aug 22 2013, 01:55 PM) *

Is anyone else from the MC basketball team or Marquette team getting offers?

Keenan Simmons has at least one D1 offer. Don't know about MQT.
taxthedeer
Congrats to Keenan on a verbal commitment to SIU Edwardsville D1 great job!
Southsider2k12
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/222793...ay-at-siue.html

Michigan City’s Keenan Simmons commits to play at SIUE

STAFF REPORT August 31, 2013 11:24PM

Updated: September 1, 2013 2:03AM

Keenan Simmons of Michigan City gave a verbal commitment to play basketball at Southern Illinois Edwardsville, according to Michigan City coach John Boyd.

The 6-7 forward for the Wolves averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks per game.

Simmons had interest from Ball State and UIC but he wanted to make his decision before the season started, Boyd said.

Simmons said he decided to commit because he liked “everything about the campus, the coaches and the team.”
Southsider2k12
http://www.nwitimes.com/conferences/dunela...36cc60179e.html

Steve Hanlon steve.hanlon@nwi.com, (219) 933-4198
Most of Northwest Indiana understands the strength and athleticism that is a big part of Michigan City's Anthony Simmons' game.

The 6-foot-6 standout has turned heads for several years.

But after this school year, hoop fans in another state and metropolitan area will witness it first hand.

Simmons gave his verbal commitment to Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on Saturday. The campus is just a few minutes over the river from St. Louis.

"They were about the third or fourth school to start recruiting me," Simmons said. "It wasn't until this summer. I went down there. They have a beautiful campus. I like the coaches and the players.

"I knew that was where I was supposed to be."

Simmons averaged 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Wolves last winter. He was also being recruited by Georgia State and Ball State, but SIU-E jumped ahead of all the others with an offer this summer.

City coach John Boyd had several D-I players when he was at West Side. Simmons is his first at Michigan City.

"They said I bring a lot of energy," Simmons said. "They said I am very athletic. They said the little things I do impressed them."

Simmons will likely play the 3 or 4 at the Ohio Valley Conference school. He plans on majoring in business and political science. He plans on owning his own international business after college.
Southsider2k12
Continuing the proud tradition of talented basketball players coming out of Michigan City, I sat down with the latest Division 1 NCAA signee to come from City, Anthony "Keenan" Simmons. This will be Keenan's 4th year on the MCHS varsity team. He recently made a verbal commitment to Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. In his Junior year, Simmons averaged 14 points a game, but that wasn't nearly the most impressive number. He led the DAC with 11 rebounds and nearly 6 blocks per game. Plus he also managed just under 2 steals per game. Past that the young man is also carrying about an A average GPA. If you haven't already, meet Keenan Simmons...

CBTL-What does it mean to you to be verbally committed to Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville?

Simmons-It means a lot to me to be committed to SIUE. Playing on the Division 1 level is a blessing! It has always been a dream for me to play at that level and now I am... it is amazing!

CBTL-How did you finally decide on SIUE, over the others schools that pursued you?

Simmons-I decided to choose SIUE over the other schools because; I was just blown away by the good atmosphere of the campus, faculty, coaching staff, teammates, etc. I really felt like they were family right then and there! It blew me away.

CBTL-What are your goals for your senior year?

Simmons-My main goal for this year is to become a very good leader for this team. As you know I've been playing on the Varsity level since my freshman year and looking up to the seniors and how they carried themselves really prepared me to become a good leader for this team, so now it is here and us seniors have to step up to the plate! Go Wolves!!

CBTL-What is the most important thing you have learned from playing basketball for MCHS and Coach Boyd?

Simmons-The most important thing that I have learned from playing basketball under Coach Boyd is to be a stand-up guy by treating people with respect and carrying yourself in a good manner. He is training all of us to become better people and preparing us to go out into the world. He is a great person, I love him; he taught me a lot!!
Southsider2k12
The second half of the interview is with City head coach John Boyd

CBTL--This is the first player you have had at Michigan City High School who has committed to a Division 1 NCAA program, what does this mean to the MCHS basketball program?

Boyd-First of all it is an honor to be able to coach students at MCHS. The opportunity to become a high level athlete is certainly achievable at MCHS through hardwork, determination and and a faithful belief system. Observing the committment that Keenan made to accomplish one of his many goals is a treat and certifies MCHS's basketball system as a legitimate D1 system/program.

CBTL-Keenan has been a big part of this team since his freshman year with his on the court game, share with us what kind of leadership you are going to be asking of him with this team his senior year?

Boyd-We have a very young team returning with the majority of our players juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Keenan and Lucas Daurer will be in charge of getting our young players acclimated to our system and pushing them to be the best on and off the court.

CBTL--What are you expectations for Simmons this year?

Boyd-The expectation for Keenan is the same every year...To continue to get better on and off the court and stay consistent in his abilities. Understanding that each day in his life is significant and impacting to many. Go and represent the Wolves nation!

CBTL-We all know in the history of Michigan City basketball, Elston had a streak of decades straight winning their sectional title. Since consolidation the Wolves haven't been able to get that done yet, despite coming close two years ago against Merrillville. Is this the year?

Boyd-I personally don't make predictions but do allow my players to show our committment to our community through our play on the court. To be continued.......
taxthedeer
Rosters came out for the Indiana North/South All-Star game. Keenan did not make it.

Only player from Northwest Indiana is Tyler Wideman from Lake Central.

None from Marquette or Bowman Academy which are in the state finals and none from Northwest Indiana on the girls side.

Keenan might possibly be chosen as an Indiana All-Star as an alternate.

North

Micah Bullock, Barr-Reeve

Eric Davidson, Hamilton Southeastern

Grant Evans, Wapahani

Jordan Furlow, Speedway

Bryce Lienhoop, Columbus East

Mack Mercer, Plymouth

Devon Merder,, Heritage Hills

Chaz Schneider, Brownstown Central

Grant Sims, Bloomington North

Troy Spears, Martinsville

Tyler Wideman,, Lake Central

Colton Wilder, Princeton

South

Keaton Hendricks,, Bloomington South

Jacob Johnson,, Mooresville

Kourtlandt Martin, Evansville Central

Bryant McIntosh,, Greensburg

Cayman Meier, , Castle

Avory Mickens, , Vincennes Lincoln

Sean Sellers,, Greensburg

Josh Sprinkle,, Vincennes Lincoln

Zach Templin,, Vincennes Rivet

P.J. Thompson, , Brebeuf Jesuit

Elliott Welmer,, Columbus North

Brooks Weszely, , Sullivan

Girls

North

Kirstin Alexander, Cathedral;

Kayla Brown, Westfield;

Sydney Buck, Homestead;

Mackenzie Campbell, Rushville;

Haley Cook, Hamilton Heights;

Kindell Fincher, Fort Wayne Canterbury;

Emily Harrison, Western Boone;

Whitney Jennings, Logansport;

Kellie Kirkhoff, Roncalli;

Ana Owens, Lawrence North;

Adrienne Pritchard, Terre Haute North;

Destiny Washington, Lawrence North.

South

Chelsea Bentley, Anderson;

Allyson Bunch, Columbus East;

Sammy Dillman, Bedford North Lawrence;

Bailey Dreiman, Vincennes Rivet;

Tayler Goodall, Columbus North;

Maria Gugliotta, North Knox;

Lauren Herman, Vincennes Rivet;

Ally Hunsinger, Washington;

Erica Moore, Mount Vernon;

Maura Muensterman, Evansville Mater Dei;

Allison Nash, Speedway;

Alicia Wilson, Owen Valley.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.