Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QB Issues
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Sports
JohnnyCakes
Apparently Ryan Washington is suspended for the Valpo game for poor conduct on the field, besides having a sore ankle.
City is turning to its Sophmore QB James Hinrich?
taxthedeer
QUOTE(JohnnyCakes @ Sep 11 2014, 09:10 AM) *

Apparently Ryan Washington is suspended for the Valpo game for poor conduct on the field, besides having a sore ankle.
City is turning to its Sophmore QB James Hinrich?

Jimmy is a terrific kid and a three sport athlete for City was the freshmen QB all last season and at times had some spurts where he played really well. football, wrestling and track. His mom Sherry is always volunteering and helping out the team all the time.
Jesse B
I find this hard to believe as he is too much of a leader per Coach. It must just be an injury. Although, from what I saw the offense or passing game actual looked better without him. I think the 2nd team player has a ways to go but sometimes you need to cut bait and work with players who are coachable if this is true. I will say this, be careful who you hitch your wagon to. If may end up being your downfall. Good luck to the back up. I hope he can lead the Wolves to a win over Valpo.

JohnnyCakes
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 11 2014, 09:42 AM) *

Jimmy is a terrific kid and a three sport athlete for City was the freshmen QB all last season and at times played really well. football, wrestling and track. His mom Sherry is always volunteering and helping out the team all the time.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know anything about him. I noticed Karp plays the same kids on offense and defense; with 55 players dressed, surely their must be some decent players there?
Jesse B
I'd say the Wolves found their QB for the present and the future couple of years. No reason to make a change at this point.

Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Jesse B @ Sep 13 2014, 04:44 PM) *

I'd say the Wolves found their QB for the present and the future couple of years. No reason to make a change at this point.

Tough call.

I think the sophomore did more of a job of managing the game, and not making mistakes, but there is a large difference between he and Washington's level of ability. Washington has a way bigger arm for sure, and is probably more accurate as well. I don't think Heinrich will win you many games if you need him to do so, but he also won't lose you many games either.
backwoods
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Sep 15 2014, 02:48 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Sep 13 2014, 04:44 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Tough call.

I think the sophomore did more of a job of managing the game, and not making mistakes, but there is a large difference between he and Washington's level of ability. Washington has a way bigger arm for sure, and is probably more accurate as well. I don't think Heinrich will win you many games if you need him to do so, but he also won't lose you many games either.

I Agree with you on this one. I haven't commented as of yet on the Valpo game since i had to work on friday. But I have just seen it on my nephews online film account last night. It seems everyone is calling for more passes from the offense this year. Even from the writer in the paper. My question is why? If city is getting 150-200 plus yards running the ball for the most part every game, why should they. One, the Offensive line is creating big holes for the backs to run thru, and when the backs get into open space they have great instincts and often make the first defender miss. This wears down the other teams defense by keeping them on the field for long grind it out plays. Granted you have to pass it to keep them honest, but if they can continuously run the ball, run it. Here is another thing to look at, if city wasn't running the ball so well to the outside, would the fake outside run pass to the WR have worked as well in overtime? They set that up nice. Hats off to the coaches on that call. And do you really want to throw the ball around with your backup JV QB? He has to get some confidence first and I think that first win gave it to him. I think he did a great job and the coaches put him in a position to manage the game to the best of his ability. He has a bright future here. What i noticed from the film was that our defense was fresh and played hard nosed because of the ball control offense that city ran on friday. I read in the post trib that Valpo only had 7 first downs. Their traditional power runs were shut down. They had 91 rushing yards. And I really thought the defense gained some confidence from the 8 plays from the goal line stand in both over times. I hope they can build upon this. One area that seems to be struggling for the past two weeks has been the kicking game. Missed field goals, blocked field goals, and short punts. Hopefully they can turn that around. Field position is always critical.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(backwoods @ Sep 16 2014, 08:10 AM) *

