Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bob "Bear" Fall retiring as MCHS Athletic Director
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
taxthedeer
Just heard that Bear Falls is going to retire as our A.D.

I've known Bear ever since I moved here and was always one of the nicest and classiest guys I know in Michigan City.

I want to wish him a long and happy retirement and thank him for all his years of service at our schools.
Southsider2k12
Is it for real this time?
taxthedeer
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Dec 18 2013, 12:34 PM) *

Is it for real this time?

I just heard Ron Miller on WEFM report that he submitted his retirement at the school board meeting last night.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Dec 18 2013, 12:41 PM) *

I just heard Ron Miller on WEFM report that he submitted his retirement at the school board meeting last night.

Good for him. Hopefully he enjoys it.

It will be interesting to see who takes over.
sunny
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Dec 18 2013, 03:18 PM) *

Heard they (MCAS School Board) want to go outside of the school system. Good luck with that...
taxthedeer
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Dec 18 2013, 02:18 PM) *

Falls made some excellent hires during his tenure as A.D. At one point in time he had a stable of coaches that included Craig Buzea, John Boyd and Mike Megyese all under the same roof at once. He also made a couple of rotten one he probably regrets like Bob Bushcher and Eric Schrieber.
backwoods
QUOTE(sunny @ Dec 18 2013, 03:09 PM) *

Heard they (MCAS School Board) want to go outside of the school system. Good luck with that...

With the School System having to cut Multi Millions out of the budjet, mostly coming from salary positions, I don't see how they can go outside for a hire and then lay off teachers within the system. But I will say this, anything is possible.
Southsider2k12
With Karpinski as an Assistant, I wonder if he takes it over, and drops football?
sunny
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 19 2013, 11:30 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I would bet money one that. I think that has been the plan all along. I would wonder who would be the next FB coach if that happened. I don't know if they have a teacher/coach on the staff if that is a necessary requirement now. Rumors I have heard are Jr High coach Summers would be considered along with former and current Pop Warner HC Martorano and Fiske. I can't believe the money would available to go outside and get more gems like Buzea and Karpinski
[/quote]
Are we serious???? Do we really believe MC High School or any high school for that matter would hire a Pop Warner coach to be a head coach for their teams??? We would be the laughing stock of Northwest Indiana football if we would hire a Pop Warner coach. Look around at other high schools in the area and you'll see that they have hired coaches with high school experience. Not some dad that coaches on the weekends. I would think that these Pop Warner coaches have "other" jobs that they have to report to? Don't know what Mr. Summers or Martorano do for a living but I don't believe they would have enough time to dedicate to football and still support their families? Head football coaches only make about $15K a year. That's why they teach or become administrators within the school system. Coaching HS football is not a "part time" job. Our Pop Warner teams have been successful but the success has not carried over to the high school level. These coaches may have had some success in Pop Warner, but remember, there are no older lighters in high school.
Ang
Well, I doubt the teacher's union would allow them to recruit outside of our district. And you don't have to be a former coach to be an AD. It helps, but you really don't need a background in sports at all. All you have to do is be a good manager, and get along well with the public, because that who the AD position serves.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(sunny @ Dec 19 2013, 12:27 PM) *

Are we serious???? Do we really believe MC High School or any high school for that matter would hire a Pop Warner coach to be a head coach for their teams??? We would be the laughing stock of Northwest Indiana football if we would hire a Pop Warner coach. Look around at other high schools in the area and you'll see that they have hired coaches with high school experience. Not some dad that coaches on the weekends. I would think that these Pop Warner coaches have "other" jobs that they have to report to? Don't know what Mr. Summers or Martorano do for a living but I don't believe they would have enough time to dedicate to football and still support their families? Head football coaches only make about $15K a year. That's why they teach or become administrators within the school system. Coaching HS football is not a "part time" job. Our Pop Warner teams have been successful but the success has not carried over to the high school level. These coaches may have had some success in Pop Warner, but remember, there are no older lighters in high school.

Ordinarily, sure. But with the looming cuts, if the system could hire a coach without having to offer a teaching position, that is a huge win for the school district, as it keeps around another current teacher.

At the end of the day I am sure the odds are miniscule of it actually happening though.
JohnnyCakes
QUOTE(sunny @ Dec 19 2013, 12:27 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 19 2013, 11:30 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I would bet money one that. I think that has been the plan all along. I would wonder who would be the next FB coach if that happened. I don't know if they have a teacher/coach on the staff if that is a necessary requirement now. Rumors I have heard are Jr High coach Summers would be considered along with former and current Pop Warner HC Martorano and Fiske. I can't believe the money would available to go outside and get more gems like Buzea and Karpinski

You can forget about Martarano and Fisk, they both make well over six figure salaries and are not interested in the MC debacle. The obvious choice is clear as a bell but some people in this community would have to learn how to play nice with others and bury the hatchet!

Southsider2k12
Who are your saying should be the next coach?
backwoods
I don't want to talk about anyone in a negative light, but JohnnyCakes, I know who you are talking about and that would never happen. This person you say that is clear as a bell has too much baggage, no middle school or high school experience in coaching (and please don't say look what he has done when he was with Pop Warner because it is not the same). Now I will say that he may be ok at the freshman level to start. Get some experience and go to a position coach. But then you still have the baggage issues and those are following him around like flies on you know what. I have never had issues with this person, but as you say yourself, I can't see them playing nice together. Just a very polarizing person for many in this town for whatever the reason.

