Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unemployment back to 10.5%
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://www.chestertontribune.com/Business/...s_in_the_st.htm

* In Michigan City the rate increased to 10.5 percent, from 10.3 percent in May (10.9 percent in June 2013).
diggler
They're not adding retail shops and part timers fast enough.
JFairfield
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 23 2014, 03:50 PM) *

The thing is, the government (or anyone else) does not know what the true unemployment rate is. All they can go by is look at who has filed for unemployment (or continues to collect unemployment benefits).

So people who are unable to collect unemployment will not be counted. Who are the people who cannot file for unemployment? Here is a partial list:
  • Business owners whose businesses went belly up, and trying to find a job
  • People entering the workforce for the first time (school graduates; women entering the workforce due to divorce or death of a spouse)
  • Veterans
  • People whose benefits have expired
  • People who are ineligible for unemployment
  • People entering the workforce after a long illness
  • Retirees who need to find a job

The only thing for certain is that the "official" unemployment rate is the bare minimum.

The only way to know for certain what the true unemployment rate is, is to go door-to-door to ask the residents, "are you unemployed?"

Groucho
A question for those of you who live in Michigan City.

It is interesting to note that nearby localities, like Chesterton, Valparaiso, and Hammond all have significantly lower unemployment numbers. Any idea as to why that is?

I don't live in the area any more and I am surprised that the difference is so high.

In Chesterton the unemployment rate in June increased to 6.0 percent, from 5.8 percent in May

In Valparaiso the unemployment rate in June rose by nearly half a point, to 5.8 percent from 5.4 percent in May

In Portage the unemployment rate in June dipped to 7.9 percent, from 8.1 percent in May

In Hammond the rate rose by fully half a point, to 8.6 percent from 8.1 percent in May

Why is MC so much higher than Chesterton?
diggler
Those nearby localities don't have riverboats.
Ang
Because the people who live in those communities have all the jobs in Michigan City. At my plant, less than 40% of our employees actually live in Michigan City. We employ almost 150 people, and only about 50 of them live in 'City. The rest live in LaPorte, Westville, Valpo, Portage, Chesteron, Rolling, New Carlisle, and points even farther...some in Michigan, some in Lake Co. IN. Even I don't live in Michigan City.
Why? Because very few people who live in Michigan City and apply to work here can pass our pre-employment tests, or drug tests, or physical exams.
And I have no idea the "why" for that...
taxthedeer
QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 20 2014, 12:34 PM) *

Because the people who live in those communities have all the jobs in Michigan City. At my plant, less than 40% of our employees actually live in Michigan City. We employ almost 150 people, and only about 50 of them live in 'City. The rest live in LaPorte, Westville, Valpo, Portage, Chesteron, Rolling, New Carlisle, and points even farther...some in Michigan, some in Lake Co. IN. Even I don't live in Michigan City.
Why? Because very few people who live in Michigan City and apply to work here can pass our pre-employment tests, or drug tests, or physical exams.

It was the same way when I worked at ANCO, especially when it came to upper and middle management. Most were sent from corporate to fill a position, when they were promoted to another plant they would leave and the time that they worked here they commuted to and from places like Granger.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 20 2014, 12:34 PM) *

I'm the opposite. I haven't worked in Michigan City since 1998.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.