I Agree with you on this one. I haven't commented as of yet on the Valpo game since i had to work on friday. But I have just seen it on my nephews online film account last night. It seems everyone is calling for more passes from the offense this year. Even from the writer in the paper. My question is why? If city is getting 150-200 plus yards running the ball for the most part every game, why should they. One, the Offensive line is creating big holes for the backs to run thru, and when the backs get into open space they have great instincts and often make the first defender miss. This wears down the other teams defense by keeping them on the field for long grind it out plays. Granted you have to pass it to keep them honest, but if they can continuously run the ball, run it. Here is another thing to look at, if city wasn't running the ball so well to the outside, would the fake outside run pass to the WR have worked as well in overtime? They set that up nice. Hats off to the coaches on that call. And do you really want to throw the ball around with your backup JV QB? He has to get some confidence first and I think that first win gave it to him. I think he did a great job and the coaches put him in a position to manage the game to the best of his ability. He has a bright future here. What i noticed from the film was that our defense was fresh and played hard nosed because of the ball control offense that city ran on friday. I read in the post trib that Valpo only had 7 first downs. Their traditional power runs were shut down. They had 91 rushing yards. And I really thought the defense gained some confidence from the 8 plays from the goal line stand in both over times. I hope they can build upon this. One area that seems to be struggling for the past two weeks has been the kicking game. Missed field goals, blocked field goals, and short punts. Hopefully they can turn that around. Field position is always critical.

There is a whole lot of good stuff in this post. This is a running team now, based on the talent they have on the field. If you believe in molding your playbook around your players, and not vice versa, you run the football until the other team makes you stop.

And yes, the defense was excellent.
JohnnyCakes
The defensive coordinator for city is pathetic, 3rd and 35 and he has the cornerback and the safety playing 2 yards behind the linebackers! Wtf?
backwoods
QUOTE(JohnnyCakes @ Sep 19 2014, 09:07 PM) *

The defensive coordinator for city is pathetic, 3rd and 35 and he has the cornerback and the safety playing 2 yards behind the linebackers! Wtf?

I have been critical of the coaches when i felt it is warranted. On this case it is not. Not sure you seen what you thought you seen, but on that play, the safety was at 9 yards corners were at 7/8 yards. the other safety was at 10 yards. Lbs were at 5 yards. Now I don't know how far off they are suppose to be but to say they are 2 yards deeper then the lbs is not true and to insinuate that the safety was beat deep is not accurate. there was 3 wrs to the right and two to the left. The safety that was to the left was at 9 yards. That is where the pass was thrown. The safety did not get burned deep. The pass was a 5 yard out! In front of the Safety. It was a one on one tackle. If you want to talk about tackling fundamentals that is one thing but saying they were not in a position to make a play is another. After watching the play several times all the other wrs seem to be covered. I was just as frustrated as everyone else in the stands, but it came down to making the tackle. I am sure the kid feels worse then anyone else about it, but looking at it on film it was covered pretty well. The safety breaks on the pass comes up and misses the tackle. Should have been a 5/8 yard gain, but he doesn't make the tackle. Just watched it about 4 times on a relatives online film account.
Southsider2k12
So having gotten to see Heinrich for a couple of weeks now, I think the talent difference between he and Washington is obvious. Ryan has a ton more of physical ability, and it shows on the throws he is able to make. It sounds like Merrillville dared Heinrich to beat them by loading up the box against the running game, and he wasn't able to do so.

That being said, as a Sophomore on the big stage, I have no problem with his performance. I think he will grow into a solid HS QB as his body and mentality matures.
Michigan City Wolves
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Sep 25 2014, 04:05 PM) *

So having gotten to see Heinrich for a couple of weeks now, I think the talent difference between he and Washington is obvious. Ryan has a ton more of physical ability, and it shows on the throws he is able to make. It sounds like Merrillville dared Heinrich to beat them by loading up the box against the running game, and he wasn't able to do so.

That being said, as a Sophomore on the big stage, I have no problem with his performance. I think he will grow into a solid HS QB as his body and mentality matures.

I agree, but hopefully Washington can get back soon. Wonder how he is and if he can go against LC this week. I think you should start a healthy Ryan Washington but I agree, future is bright with Heinrich.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Michigan City Wolves @ Sep 25 2014, 04:36 PM) *

I agree, but hopefully Washington can get back soon. Wonder how he is and if he can go against LC this week. I think you should start a healthy Ryan Washington but I agree, future is bright with Heinrich.

Washington is my starter too if I am the head coach.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.