What I do find strange is Your Screen Name, who was also a character on the Sopranos HBO Show and ironically what this clear as a bell person got into a situation with “allegedly” making comments to others about.
Ang
I'm confused...
I thought this thread was about a new AD at MCHS, not a coach.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 20 2013, 12:43 PM) *

I'm confused...
I thought this thread was about a new AD at MCHS, not a coach.

My theory is that the current football coach, who is also an Assistant AD, would take over as AD, and then hire a new football coach. That is what started that conversation.
Ang
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Dec 20 2013, 01:56 PM) *

My theory is that the current football coach, who is also an Assistant AD, would take over as AD, and then hire a new football coach. That is what started that conversation.

Aahh...

Guess I missed that. Thanks.
sunny
QUOTE(backwoods @ Dec 19 2013, 10:54 PM) *

I don't want to talk about anyone in a negative light, but JohnnyCakes, I know who you are talking about and that would never happen. This person you say that is clear as a bell has too much baggage, no middle school or high school experience in coaching (and please don't say look what he has done when he was with Pop Warner because it is not the same). Now I will say that he may be ok at the freshman level to start. Get some experience and go to a position coach. But then you still have the baggage issues and those are following him around like flies on you know what. I have never had issues with this person, but as you say yourself, I can't see them playing nice together. Just a very polarizing person for many in this town for whatever the reason.

What I do find strange is Your Screen Name, who was also a character on the Sopranos HBO Show and ironically what this clear as a bell person got into a situation with “allegedly” making comments to others about.

LOL...C'mon, I can't believe we would even consider this person as "an obvious choice." If anybody is not the "obvious choice" to be coaching at the HS, it would be this guy. Like "backwoods" has stated...WAY, WAY, WAY, to much baggage!!! I was a cheer mom in Pop Warner when he "screwed" over a number of MC Pop Warner boys. Believe me, these parents are not about to "bury the hatchet." They are not willing to "play nice" after he left our kids high and dry with no where to play football. Parents remember these things... I believe his history tells a story. I have one nephew that will play on the varsity and 2 nephews that will probably be on JV next year. I can guarantee you a number of kids would not participate in football if he was their coach. There is also a number of parents that would not want this "man" (?) coaching their kids. My daughters are not in the MCAS system but I keep in touch with a number of former "cheer moms." I have talked with them about this very issue a number of times. No way do they want him around their kids. I am also told by parents how he and his wife are always at the MCHS trying to finagle their way into things. I would think that the MCAS school system and school board would be very reluctant to hire him as well for fear of legal issues. I don't want to talk about anybody in a negative light as well, but surely there are some HS coaches or assistant HS coaches that would love to have the opportunity to coach in the DAC. I don't believe we really need to stoop to this level. The original thread I believe was who will be the new AD. Whoever said Karpinski will not be coaching for MC next year?
JohnnyCakes
QUOTE(sunny @ Dec 20 2013, 06:47 PM) *

LOL...C'mon, I can't believe we would even consider this person as "an obvious choice." If anybody is not the "obvious choice" to be coaching at the HS, it would be this guy. Like "backwoods" has stated...WAY, WAY, WAY, to much baggage!!! I was a cheer mom in Pop Warner when he "screwed" over a number of MC Pop Warner boys. Believe me, these parents are not about to "bury the hatchet." They are not willing to "play nice" after he left our kids high and dry with no where to play football. Parents remember these things... I believe his history tells a story. I have one nephew that will play on the varsity and 2 nephews that will probably be on JV next year. I can guarantee you a number of kids would not participate in football if he was their coach. There is also a number of parents that would not want this "man" (?) coaching their kids. My daughters are not in the MCAS system but I keep in touch with a number of former "cheer moms." I have talked with them about this very issue a number of times. No way do they want him around their kids. I am also told by parents how he and his wife are always at the MCHS trying to finagle their way into things. I would think that the MCAS school system and school board would be very reluctant to hire him as well for fear of legal issues. I don't want to talk about anybody in a negative light as well, but surely there are some HS coaches or assistant HS coaches that would love to have the opportunity to coach in the DAC. I don't believe we really need to stoop to this level. The original thread I believe was who will be the new AD. Whoever said Karpinski will not be coaching for MC next year?

Wow.......anyway lets hope they find a new AD and football coach!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(sunny @ Dec 20 2013, 06:47 PM) *

I said it was my GUESS that he would take over as AD and hire a new football coach.
Jesse B
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Dec 21 2013, 09:34 AM) *

I said it was my GUESS that he would take over as AD and hire a new football coach.

The rumor I heard at the gym last night was Karpinski was going to coach for two more years at a minimum and Coach Ormsby or Coach Hirsch would be groomed to take over the football program because they are both well liked and respected in the community and current football program. I can't say if this is true or not but this would be an "obvious fit" with tough financial times. The only concern would be their own time constraints if that would even come into play.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.